Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Lottery ticket went in the wash

Old 02-09-2010, 15:11
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Like it says in the subject line... it's in a sorry state and in a few bits. I doubt the barcode can be scanned. I can just about make out all the numbers.

Oh, and it would be a problem if it wasn't a winning ticket! I shan't say how much lest it colours your advice!

What can I do? I don't think a retailer will entertain me.
HaraHeeHum is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 02-09-2010, 15:13
whackyracer

Why would the amount make any difference to the advice? Not like we know you?
whackyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:15
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

Why would the amount make any difference to the advice? Not like we know you?
I was only joking about that bit...
Old 02-09-2010, 15:15
c4rv
Forum Member

If it is a major winning ticket then I am sure in the press they have said that if you can name the place you purchased it, plus date/time then you may have a claim.
c4rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:16
whackyracer

I was only joking about that bit...
Just that bit?
whackyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:16
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

If it is a major winning ticket then I am sure in the press they have said that if you can name the place you purchased it, plus date/time then you may have a claim.
OK... and if it's just a tenner?
Old 02-09-2010, 15:18
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

No there are a couple of other bits too...
Old 02-09-2010, 15:18
hugsie
Forum Member

You would have to try contacting National Lottery and giving them all the info about the ticket you have. Numbers, where purchased, time of purchase and any other tickets bought at the same time.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/pl...store/faqs.ftl
What if my draw-based game ticket has not been produced at all, or has been partly produced, by a checkout? Or it has been lost, stolen or destroyed?

In these circumstances, you need to send a written notice to Prize Payout Department, The National Lottery, PO Box 287, Tolpits Lane, Watford, Herts WD18 9TT. The notice should contain as much information as possible including the game played, the relevant draw date, your chosen numbers and the date and place of purchase. If your ticket has not been produced at all by a checkout, or has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you must make sure that your completed claim reaches Camelot by 5.00pm on the 30th day after the date of the relevant draw. If you have provided sufficient evidence to do so, Camelot will then inform you of your number selections (if applicable) and will investigate and consider the validity of your claim for a prize. If your ticket would have covered more than one draw for the same game, you are advised to submit your claim by 5.00pm on the 30th day after the first draw to which your ticket would have related. If your ticket has been partly produced, you must make sure your completed claim reaches Camelot by 5.00pm on the 180th day after the date of the relevant draw. Camelot will then determine at its discretion whether you have a valid claim. If your ticket would have covered more than one draw for the same game, you are advised to submit your claim by 5.00pm on the 180th day after the first draw to which that ticket would have related.
hugsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:30
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

You would have to try contacting National Lottery and giving them all the info about the ticket you have. Numbers, where purchased, time of purchase and any other tickets bought at the same time.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/pl...store/faqs.ftl
OK thanks - I might just send them the damaged ticket to the address you've found and hopefully they will send me a crisp tenner in return.
Old 02-09-2010, 15:32
johnny_t
Forum Member

OK thanks - I might just send them the damaged ticket to the address you've found and hopefully they will send me a crisp tenner in return.
Probably nothing to lose in doing that, but I'd just try assembling as many bits on my scanner as possible and send them that in the first instance...
johnny_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:35
sleepydove
Forum Member

OK... and if it's just a tenner?
If it's just a tenner then you can't claim that money in a shop unless the bar code is able to be scanned. No shop will give you money unless their lottery machine is able to scan the ticket and, for that, the bar code needs to be in pretty good condition.
sleepydove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:43
HaraHeeHum
Forum Member

If it's just a tenner then you can't claim that money in a shop unless the bar code is able to be scanned. No shop will give you money unless their lottery machine is able to scan the ticket and, for that, the bar code needs to be in pretty good condition.
I doubt it will scan - ticket is in bits. Torn through the barcode.
Old 02-09-2010, 15:48
chrisjr
Forum Member

Somewhere printed on the ticket will be the Ticket Number. If you can read that then that should be all the National Lottery need to identify it.
chrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:52
PigginNosey
Forum Member

hi I managed to rip my lottery ticket up then realised I had done it for both draws.... then won a tenner on the Weds draw. I sent the pieces to Camelot and they sent me a cheque. As long as somethiing is legible and you provide details of when and where you bought it can be validated.

Good luck.... nothing to lose a 38p stamp for a tenner!

Last edited by PigginNosey : 02-09-2010 at 15:53. Reason: check/cheque doh!
PigginNosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 15:55
grumpyscot
Forum Member

Just hope you don't get reported for money laundering
grumpyscot is offline   Reply With Quote