Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Celebs who act nice in the spotlight but are horrible in person

Old 05-01-2013, 00:02
mazzy50
Forum Member

But my favourite story isn't actually one of my own. A friend of mine told me this story about one of her friends who went to an expensive restaurant in London with her boyfriend as a treat for their anniversary. While they were there they spotted Bono sitting at one of the tables in the corner. They're both massive U2 fans but they've heard he can be a little bit frosty when approached so they waited until he went to the bathroom and went over to his friend to 'test the water' and see if he'd mind signing stuff for them. The friend was lovely and said he'd wave them over if Bono said it was okay. In the end Bono was really nice and they were waved over and got pictures and autographs but my favourite part of the story is when they went to pay the bill and were told that it had been taken care of. They asked if Bono had payed for the meal and the reply was no, the friend had paid for their meal. Mr Bruce Springsteen hoped they had a lovely experience and enjoyed the meal!
How cool is Bruce Springsteen! What a lovely story.
That's odd - you see I was sure I had already heard this story quite recently, so I had a look. Your friend's story sounds suspiciously like the one I found here - only this was in Dublin, not London:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/tourn...ry_moloney.htm

I understand someone went on Graham Norton telling the same story too. There are also at least two slightly different versions quoted or linked in the Graham Norton Show thread (posts 173-178):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...1747451&page=8

So, it does sound like a nice story and may have happened once, but who to and where is a bit more uncertain.
mazzy50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-01-2013, 15:14
woot_whoo
Forum Member

I'm sorry but i can't believe that!
I'm afraid I've read the same things about Ms Whitfield in the past. Allegedly, she's always been a bit of a dragon and her politics are slightly to the right of Ghengis Khan.
woot_whoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:23
paperplanes_
Forum Member

The Bruce Sringsteen/ Bono story is lovely! What cool guys!
paperplanes_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:51
sunnymeg
Forum Member

One of my friends works for a bank. Her branch is close to a famous public school. Several years ago, she served Pierce Brosnan whose son was at the public school. The computer prompted her to ask for identification and she couldn't override it. Pierce Brosnan was amused at the situation and was completely happy to provide the ID, which he had in his wallet, just as a ordinary person would. Joan Collins also uses the same branch occasionally and is also very nice. One time the branch were raising money for a local charity and had a poster about the charity in the banking hall. Not only did Joan Collins make a handsome donation, she sent the branch some signed photos to be auctioned off.
sunnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 15:57
lexi22
Inactive Member

That's odd - you see I was sure I had already heard this story quite recently, so I had a look. Your friend's story sounds suspiciously like the one I found here - only this was in Dublin, not London:

So, it does sound like a nice story and may have happened once, but who to and where is a bit more uncertain.
As long as it happened somewhere to someone, doesn't really matter. Still a great story and Bruce Springsteen is known to be a really stand-up guy, I 've read some great stories over the years about him and the charity work he does so it's easy to see him doing somethng like this, whether in London, Dublin or wherever!
lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 17:27
Eurostar
Forum Member

I've heard a lot of anecdotes about both Bono and Springsteen and apparently they're two great guys and very friendly towards their fans
Eurostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:04
Eddie Badger
Forum Member

I once spoke to someone who had interviewed Springsteen and he said that he can usually suss out what a person's like within a few minutes of meeting them and that Springsteen was one of the good guys.

He said he was down to earth, no airs or graces and friendly and when the interview was over they went outside and some fans were waiting. Springsteen went over to them and spent ages chatting, signing autographs and posing for pictures with them
Eddie Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:19
MuSiKe
Inactive Member

My sister went to the Little Mix album signing and said that all of the girls were lovely, especially Jesy.
MuSiKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:51
Glenn A
Forum Member

Not that well known outside the North East, but I've met Ray Laidlaw out of Lindisfarne and he is one of the most down to earth celebs.
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 18:55
Glenn A
Forum Member

Don't approach James Bolam, seemingly he hates being recognised and won't talk to fans. Also he still has this petty feud going with Rodney Bewes, who is completely the opposite and will talk for hours about The Likely Lads.
Old 05-01-2013, 19:28
Butterface
Forum Member

My mum went to see a play in London and she and her friends saw Dennis Waterman in the pub opposite the theatre. She went over and asked for his autograph, he asked her where she was from, she told him and he sneered, "s'pose someone's got to come from there..." She promptly withdrew the bit of paper she'd given him, snatched the pen away and walked off.

