Aliens vs Predator Requiem - IT'S TOO EFFIN' DARK!!!

Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm watching this on Channel 4 and all I can see is shadowy figures running around with the occasional bursts of bright flourescent liquid.
Am I supposed to watch this with nightvision goggles?

Comments

• KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    lol, I was just thinking the same thing. I assumed it was because it's easier to hide a multitude of dodgy visual effects and men-in-rubber-suits when it's dark.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its also too effin' shite... switch off now!
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »

I'm only half watching it as I'm on the computer but it does seem predictably crap. Nothing beats the original film, a masterpiece of art direction and metaphor. I'm dreading Scott's prequel as I doubt he'll come close to achieving any of the brilliance of the earlier film.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm only half watching it as I'm on the computer but it does seem predictably crap. Nothing beats the original film, a masterpiece of art direction and metaphor. I'm dreading Scott's prequel as I doubt he'll come close to achieving any of the brilliance of the earlier film.

The John Hurt seen was classic cinema, it's aged well too.
    Forum Member
    The John Hurt scene was classic cinema, it's aged well too.

True. The whole film is superb. Ok, so it's essentially a 'big dark house' movie with people getting picked off one-by-one, but it was done with a beauty and intensity of atmosphere that raised it far above the norm. And the alien itself was an extraordinary creation, plus it's genuinely scary. The bit where Dallas is looking for it in the tunnels is incredibly unnerving. I was about 9 when it came out and I can still remember the posters for it outside the cinema, with the egg cracking open and a phosphorescent glow emanating from underneath and the words 'in space no-one can hear you scream'. Just the idea of it terrified me even before I saw it, many years later.
  • The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed!
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The John Hurt seen was classic cinema, it's aged well too.

Did you ever hear that story about how the cast didn't know what was going to happen in that scene? Wonder if it was true... sounds a bit like a myth to me... I mean surely they must have had some idea when they had Hurt all stocked up with fake blood and a plastic Alien!
    Forum Member
    Did you ever hear that story about how the cast didn't know what was going to happen in that scene? Wonder if it was true... sounds a bit like a myth to me... I mean surely they must have had some idea when they had Hurt all stocked up with fake blood and a plastic Alien!

Apparently it's semi-true!
    For the filming of the chestburster scene the cast members knew that the creature would be bursting out of Hurt, and had seen the chestburster puppet, but they had not been told that fake blood would also be bursting out in every direction from high-pressure pumps and squibs

When the creature burst through the chest a stream of blood shot directly at Veronica Cartwright, shocking her enough that she fell over and went into hysterics. According to Tom Skerritt: "What you saw on camera was the real response. She had no idea what the hell happened. All of a sudden this thing just came up."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_%28film%29#Chestburster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol I've gotta say....so far it's a lot of high contrast green effects, with tigers growling in slow motion

some of it just seems a bit too fast. should be more waiting
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was one of the biggest criticisms raised about this movie on release. It really is too dark, but then that's just a cynical way to hide the below par special effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok i think i can review this.

Lots of dark things happening. not sure. then
    predator blokey gets in fight with alien/predator hybrid. mr predator rips off his bitey tongue, shoves dagger up into hybrids head, that sorts him out. then they both get nuked.

then its daylight again, something happens at the very end, not sure what because i was writing this.
  • The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

predator blokey gets in fight with alien/predator hybrid. mr predator rips off his bitey tongue, shoves dagger up into hybrids head, that sorts him out. then they both get nuked.

then its daylight again, something happens at the very end, not sure what because i was writing this.

Now thats my kind of review, to the point, no fcuking about, job done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    I thought this was alright. Not great, but I had low expectations and it exceeded them.
  • SkyknightSkyknight Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn you brightness up
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Haha.

I used to be a big, big fan of the Alien movies. I even started a rather well-known website about it all.

Whenever a new Alien movie is released I'm always the eternal optimist and hope that they WILL make something impressive, scary and thought-provoking and I'm always disappointed.

