Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Bob Harris 40 Years On The Radio.

Old 17-04-2014, 20:21
radio4extracrap
Forum Member

Is Clive Bull and his Lbc programme the best of talk/chat programmes/stations? I think so. A varied subject matter, knowledgeable and interesting experts and a very professional and pleasant presenter.
radio4extracrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 17-04-2014, 20:46
radiodad
Forum Member

Is Clive Bull and his Lbc programme the best of talk/chat programmes/stations? I think so. A varied subject matter, knowledgeable and interesting experts and a very professional and pleasant presenter.
Theres always something very soothing about listening to Clive on the way home from work. Its nice for the half hour i'm in the car to just relax after a long day with Clives dulcet tones on the radio.
radiodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 20:58
radio4extracrap
Forum Member

Theres always something very soothing about listening to Clive on the way home from work. Its nice for the half hour i'm in the car to just relax after a long day with Clives dulcet tones on the radio.
Yes I agree. It seems so natural for him; and does not fancy himself. And the nation can enjoy now via DAB. There are four or five presenters paid no doubt lots by the state broadcaster who could learn a lot from Clive if their ego could take it.
radio4extracrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 21:08
darkisland
Forum Member

. There are four or five presenters paid no doubt lots by the state broadcaster who could learn a lot from Clive if their ego could take it.

Indeed.
darkisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 21:25
radioviewer
Forum Member

"Hello I'm Clive Bull. What is your favourite Twix bar? I like the small ones. Give us a ring on Leading Britain's Conservatives."
radioviewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 22:02
Bandspread199
Forum Member

A load of Bull!!
Bandspread199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 23:21
Radiomaniac
Forum Member

"Hello I'm Clive Bull. What is your favourite Twix bar? I like the small ones. Give us a ring on Leading Britain's Conservatives."
Have you listened to Clive in the last 30 years? Because that's about at least how long ago he may have done that sort of thing.

Clive Bull = First Radio Lord.
Radiomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 11:28
hyperstarsponge
Forum Member

Is Clive Bull doing a pre recorded show or a live show today? Its suppose to be Britain's Leading Conversion by the way.
hyperstarsponge is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 14:35
catherine91
Forum Member

Yes, I've liked what I've heard of his show since the station arrived on national DAB.
catherine91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 19:37
DartfordHoop
Forum Member

Clive Bull is up there with the best of them but for me, Nick Abbot just beats him.
DartfordHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 19:39
Richard1960
Forum Member

Yes very much so i do find him very bland.

A few years ago(in the 1990s) indeed he did host an hours worth of conversation on peoples favourite biscuit.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He is now back to his usual self which is not a bad listen if not a bit bland as he never seems to engage in proper debate.
Richard1960 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 01:42
Ennerjee
Forum Member

Is Clive Bull doing a pre recorded show or a live show today? Its supposed to be Britain's Leading Conversion by the way.
By the way, it's "Leading Britain's Conversation".

"BLC" ? More logically for this thread "CLB" could refer to Clive Bull though
Ennerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 13:33
La Rhumba
Forum Member

Why do people comment when they've clearly not heard his show?

Is Clive Bull doing a pre recorded show or a live show today?
Clive will never do a pre-recorded show, the nature of his show is live conversation and debate. The only pre-recorded show on LBC is Steve Allen's "In Conversation", and a 'highlights' package of Breakfast is put out in the early hours at the weekend.

Yes very much so i do find him very bland.

A few years ago(in the 1990s) indeed he did host an hours worth of conversation on peoples favourite biscuit.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

He is now back to his usual self which is not a bad listen if not a bit bland as he never seems to engage in proper debate.
I completely disagree! Since Clive got his mojo back (I never knew if it was ill health or he needed a break or what the problem was?) and has returned to LBC he has been on top form, and often the best broadcaster on the station by far!!
So nice to see a thread to him, as I was livid yesterday with that interminable Observer article focusing on the same presenters - Ferrari, O'Brien, Dale, even Burley got a mention! - but no word about the guy who's been doing it for decades, in his own quiet way, who started off as Brian Hayes's Phone Op, then presented the kid's show Jellybone, and then moved to Overnights at the weekend creating his broadcasting legend that Ian Collins stole from on Creatures of the Night.

You say he doesn't "engage in proper debate". I totally disagree. What he doesn't do is the Nolan/Barkes routine of repeating a slogan from the top of the hour to the end, with no progression of a discussion. Clive allows the debate to flow naturally, and allows callers time to talk and give information to illuminate a subject. I agree with the OP, Derbyshire/Nolan et al could learn alot from Clive in being open minded and not steering a discussion how they want it to go.

Long may he continue on LBC! He's a Londoner, he's been at the station man and boy, and his listeners can relate to him. Those who moan about LBC being a Tory mouthpiece probably only listen to Breakfast and never hear shows like the one Olly Mann did (before Bob Crowe died) during the last Tube strike, where 90% of callers said they supported the strike and the reasons for it. But sneering journos on the Guardian never write about that, do they? It doesn't fit their stereotypical view of LBC. Did the news media bother to ask how Ken Livingstone was elected as Mayor years ago? Partly due to his appearances on LBC, and voters hearing the real man behind the tabloid headlines. Whilst the Press go on about Nick Ferarri, Dale, Julia H.B etc. when I tune in to LBC, it's mostly to the presenters who never get a mention, like Clive Bull.
La Rhumba is offline   Reply With Quote