DS Forums

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Old 19-03-2015, 18:36
Alex Cator
Forum Member

I listened to France Info this morning, hearing lots of music, the only one I knew being 'Young Folks' by Peter, Bjorn and John, one of my favourite songs.
France Info is primarily a French news station, also broadcasting current affairs, sport and weather. It was much more musical this morning, around 8 AM (GMT) or 9 AM (French time), with lots of songs, and announcers between songs. Has anyone been listening to France Info this morning, hearing music, and why were they playing music?

Cheers, Alex.
Alex Cator is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 19-03-2015, 21:28
millimole2001
Forum Member

I think I'd guessed - so I looked it up - and I was right!
http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/20...dio-france.php
millimole2001 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 04:15
hanssolo
Forum Member

50m euros saving from sacking 300+ staff, New ads, ceasing orchestras and closing AM is a lot, but happening at other broadcasters.
hanssolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:02
mfr
Forum Member

And so the strike continues:

PARIS (Reuters) - The longest strike in a decade at France's public radio broadcaster has left paralysed news stations playing music and shows no sign of ending after weekend talks failed to defuse a standoff over cost cuts.

Radio France chief Mathieu Gallet has warned the group could run out of money within months if no measures are taken, and said the strike is costing 1 million euros a week.
http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article...50405?irpc=932
mfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:07
Passengers
Forum Member

Sounds like Britain in the 1970s.
Passengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:28
hanssolo
Forum Member

More info
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32209048
Mr Gallet has warned that the corporation's annual deficit of 21m euros is unsustainable.
He wants a voluntary redundancy plan to shed 300 or so jobs.
He says that Radio France's two orchestras are one too many; that the separate news rooms at France Inter, France Info and France Culture need to be integrated; and that the network of local stations at France Bleu should commission shared material.
But all this has merely infuriated the unions at Radio France.
The hardliners there mainly represent technicians, although many journalists have also stopped work.
hanssolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04
martinwatkins
Forum Member

Happening to be out and about in the car in France all day yesterday I can say that France Musique is considerably improved by the current strike action. It always amuses me that when in "normal" mode Musique is one of the most verbally incontinent classical music programmes in Europe. However yesterday was a delight, with music played in its entirety, (Musique's other failing is to play three-quarters of a work and then fade it out and start wittering about it) and just introductory announcements. Revelled in Franck's Symphonic Variations as we drove along the Lot valley.

Mischievously I could say "Vive la greve!".
martinwatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:20
PhilipS
Forum Member

Happening to be out and about in the car in France all day yesterday I can say that France Musique is considerably improved by the current strike action. It always amuses me that when in "normal" mode Musique is one of the most verbally incontinent classical music programmes in Europe. However yesterday was a delight, with music played in its entirety, (Musique's other failing is to play three-quarters of a work and then fade it out and start wittering about it) and just introductory announcements. Revelled in Franck's Symphonic Variations as we drove along the Lot valley.

Almost sounds like a return to the days of France Vivace or Hector. Agree with you about the normal service on Musique - the name is often the most musical thing about the station.
PhilipS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:46
martinwatkins
Forum Member

Yes, it's a shame we don't have Hector any more.

of course years ago (late 60s/early 70s) Musique had somewhat less chatter.

It's contagious sadly, Radio 3 has far to much light-weight waffle. Thank goodness for the plethora of German classical stations on satellite.
Old 09-04-2015, 13:59
FmBandScan
Forum Member

I did notice that France Bleu on 864 and 1278 were playing the same music and usually it is different, but I do like the music on France Info they seem to have a wide variety!
FmBandScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 21:53
mfr
Forum Member

An article on the strike from the Economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/europe...-la-r-sistance
mfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 08:20
martinwatkins
Forum Member

Returning briefly to France Musique, yesterday morning whilst out in the car I heard the end of a bit or Roussel at about 11.50 CET, and then two "presenters" who said in effect how pleased they were that at least for today their "normal" programme for the morning had been back in place, although strike-mode broadcasts would follow for the afternoon. They then said how grateful they were for all the messages (I think they meant tweets etc) that had been coming in giving support for the motives of the strike, but that they were also conscious of the minority - albeit very large - who had sent messages to say that the strike programming was very much better than the normal France Musique programmes. They in effect said "sorry" to those listeners who would feel it was a shame that they were back!!!

I didn't quite follow the next bit, but the male presenter then seemed to attack some comments that I think had been made during a TV programme on the subject of the Radio France strike, and the tone of his voice suggested that he was very much "holding back" on what he was saying, and that feelings at Radio France were now running incredibly high. I may be wrong as I wasn't in a position to give what he was saying my full attention, but it sounded close to being an on-air outburst.

At least they had the honesty to admit that their normal programming doesn't please a large number of people, I wish Radio 3 would admit that there are many of us in Britain who detest the Blue Peter style of programming that has replaced the old Radio 3.

And by "old" I mean REALLY old, before the awful Kenyon vandalised the network in 1992.
Old 14-04-2015, 12:21
lundavra
Forum Member

Always a problem for militant broadcast unions. The network and transmitter will normally carry on working unattended and listeners often prefer the alternate programmes.
lundavra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 18:08
Brightonelectri
Forum Member

Always a problem for militant broadcast unions. The network and transmitter will normally carry on working unattended and listeners often prefer the alternate programmes.

I checked France Info today and yes, the journalists' strike means little news. France
Musique also playing music with few announcements. I am watching ARTE HD via
Freeview tonight in Brighton, even their "red button" is working to re-wind last weeks
programmes.,including a Billy Holliday tribute concert. ARTE is run separately from
TF1 and France Inter etc.
Weather condtions mean that viewers using Rowridge will probably experience
problems this week..
Brightonelectri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 07:23
martinwatkins
Forum Member

Strike over - at least for the moment. Four out of the five relevant unions voted to go back to work.

Not sure whether much has been achieved, more mediation.

Doubt it's going to save the AM networks though.....