Options

Are you allowed to build / sleep in a shed ?

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,252
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need some advice. My neighbour is planning on building a large cabin in his back yard which he will sleep in. His son and family will then move into his house and pay half of the mortgage on the property.

Is this allowed ? I would of thought that if the cabin will be a permanent abode, he will need to submit some sort of planning application ... or am i wrong.

I am dreading this happening. I have nothing against his son as he is a nice chap, but they have 4 very young children and they are LOUD. When they come over for sunday dinner all you hear is yelling, screaming and shouting. He also has a 'thing' for 2nd hand scrap vehicles which will pile up everywhere and last time he lived next door (for a couple of months when he split from his missus) he was out the front with his mates drinking beer and reving motor bike engines all night long.

Gulp.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I need some advice. My neighbour is planning on building a large cabin in his back yard which he will sleep in. His son and family will then move into his house and pay half of the mortgage on the property.

Is this allowed ? I would of thought that if the cabin will be a permanent abode, he will need to submit some sort of planning application ... or am i wrong.

I am dreading this happening. I have nothing against his son as he is a nice chap, but they have 4 very young children and they are LOUD. When they come over for sunday dinner all you hear is yelling, screaming and shouting. He also has a 'thing' for 2nd hand scrap vehicles which will pile up everywhere and last time he lived next door (for a couple of months when he split from his missus) he was out the front with his mates drinking beer and reving motor bike engines.

Gulp.

hi

I sympathise, but though not an expert I think he should be able to do it legally providing the shed isn't a permanent second home and he (the dad), stores a lot of his belongings in the main house and returns there for meals and family time.

This is because those are the rules as regards using a stationery caravan as a bedroom. Some people in my own family circle thought about doing that and this is what they found out.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Contact the council. A shed doesn't need planning permission, and there's nothing to stop you sleeping in one I suppose, but if it in effect becomes "Living accommodation", especially if it would have separate kitchen and toilet facilities, then it would need planning permission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Contact the council. A shed doesn't need planning permission, and there's nothing to stop you sleeping in one I suppose, but if it in effect becomes "Living accommodation", especially if it would have separate kitchen and toilet facilities, then it would need planning permission.

We all have 'outhouses' in our back gardens that contain an outside loo. He is planning on using the structure already there for his bathroom, and then using the room next door as a kitchen (although currently it is just a small room with a tap in it).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    I sympathise, but though not an expert I think he should be able to do it legally providing the shed isn't a permanent second home and he (the dad), stores a lot of his belongings in the main house and returns there for meals and family time.

This is what i feared - thank you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would breach building regs if they are going to erect a shed to sleep in - he would need planning permission to erect a structure that would provide sleeping accommodation.

Google your local council's planning dept and call them tomorrow. In my experience they are extremely helpful.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope your council is better than my parents' local council.Their neighbours errected an outbuilding to be used as a prayer room, instead we've discovered they are letting it out! Despite having a satellite dish attached to the outside and a boiler flute sticking out of it and different people coming and going from the side entrance, the council still insist it's just used for prayers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    OP , it sounds to me as though you have been taken good and proper , he has spilled all the details to you so he knows who has grassed to the council 'if' indeed your balls are big enough to grass to the council , dont get me wrong i aint on his side , this is only my take on it ............
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's an ex-council house he could be in contravention of the original sale conditions - which go with the house still even if it changes hands.

Other than that I don't see what anyone can do about it.