Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Free Glasses

Old 05-08-2010, 16:30
sheikyerbootie
Forum Member

I went to the opticians today for my free eye test, and they gave me free glasses AND sunglasses. I expected to pay, especially as they were designer specs, but no, they were free. Saved me a couple of hundred quid as they were varifocals
sheikyerbootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-08-2010, 16:33
Picto
Forum Member

Free is my favourite price.
Picto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:33
chattamanuk
Forum Member

I went to the opticians today for my free eye test, and they gave me free glasses AND sunglasses. I expected to pay, especially as they were designer specs, but no, they were free. Saved me a couple of hundred quid as they were varifocals
Well done. What would you like to discuss?
chattamanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:36
sheikyerbootie
Forum Member

Well done. What would you like to discuss?
OAP perks of course
Old 05-08-2010, 16:36
Azagoth
Inactive Member

You can't get free glasses, if you're getting them on the NHS then you get so much off the list price. I think it's something around the 50 mark. Or is there some other way of getting them that I haven't explored?

Also, I'm pretty impressed with an Optician that can do your eye-test and produce two pairs of vari-focal lenses and fit them into your chosen frames on the same day. The last time I got my new glasses, about a month ago, I had to wait up to a week for the lenses to be properly fixed into the frames.
Azagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:42
crazychris12

I thought this would be about the free McDonald's Coke glasses!!
crazychris12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:43
crazychris12

Also, I'm pretty impressed with an Optician that can do your eye-test and produce two pairs of vari-focal lenses and fit them into your chosen frames on the same day. The last time I got my new glasses, about a month ago, I had to wait up to a week for the lenses to be properly fixed into the frames.
Agreed. No-one gets their glasses the same day as their eye-test. OP please tell me how I get them free. I'm on IB and still don't get them free.
Old 05-08-2010, 16:47
sheikyerbootie
Forum Member

You can't get free glasses, if you're getting them on the NHS then you get so much off the list price. I think it's something around the 50 mark. Or is there some other way of getting them that I haven't explored?

Of course I didn't get them today. The prescription has to be made up. 10-14 days although I agree, it should be quicker for OAPs.
Old 05-08-2010, 16:52
crazychris12

Of course I didn't get them today. The prescription has to be made up. 10-14 days although I agree, it should be quicker for OAPs.
You're an OAP then? I've still got 15 years to go.
Old 05-08-2010, 16:57
alan29
Forum Member

Where from. I have just paid 270 for a pair of varifocals. It would have been more but I laughed in the salesgirls face when she suggested "designer" frames - AS IF.
alan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:02
Hypnodisc
Forum Member

Agreed. No-one gets their glasses the same day as their eye-test. OP please tell me how I get them free. I'm on IB and still don't get them free.
You get them free on Income Support, Income related JSA, Income related ESA, Pension credit guarantee credit or named on a HC2/HC3 certificate.

Every 2 years you get a free voucher for glasses (up to 40 or so IIRC- so you can get 1 pair of glasses from Specsavers etc.) and a free eye-test.
Hypnodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:05
Vinnienet
Inactive Member

I work. I pay for everything. I must be a mug!
Vinnienet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:06
crazychris12

You get them free on Income Support, Income related JSA, Income related ESA, Pension credit guarantee credit or named on a HC2/HC3 certificate.

Every 2 years you get a free voucher for glasses (up to 40 or so IIRC- so you can get 1 pair of glasses from Specsavers etc.) and a free eye-test.
I'm not on any of those and our family income is too high for me to qualify for a HC2 or HC3.
Old 05-08-2010, 17:08
Dragonlady 25
Forum Member

No, not a mug, just a young-un!!!
Dragonlady 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:09
Ignazio
Forum Member

Nonsense and you know it.
Ignazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:10
Hypnodisc
Forum Member

I'm not on any of those and our family income is too high for me to qualify for a HC2 or HC3.
It's a shit deal really, you would think IB would qualify - but I don't think you get free normal prescriptions on IB either!

Which is crap because you do get them on JSA/ESA/IS
Hypnodisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:10
calamity
Forum Member

IM a pensioner and have to pay for my glasses. the full price too.
calamity is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:12
crazychris12

It's a shit deal really, you would think IB would qualify - but I don't think you get free normal prescriptions on IB either!

Which is crap because you do get them on JSA/ESA/IS
No you don't. I've to pay for all my prescriptions cos my wife works part-time now so we're just over the cut-off point for a HC2.
Old 05-08-2010, 17:17
denzl
Forum Member

Yeah, but surely you wouldn't want to swap your life for the alternative of poverty + a free pair of varifocals.
denzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:21
sheikyerbootie
Forum Member

Nonsense and you know it.
So I failed at the first hurdle then?
Old 05-08-2010, 17:21
calamity
Forum Member

like you I pay for everything , and dont work now..my old aunt on the other hand gets everything , free dentists, glasses and gets extra money for having arthritis. this is because she gets income support I think they call it.
calamity is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:25
Jane Doh!
Forum Member

So I failed at the first hurdle then?
LMAO!
Jane Doh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:50
Caxton
Forum Member

IM a pensioner and have to pay for my glasses. the full price too.
So do I but I expect that is because I have worked damn hard all my life and put money in a private pension scheme to provide for my retirement.

But then, look at a scenario, if I was female around 21 and had four children after shacking up when and if I felt like it with every guy in sight, and had no idea who their fathers were and didn't care, I too might qualify for free specs and most other things free too. That is our wonderful benefits system.
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:50
Red Whine
Forum Member

If you go to Vision Express they can make up a prescription in an hour, so it is possible.
Red Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 18:21
Dan Fortesque
Forum Member

So do I but I expect that is because I have worked damn hard all my life and put money in a private pension scheme to provide for my retirement.

But then, look at a scenario, if I was female around 21 and had four children after shacking up when and if I felt like it with every guy in sight, and had no idea who their fathers were and didn't care, I too might qualify for free specs and most other things free too. That is our wonderful benefits system.
I'm sure you'd rather be comfortably off though, and able to afford to buy whatever glasses you like, instead of living on the breadline and not having much choice of what the voucher affords.
Dan Fortesque is offline   Reply With Quote