Options

Thousands of schoolchildren/Sixth Form pupils to walk on 24th November re. Uni fees

D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
First I've read about this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/nov/19/students-school-pupils-protest
Thousands of schoolchildren and sixth formers are expected to take part in a national walkout on Wednesday as student protests over fees, which saw more than 50,000 people march in London last week, are stepped up across the country.

More than 16,000 young people have signed up to take part in the "day of action" and student leaders are predicting sit-ins, demonstrations and occupations in protest at plans to raise tuition fees and scrap the education maintenance allowance [EMA].

At the forefront of the demonstrations will be thousands of school and FE students – some as young as 15 – who have organised scores of walkouts across the country.

"The great thing about what has happened over the last week is that this idea of protest has embedded itself in the wider student community," said Michael Chessum, 21, co-founder of the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts (NCAFC) which called the protest for next week. "All of a sudden there is a feeling that we do have some power that we can change things through peaceful direct action."

Facebook groups supporting the day of action have sprung up across the country, with pupils and FE students taking a leading role.

Unlike what happened in London though a week last Wednesday, I don't actually see this happening - think its a lot of "talk, no action" myself. I bet a small minority attempt to 'walkout', but not the thousands that The Guardian are on about.

I'm not in on Wednesdays anyway, so wouldn't know if anyone walked out where I go to Sixth Form anywhere, but would be interested to know if anyone on here is considering walking out, or actually even knows anything about this. This is the first I've heard of any so called 'walkout' on Wednesday.

Comments

• Options
    darkmothdarkmoth Posts: 12,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine better not, they have coursework due in and a task on Weds.
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd probably get more turning out for it if they were told Cheryl Cole is going to be a guest speaker.

The ones that do turn out will quickly phone up their mummies and daddies to bring them home when they realise it's too cold and wet and that they actually had to walk.
  • Options
    Skip_TechSkip_Tech Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who cares what kids think?
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has their EMA been axed? If not perhaps they could save it all and put it towards University costs.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thousands of teachers whilst publicly pretending to disapprove, will be secretly supporting their actions.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    They have a right to protest, just as much as anyone else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    Thousands of teachers whilst publicly pretending to disapprove, will be secretly supporting their actions.

Well I don't agree, why do you think teachers would be behind children sciving a day off?
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah this won't happen and even if it did, surely the students are targeting the wrong people? :confused: How will them just walking out and wasting their own time and teachers' time do anything? :confused: I expect it's just an excuse by some to get a day off.

The reason why the the Uni students' demo was on a Wednesday is because students (mostly) have Wednesdays off, so they were missing anything/wasting time by going up to London.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sixth formers are going to walk out and not do any work? Sounds like a normal week to me.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Has their EMA been axed? If not perhaps they could save it all and put it towards University costs.

It's being 'replaced' - except the government haven't announced what it's going to be replaced with yet.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »
    Well I don't agree, why do you think teachers would be behind children sciving a day off?

You appear to have taken the days when spelling was on the timetable off yourself.

The generation that got something for free, charging the next generation £30,000 for the self same thing.

IMO that's a valid cause for complaint, and at least mild protest.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    It's being 'replaced' - except the government haven't announced what it's going to be replaced with yet.

It'll be replaced with a 'motivation stick' hanging up behind each teacher's desk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    You appear to have taken the days when spelling was on the timetable off yourself.

The generation that got something for free, charging the next generation £30,000 for the self same thing.

IMO that's a valid cause for complaint, and at least mild protest.

Mild protest fine, but not at the expense of learning. They have chosen to come to 6th form, they have to attend. A missed lesson at 6th form is a lot of work.
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darkmoth wrote: »
    Mild protest fine, but not at the expense of learning. They have chosen to come to 6th form, they have to attend. A missed lesson at 6th form is a lot of work.

Mine do tend to miss school for much less valid reasons though.

'Sixth form party last night, Miss...'
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the point of children going to school if the cuts mean their future education is going to be massively diluted?

Then when they leave, they either gain massive debts by going to University, enter the ever so successful British job market, or claim benefits.

I don't agree with them walking out, as I believe they should make the most of the relatively high standard of education they have while they have the chance, but i can certainly see why they're doing it.
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The title should read, 'Thousands of lefty liberal teachers decide to take school children on a march'
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Good luck to them. Afterall they are the future of the country, good to see them fight against what they perceive is wrong as the current 25-50 year olds seem to accept everything with just mild groans and no action
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do they hope to achieve apart from losing a day of study?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do they hope to achieve apart from losing a day of study?

They'll get to stand behind a Sky News reporter on their mobiles whilst madly waving and shouting "can you see me mum?" Then they'll proudly ask each other on Bebo "were you there?".

It'll be like Jade Goody's funeral all over again.:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am all for the planned walk out and I wish the people who take part every success. but I highly doubt the current excuse for a government will listen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine do tend to miss school for much less valid reasons though.

'Sixth form party last night, Miss...'

They get report cards with us if they miss a lesson for a non valid reason, 3 strikes and your off the course.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skip_Tech wrote: »
    who cares what kids think?

Lots of people do. They matter. I hope they walk and I hope the government remembers these are tomorrow's voters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTweets wrote: »
    They'll get to stand behind a Sky News reporter on their mobiles whilst madly waving and shouting "can you see me mum?" Then they'll proudly ask each other on Bebo "were you there?".

It'll be like Jade Goody's funeral all over again.:yawn:

or "Kan u see me mum" :p
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »

What's an EMA :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    What's an EMA :confused:

Emergency Miaow-Miaow Allowance.

Should really be EMMA but you know kids and their txt spk :D