As usual when an Alien movie is released I dragged the missus to the cinema to watch AVP:R and, as usual, I was thoroughly disappointed afterwards.

The worst part (aside from the unremitting darkness that people have already mentioned) was that, even as I was walking down the cinema steps, I realised that I didn't really know what it had been about.

Seriously, I got the general idea of the plot but I couldn't actually tell you what happened.
    Aliens crash on Earth, lots of people running around, Army gets involved and then there's a big explosion.
    Beyond that I really couldn't begin to tell you what actually happened.

At least the first AVP movie had a discernable story, even if it was cr*p.

Oh, the missus bought me the AVP:R game for my PSP for xmas that year and, I swear, the game is a hundred times better than the film. It's a terrific little TPS with lots of clever little elements.
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I can't believe I stayed up to watch this but probably being drunk helped. I couldn't make head nor tail of what was happening - was I looking at a predator or an alien? No idea because they both seemed to look the same in the darkness. They may have well made it an audio recording as there was nothing to see most of the time.
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    such a shockingly bad film

the bit where the woman says "he's had a bad night" about her son - who had just seen his dad killed by an alien
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hated this, I rented it from Blockbuster not long ago. It has to be one of the worst films I've ever seen, along with The Ex and Shredderman Rules.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1: it's set at night
    2: there are no lights as *** ***** ******* *** ****** ** ** *** ******** /spoiler

you'd have to have seen the first AvP movie to get why they crashlanded, and it's not THAT bad a movie (ok the "get to the choppa could have been written better and differently) and there was sometimes not that much panic with the main characters ..... but those hospital scenes were horrific (bloody aliens tch) and it was exciting as it certainly motored along

i actually enjoyed both AvP movies (being a fan of both characters helps)
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,288
    Forum Member
    Dave Stent wrote: »
    I'm watching this on Channel 4 and all I can see is shadowy figures running around with the occasional bursts of bright flourescent liquid.
    Am I supposed to watch this with nightvision goggles?

I was watching that and thought exactly the same thing.
  • jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »
    1: it's set at night
    2: there are no lights as *** ***** ******* *** ****** ** ** *** ******** /spoiler

you'd have to have seen the first AvP movie to get why they crashlanded, and it's not THAT bad a movie (ok the "get to the choppa could have been written better and differently) and there was sometimes not that much panic with the main characters ..... but those hospital scenes were horrific (bloody aliens tch) and it was exciting as it certainly motored along

i actually enjoyed both AvP movies (being a fan of both characters helps)

That's no excuse! :D

Those hospital scene with the (pregnant?) women were genuinely shocking and unexpected. I didn't expect that in a popcorn blockbuster.

As another poster's said it was difficult to make out which wsa which - is that the 'Predalien' or the original alien.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved this movie. Sure, I don't care about any of the human characters in it, but I never do really. I watch it to see my fave movie monster of all time (the Predator) being awesome. Which he was. Dicing aliens left, right and centre. All I wanted out of the movie, tbh!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member

God knows why...but I too watched this pile of sh*t on Saturday night.....Thanks for your succinct summary....Lol...but I had to laugh because I was totally unaware there was a Alien/Predator hybrid:o
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't thought it too bad watching in the cinema, but I found I had no time for it the other night. I just dipped into the bit at the start (with the Predator's planet), and the bit at the end (with Ms. Yatuni).

They made it very generic. One alien monster runs around killing people. Another alien monster runs around trying to stop it. Humans get in the way. It was just a mechanical working-through of that.

I think the core idea of facing predators with aliens is broken. Awesome plus awesome does not equal awesome.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,I did a review for this on Lovefilm.I believe the gist was...

"Dark aliens fighting dark predators,....in the dark.:rolleyes:

You really do have to wonder about the mentality of the people who bring this sort of unviewable shite to screen.Can they seriously watch it back and say that it is an acceptable fim for a general audience? Absolutely shocking.:mad:

I have nothing against moody lighting for films,like say Blade Runner for instance,but when you literally can not see what is going on,it is absolutely pointless.