She said not only was he snidey, but he stunk of booze.
Butterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 20:21
Glenn A
Forum Member

My mum went to see a play in London and she and her friends saw Dennis Waterman in the pub opposite the theatre. She went over and asked for his autograph, he asked her where she was from, she told him and he sneered, "s'pose someone's got to come from there..." She promptly withdrew the bit of paper she'd given him, snatched the pen away and walked off.

She said not only was he snidey, but he stunk of booze.
He was horrible to a group of disabled children once, when my relatives took them on a Sunshine coach to London. He snarled and walked away from them. OTOH Ian Ogilvy was a real gent and posed with them for photos.
Old 05-01-2013, 20:45
SunnyMcSunny

There's a lovely story about Keith Urban (aka Mr Nicole Kidman) buying a guitar peddle for a teenager that has always stuck in my mind: http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertain...243859264.html

There are some good celebs out there after all. I can understand people wanting a bit of time to themselves, or having off days and being a bit grumpy, but all these reports of people being consistently nasty are a real shame. I suppose some people lose their perspective after being famous for so long.
SunnyMcSunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:27
FantasticMrFox
Forum Member

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/tourn...ry_moloney.htm

I understand someone went on Graham Norton telling the same story too. There are also at least two slightly different versions quoted or linked in the Graham Norton Show thread (posts 173-178):

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showt...1747451&page=8

That it does. I don't actually know this person it supposedly happened to but the thought that it happened to anyone at all is lovely. They're such cool guys.
FantasticMrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 21:45
Mallaha
Forum Member

There are lots of threads like these on discussion forums around the internet, and Dennis Waterman's name comes up as often as Cilla Black's.
Mallaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32
neelia
Forum Member

Interesting to see the comments about Jimmy Saville from years ago.

I met Barry McGuigan, Simon Callow, Patrick Kielty and Christine Bleakley at a do - all lovely.

Did an interview with Jeremy Vine and while I was waiting to go into the studio, Jimmy Carr came in and sat down (I presume he was doing another show). He was really easy to chat to. I was a bit nervous and he was reassuring me and we ended up telling each other jokes.
neelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:08
Gill P
Forum Member

Oh what happened? Did you see her in person? I've read stories that she plays the "Do you know who I'am?" card in public.
This is true. I was in a lift at Earls Court (London Boat Show) when she stepped in and looked at me as though I'd crawled out of the cheese! This was in about 1982
Gill P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:52
johartuk
Forum Member

I've encountered Rowan Atkinson in public. He doesn't like talking to "little people", and thinks that normal folk being in his general vicinity counts as "disrespecting his privacy".

I ignored him anyway.
My uncle and cousin used to see Rowan Atkinson from time to time at classic/vintage car events. Their impression of him was that he was rather shy and introverted, but generally OK. I suspect that's probably the case, rather than being snobby and disliking talking to 'little people'.
johartuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 14:02
Liamforking
Inactive Member

I once spoke to someone who had interviewed Springsteen and he said that he can usually suss out what a person's like within a few minutes of meeting them and that Springsteen was one of the good guys.

He said he was down to earth, no airs or graces and friendly and when the interview was over they went outside and some fans were waiting. Springsteen went over to them and spent ages chatting, signing autographs and posing for pictures with them
For me The Boss is the greatest singer/songwriter that has ever lived. A true genius. Nice to hear that he's a good guy too.
Liamforking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 17:24
Glenn A
Forum Member

I met Jim Watt at the local boxing club. He was a real character, cracking jokes and buying people drinks. Also a good egg was Henry Cooper, a decent man who wanted to meet his fans.
Old 06-01-2013, 17:36
Mandark
Forum Member

For me The Boss is the greatest singer/songwriter that has ever lived. A true genius. Nice to hear that he's a good guy too.
I used to have a mate who thought the same. I'm sure there must be subliminal brain washing messages in his songs!!
Mandark is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 18:06
Glenn A
Forum Member

It seems Cilla Black is getting a very bad press. I don't know anyone who has met her, so can't comment.
Old 06-01-2013, 18:35
Big Boy Barry
Forum Member

Jimmy Savile
Big Boy Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 19:12
tuppencehapenny
Forum Member

It's a pretty common urban myth, though. Not to be taken as gospel.
tuppencehapenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 19:36
quirkyquirk
Forum Member

Cilla Black total bitch.

David Jason met him a few times in Leeds over the years when he filmed A Touch Of Frost.Very nice man.
quirkyquirk is offline   Reply With Quote