Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Old 18-02-2011, 12:19
MickeyBricks
Forum Member

Jarred the whole sound of the station with that track.

I can't believe they've bottled simple knocking out high rotation hits within 6 weeks. Typical Capital, they don't know who or what they are or who or what their audience what. Been the same for years. How many identities and formats since 2005 have they had??

Trouble is, I doubt any of the UK's respected programmers would want to work for Tabor, so this inconsistency looks set to continue.
MickeyBricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 18-02-2011, 12:57
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

Ghetto Superstar..??? WTF... Tinpot FM or what!
Actually i don't think it's the worst choice in the world. Didn't hear what was played before or after it but it firs in with the broad R&B genre that's littering the charts right now.
Mapperley Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 13:33
freerj
Forum Member

Jarred the whole sound of the station with that track.

I can't believe they've bottled simple knocking out high rotation hits within 6 weeks.
but they haven't ! They have been running on high rotation for at least 6 months and found out that despite spending loads and loads on promoting the Jingle Bell Ball during this period the RAJAR figures show a decline. That's not bottling it ....that's common sense.
freerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:03
Belushi Brother
Forum Member

The Leicester Square panic button has been pressed then. That song is 13 years old.
Belushi Brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 15:05
mjdj1689
Forum Member

Why dont they change the processing of the station , that might help for a start, comparing dab in West Midlands and the North West where In stoke you can get both of them, the West Midlands one is not as harsh as the North West one.

But they are still both sound awful thou.
mjdj1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:11
teh
Forum Member

Maybe they'll bring back some legacy capital with a tiny bit more entertaining chat, and neil or no neil and DK in the mix?
teh is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:24
mistermeep
Forum Member

Ghetto Superstar..???
This was played at breakfast last week too.
Also heard Pussycat Dolls Dontcha and an oldish Beyonce one, so they are definitely creeping the odd older track in.
Which is a good thing, in my opinion.
mistermeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:45
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

The thing about the older tracks, is that they're all pretty safe and fit well into today's playlist. Although it was amusing to hear the Bassman saying yesterday "I found this old track on my MP3 player and couldn't WAIT to paly it for you today..."
Mapperley Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:46
djgeeza
Forum Member

Also heard Pussycat Dolls Dontcha and an oldish Beyonce one, so they are definitely creeping the odd older track in.
Even Z100 do this, and always have done to my knowledge. The odd one here or there doesn't harm the 'hit music' format at all as long as they fit right, and don't stick out too much. I don't expect they'll be stopping the high rotation currents anytime soon, so it's not a massive change really.
djgeeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 19:35
MickeyBricks
Forum Member

but they haven't ! They have been running on high rotation for at least 6 months and found out that despite spending loads and loads on promoting the Jingle Bell Ball during this period the RAJAR figures show a decline. That's not bottling it ....that's common sense.
Aren't we always being told by Richard Park's toenails that you can't judge a station on just 3 or 6 months RAJARs - you have to give formats at least a year to settle down before implementing changes.

It's most likely that bloody ball that's the problem. People simply get sick of having constant promotions for events they have no interest in being rammed down their throats 24/7.

I mean, Jingle Bell Ball! How dated..?
Old 18-02-2011, 19:38
Martin Phillp
Inactive Member

Is the Capital sound based on tinny mobile phone speakers? Capital was the only station on my Samsung phone which sounded louder and horrible compared to other stations.
Martin Phillp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 20:49
James Martin 2
Inactive Member

They might have done internal research and found out that the public think Capital FM is actually a bit shit.

And when I say a bit I mean a lot.
James Martin 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 21:12
_SpeedRacer_
Forum Member

The thing about the older tracks, is that they're all pretty safe and fit well into today's playlist. Although it was amusing to hear the Bassman saying yesterday "I found this old track on my MP3 player and couldn't WAIT to paly it for you today..."
I realise his nickname is based entirely on his surname but in every other way it really couldn't be more inappropriate
_SpeedRacer_ is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 21:23
James Martin 2
Inactive Member

Even someone who isn't "in radio" asked me why the "bass didn't work" when her radio was on Capital?

IT'S THAT SHIT!
Old 18-02-2011, 21:25
on the air
Forum Member

They are really ramping up the recurrents.... on Monday 194 unique songs, On Friday, 199 unique songs...1 song a day added then on average.... Give it about 5 years we should have a respectable amount of songs on rotation

http://comparemyradio.com/stations/Capital_FM
on the air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 21:58
James Martin 2
Inactive Member

Processing aside, I felt the main problem WAS there was no scope for classics. I'm glad this issue's being addressed.
Old 18-02-2011, 22:00
Joey Deacon
Inactive Member

Ghetto Superstar - what a tune! (although I'd edit out that nasty sounding rap towards the end )

OutKast's "Hey Ya" is another big Capital classic.
Joey Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:17
nobjockey
Forum Member

I mean, Jingle Bell Ball! How dated..?

Z100 (the biggest "hit music" station on planet Earth, and Capital's blue-print) still do it annually, want to re-think that statement?

http://www.z100.com/pages/events/jingleball10/
nobjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:18
nobjockey
Forum Member

Ghetto Superstar - what a tune! (although I'd edit out that nasty sounding rap towards the end )

OutKast's "Hey Ya" is another big Capital classic.

Gettaway, the rap's the best bit!
Old 18-02-2011, 22:40
os17
Forum Member

So who do we think will be covering?

Nationally we've had luke smith in for Bassman and James Barr in for Dave Kelly

On London I think Will Cozens has covered for Roberto on a Saturday

Any thoughts for the others like rich clarke and especially the local ones.

I reckon we could be looking at the drive time jocks covring breakfast and the sunday morning jocks covering drive. Although that leaves the sunday show open because including the drivetime jocks saturday slot that would mean seven shows a week.

What do we reckon?
os17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 22:43
suffolkblue
Forum Member

Yes but trouble is they are the same bloody songs too i dare not say how many time ghetto superstar has been played so that gets very boring too.
suffolkblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 23:14
James Martin 2
Inactive Member

Generally, you'll find that breakfast will be covered by the drive jock and a freelancer will in turn step up to do drive.
Old 18-02-2011, 23:35
Marti S
Forum Member

Z100 (the biggest "hit music" station on planet Earth, and Capital's blue-print) still do it annually, want to re-think that statement?

We're not Americans for starters, I would like to think we are a little more sophisticated over here
Marti S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 00:01
MickeyBricks
Forum Member

No, I don't think so. Listeners obviously don't think so either.
Old 19-02-2011, 00:07
nobjockey
Forum Member

No, I don't think so. Listeners obviously don't think so either.
Source for your claim?