Should you be allowed to bring your own food and drink into the cinema?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
Forum Member
When I go to the cinema I go to watch the film. So therefore I feel that I should be allowed to bring my own food and drink. I feel that I pay for the privilege to watch the film, which it is quite expensive, but then to be told I am not allowed to bring in my own refreshments is a scandal.

They don’t even let you take the food and drink in regardless of whether or not you are going to eat it. Yesterday they took a packet of Haribos off me that was supposed to be for my little brother who was at home. I bet the staff enjoyed them.

I am not against the cinema selling food and drinks, but you should have an option on whether or not you bring your own in after all you are paying to see the film and not sitting in a restaurant. What do you think?

Comments

• KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always take my own in. Don't most people?
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday they took a packet of Haribos off me that was supposed to be for my little brother who was at home. I bet the staff enjoyed them.

You let them?

I think you need to grow a pair and stand up for yourself.
  • BookendsBookends Posts: 3,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree.

They confiscated your haribos and didn't give them back after the film ended? The thievin', robbin' bastewards...
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Within reason. I don't want to sit next to someone eating a pizza or KFC but drinks and sweats are ok.

Still considering the mark ups on cinema bought items the tickets would need to go up considerably to make up the shortfall.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »

I do but I don't carry stuff through in plain view coz I know it's rather frowned upon to say the least... I often have rather large handbags so the goodies go in there... unless they're going to stop me for a search they have no way of knowing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's up to the cinema. Some cinema's I've been to don't have a problem at all with people taking in their own food and drink, others have been quite strict about it. I don't take food to a cinema anyway, like you say it's the film you go for, it's not a restaurant. I also get annoyed by people eating and making noise while I'm trying to enjoy a film I've paid a good few quid for, so I stay at home more now and wait for the dvd. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work at the Odeon, our policy is you can bring in as massive a bag of food as you want just not fish and chips and pizzas and hot things like that because they are smelly. We usually keep pizzas and stuff behind our retail area (where we sell popcorn and hotdogs) for safe keeping :). I know that Cineworld are quite strict about it I am not sure about Vue and the others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »
    Within reason. I don't want to sit next to someone eating a pizza or KFC but drinks and sweats are ok.

Still considering the mark ups on cinema bought items the tickets would need to go up considerably to make up the shortfall.

Fair point. I think a line would need to be drawn at cooked foodstuff...
  • M30M30 Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local cinema charges £9.99 for two large drinks and a large popcorn.

It's a total disgrace, so I always have some haribo in my pocket.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »

I do. I always have a stash in my handbag. I've never had anyone take anything off of me, at the cinema or anywhere else.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always take my own food and drink with me, and God help anybody who tries to steal.

I can't believe that you actually let them take them from you. You should have just told them to do one!
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a cinema. You're allowed to bring in your own things, only not alcohol or hot food, like a chinese. Other than that, we understand the prices are high and not everyone wants to pay for them.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bookends wrote: »
    I do but I don't carry stuff through in plain view coz I know it's rather frowned upon to say the least... I often have rather large handbags so the goodies go in there... unless they're going to stop me for a search they have no way of knowing.

Back in my student days I was the one who managed to smuggle spirits into the pub too. I had a very handy inside pocket but they only ever checked my handbag. Didn't get caught once.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can last the length of a film without eating or drinking.:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually take my own sweets if I want anything like that, although I agree about not allowing hot food. I had a friend who would take a roast chicken in to eat which I find disgusting, greasy hands everywhere ugh. Somethings are not appropriate in a cinema.
  • Rose BuddRose Budd Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see a problem so long as you don't leave empty wrappers and rubbish behind
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've been a few times recently - it's nearly £11 each where we are so I'll take in whatever I want with me!! I'm not paying an extra £10 for refreshments.

OH likes cinema popcorn though so he always buys some and it's not that noticeable that I am smuggling in goodies :o
  • sallycamebacksallycameback Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graathus wrote: »

I don't think I would like to be beside a person who drinks and sweats to be honest.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hip flasks FT proverbial W!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 444
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why people want to eat in a cinema surely you can go two hours without eating crisps and slurping juice.Listening to people constantly shoveling crap down their throats is one of the reasons I stopped going to the pictures, well that and the incessant chatter:rolleyes:
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't mind so much our bringing food in, last time. It was the setting-up of the barbecue in the middle-aisle that raised eyebrows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that part of the reason cinemas rip you off with their food/drink prices is that you're also paying for someone to tidy up after you've left your half eaten box of popcorn on the floor.....so, if people were allowed to bring in their own food, would the price of the tickets be increased to cover the cleaning?
  • GraathusGraathus Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jafsie wrote: »
    I've never understood why people want to eat in a cinema surely you can go two hours without eating crisps and slurping juice.

It's a little thing called being a pleasurable experiance.

Try it some time.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't pay to watch the film at all, you pay for whatever the premises expects you to pay for when you enter, it's part of the agreement that you make with them when you hand your money over.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    They didn't mind so much our bringing food in, last time. It was the setting-up of the barbecue in the middle-aisle that raised eyebrows.

At our local Odeon, they didn't much like us erecting our tent at the front and setting out the table and chairs either.