Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Returning faulty item to Argos without receipt?

Old 27-12-2010, 11:04
jodzybob
Forum Member

Heya, I bought a sewing machine about 4 months ago from Argos and it worked fine for ages but now somethings wrong, the fabric doesn't move along so the stitches get caught up, or the thread will break, or sometimes you put your foot down and nothing happens but noise.

I have all the original packaging and manuals etc but I just can't find the receipt, if I still have it.

Has anyone tried taking something back to Argos like this before? I don't drive so will have to get a bus and don't want to lug it all the way across town to be disappointed.
jodzybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 27-12-2010, 11:10
danleto

Check this out it should help.
danleto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 11:51
jodzybob
Forum Member

Hiya, thanks I did have a look at that but it says you "may be asked for a receipt", just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?
jodzybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 11:59
Keefy-boy
Forum Member

How did you pay? A credit card statement or bank statement if paid by debit card may suffice.
Keefy-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:09
RenoXOX
Forum Member

I work for Homebase (we're both owned by HRG) and without a receipt, we can only offer an exchange to the value of the item - if it's another sewing machine you're after, they should have no problem exchanging it for another one
RenoXOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:12
marieukxx
Forum Member

Do you still want the item? Exchange?

If so go buy it and then take the faulty one back with your new reciept and keep your one that's new.
marieukxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 12:47
zoepaulpenny
Forum Member

I always found argos not very good at taking back goods, esp mobile phones.. they always claim
if it is faulty take it up with the manufacturer. which is crap.. sale of goods act state take it back to where you bought it from.... on other goods they seem to be reasonable..
zoepaulpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 14:54
marieukxx
Forum Member

I always found argos not very good at taking back goods, esp mobile phones.. they always claim
if it is faulty take it up with the manufacturer. which is crap.. sale of goods act state take it back to where you bought it from.... on other goods they seem to be reasonable..
Really? I have taken back loads. One thing was a few days shy of a year old and I took it back. No problems as long as I have my receipt.
marieukxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 15:09
jackyork
Forum Member

The answer is to keep all your receipts, if you have no reciept then you cannot expect your money back.
jackyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:31
Keefy-boy
Forum Member

The answer is to keep all your receipts, if you have no reciept then you cannot expect your money back.
That isn't entirely true. 'Proof of purchase' is what is required and that can include credit card and bank statements.
Keefy-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 16:36
myss
Forum Member

Hiya, thanks I did have a look at that but it says you "may be asked for a receipt", just wondered if anyone had any first hand experience?
Do a search in this forum - I'm sure there was a similar question but the item wasn't faulty. The OP of that thread phoned up the store and if you can give them the day and approx. time of when the item was brought, they can look it up. Do you have any proof of purchase i.e. credit card receipt, card statement, etc? And as others have asked, are you after an exchange, repair or refund?

Edit: found it - it wasn't that long ago.
myss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 18:52
Missjef
Forum Member

I'm sure it will be fine if you want to exchange it, i would suggest giving your local store a quick call, ask to speak to a manager (make sure you take down their name so you can quote what they said on the call) & just explain that you dont want to lug the machine on the bus etc if you can't do anything about it.
i'm sure they 'll be happy to help you .
Missjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 20:33
dfgh
Forum Member

You don't need a receipt according to trading standards. I've had cashiers from Argos, Halfords and Jessops tell me that I had to take my items back to the exact branch that I bought them from in order to change them. Just talk to a manager, the cashiers don't know s**t

From Trading Standards site : You do not have a receipt.
You have the same rights against the supplier even if you lose your receipt although you will still have to provide some proof of purchase. However, even without receipt or proof of purchase you may still be able to make a claim under a guarantee.
dfgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 22:02
Mystical123
Forum Member

Heya, I bought a sewing machine about 4 months ago from Argos and it worked fine for ages but now somethings wrong, the fabric doesn't move along so the stitches get caught up, or the thread will break, or sometimes you put your foot down and nothing happens but noise.

I have all the original packaging and manuals etc but I just can't find the receipt, if I still have it.

Has anyone tried taking something back to Argos like this before? I don't drive so will have to get a bus and don't want to lug it all the way across town to be disappointed.
I used to work for Argos, and if you've got the box and it still has a catalogue number on it, then you should be ok to take it back without any other proof of purchase. If it doesn't have the catalogue number and is something that isn't just sold in Argos, expect to be asked to produce a bank statement. If you want to get the transaction traced from your card number, you do have to go to the store you bought it from as they can only access their own records and not other stores' ones.
Mystical123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 22:23
feelsolucky
Forum Member

Hi, I took a steam generator iron and a TV back not so long ago, both without any packaging and no receipt. I did however take a print off of my bank statement as both items were purchased separately and had no problems with receiving replacements. Well done Argos on this occasion
feelsolucky is offline   Reply With Quote