What shop can I still buy a VHS player from?

paulsmithfanpaulsmithfan Posts: 327
Forum Member
I am just after a cheap VHS player, does anyone know what shops in the high street I can buy one from?

I am not after one of these expensive ones with built in DVD player or anything, just a basic player.

Thanks!

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Put a wanted add in your local freecycle group. There are loads being given away.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    ive got one that I was going to dump or send to the charity shop,
    I had no idea that anyone really still wanted one

its a shame the one I have cost over £100 when bought about 5 yrs ago and has only been used once:o
    I dont even own any VHS tapes anymore!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Argos has one for £59.99
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freecycle or failing that, ebay. What a shame I threw mine out. It never occurred to me that anyone would want it.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    I got a refurbished one for a tenner on Amazon.
  • Doll FeetDoll Feet Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a used one on ebay for £11 inc p&p. Best VCR I've ever owned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with them in principle... but how about trying local shops such as cash convertors or similar... they should have a few......
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Freecycle or failing that, ebay. What a shame I threw mine out. It never occurred to me that anyone would want it.

There are still people who buy those old beetamax recorders off ebay.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Could the OP give a hint as to where he/she live. I have a barely used one for free?
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone ditched their videos like the magazines told them to. Some of us held on to ours for archiving to DVD.

My nephew was taking the pi$$ one day when he came round and saw that I still had one. A few months later when his granddad wanted a copy of my sisters wedding video converting to disc, who was it that got the call to help him out?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another recommendation for Freecycle :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone ditched their videos like the magazines told them to. Some of us held on to ours for archiving to DVD.

My nephew was taking the pi$$ one day when he came round and saw that I still had one. A few months later when his granddad wanted a copy of my sisters wedding video converting to disc, who was it that got the call to help him out?

wouldnt be without my VCR - just for the sheer convenience of it.

I can't be doing with faffing about with dvd + / - r, rw, dual layer, single layer, etc
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still have my VCR! and my VHS' still have good picture quality 10/20 years on!
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    Argos has one for £59.99

adrgos £60? thats a rip off in this day & age
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    adrgos £60? thats a rip off in this day & age

Too bloody right - especially as you can get a DVD player for £20!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HollyC wrote: »

here here
  • hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I volunteer in a charity shop in brixton, we have a VHS player, and tons of casettes. It surprised me that people still buy tapes, we sell quite a lot of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am suprised VHS tapes are still being sold in shops but no video machines:eek:
  • iknowitall1iknowitall1 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    wouldnt be without my VCR - just for the sheer convenience of it.

I can't be doing with faffing about with dvd + / - r, rw, dual layer, single layer, etc

That's why you should have a hard drive recorder .
    Preferably a combo with a dvd recorder so that you can archive any recordings you want to keep to dvd once you've edited them.

Copying a hard drive recording to disc takes about 8 minutes.

If you never intend to keep anything then Sky+ , V+ or if you're not a pay tv fan get a Freeview recorder for about £100.
    Far more convenient than a VHS and recordings of equal quality to the broadcast
  • iknowitall1iknowitall1 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    hassan wrote: »
    I volunteer in a charity shop in brixton, we have a VHS player, and tons of casettes. It surprised me that people still buy tapes, we sell quite a lot of them.

I guess Brixton not being the most affluent area might explain it , but all over the country collectors are still buying VHS releases of material that's still not been released on dvd .

I bought a C4 special made by Norman Wisdom in 1986 on VHS just the other day.
    Copied it to dvd of course .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    HollyC wrote: »
    emails wrote: »
    here here

Supply and demand?

I'm surprised Argos even sell them.
  • Dante AmecheDante Ameche Posts: 20,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supply and demand?

I'm surprised Argos even sell them.
    Well it's good to know at least one retailer isn't just a sheep in the herd
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Well it's good to know at least one retailer isn't just a sheep in the herd

If you can pick one up there that is, says it's out of stock for home delivery and none of my nearest 10 Argos stores have one in stock.
  • NightSurferNightSurfer Posts: 1,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, my VHS packed in not so long ago after almost 17yrs, it still looks good today as the day I bought it - pity it packed in. :( I'm hoping to try and fix it, because I don't really want to get shot of it after all these years. In case it can't be fixed I'm also looking out for another one.
  • RJH GloverRJH Glover Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    If there's a British Heart Foundation Electrical Shop near you that might help.