Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Can't apply for another Asda job for six months?

Old 20-02-2011, 21:44
jack42
Forum Member

Hi people,

Just want to know why can't I apply for a job at Asda (any job) for six months?

I applied a couple of weeks ago for a store in the next town from me, but got an email basically saying "No thanks but your on our records for six months if anything comes up"

I'm trying to find a telephone number for HR head office but thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.
jack42 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-02-2011, 21:48
emby
Forum Member

Exactly as they say I guess, they'll keep your details on file for 6 months so if anything comes up that you look suitable for, they'll contact you.
emby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:51
elke21
Forum Member

It doesn't mean that you can't apply. It means that they are keeping your details, and if they think that they have a suitable vacancy, they will get in touch.
elke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:52
striing
Forum Member

That doesn't say you can't apply for six months - it says they'll keep your details on file for six months. If you do want to work for them I suggest you don't find a number and ring up HR because if you ask the same question you've asked on here your details may well end up filed in the bin.

It's a pretty standard 'no thanks' - don't actually expect them to contact you. Just apply again if you see another job for which you are qualified.
striing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:53
muffin789
Forum Member

Doesn't say you can't apply for anything else within 6 months. Just means that if they have a vacancy within that time that is better suited to you, they will prob bring you in for interview.

Doesn't stop you applying for any other posts with them off your own back though.
muffin789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:56
jack42
Forum Member

I did apply for something different but got the following email.

Dear Jack
Thank you for your interest in joining the team at Asda, itís great that youíre so enthusiastic. However, the results of your first application are still valid, as itís less than 6 months since you last applied.
All the decisions we make about applications are valid for a full 6 months and so unfortunately, as you were unsuccessful the first time, we can't accept any new applications from you for any other roles within this time.
We really appreciate that youíve taken the time to send us your details again, and weíre sure your determination will pay off very soon. In the meantime, we wish you the very best for the future.
Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Hall
Asda Recruitment Team
Old 20-02-2011, 21:57
Chris..
Forum Member

I had that with Apple, couldn't apply for 6 months. A mail merged email after two interviews is always nice.
Chris.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 21:58
simonp820
Forum Member

Wow - if you can't get a job in Asda I'd give up all hope of anything
simonp820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 22:01
striing
Forum Member

Well that's different from your first post. I haven't seen that before but I have seen something similar 'previous applicants needs not apply' which basically means sorry you're not good enough. I'm presuming they're saying if you're not good enough now you're unlikely to have changed in a couple of months, which is the reason for the six month bar.
Old 20-02-2011, 22:16
elke21
Forum Member

Well that's different from your first post. I haven't seen that before but I have seen something similar 'previous applicants needs not apply' which basically means sorry you're not good enough. I'm presuming they're saying if you're not good enough now you're unlikely to have changed in a couple of months, which is the reason for the six month bar.
^^This
elke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 23:05
Helix
Forum Member

Sainsburys is the same, people try and get around it by using a different email but when they find out they cancel your application.
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 23:40
jack42
Forum Member

Sainsburys is the same, people try and get around it by using a different email but when they find out they cancel your application.
That's no suprise really being you can get away with a different email address but not name, home address, national insurance number etc.

But why do you have to wait six months? Is it because they change the questions every six months or something legal wise?
Old 21-02-2011, 00:05
Lastlaugh
Forum Member

What a horrible thing to say.
Lastlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 01:10
Tyyleer
Forum Member

Wow You are really mean..
Tyyleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 01:25
gomezz
Forum Member

But why do you have to wait six months? Is it because they change the questions every six months or something legal wise?
Possibly because ASDA do not trust their local managers to have to make too many decisions using their own experience and intiative and would rather have stupid, inflexible, simplistic automatic rules to keep their in-box manageable.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 08:00
stormin norm
Forum Member

Oh be quiet

I work for Asda, and in my department alone there are 3 graduates, an electrician and a veterinary nurse all working as shelf stackers.

It's an employers market, nothing to do with the skill of candidates.

OP, just keep applying for jobs, fingers crossed for you. When I had my interview at Asda there were loads and loads of applicants for a few positions so please don't be too disheartened.
stormin norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 12:48
ChristmasCake
Forum Member

They really will keep your application for six months though. I was rejected initially, and got called back 3 months later, I've been there coming on 3 years now.
ChristmasCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:08
jack42
Forum Member

Oh be quiet

I work for Asda, and in my department alone there are 3 graduates, an electrician and a veterinary nurse all working as shelf stackers.

It's an employers market, nothing to do with the skill of candidates.

OP, just keep applying for jobs, fingers crossed for you. When I had my interview at Asda there were loads and loads of applicants for a few positions so please don't be too disheartened.
Thank you very much I am moving on from Asda, but it just puzzles me why I have to wait six months? I rang my local one and they said "that's just the way it is" she also said "I thought it was longer than that "
Old 21-02-2011, 14:11
Tischlampe
Forum Member

They really will keep your application for six months though. I was rejected initially, and got called back 3 months later, I've been there coming on 3 years now.
Me too, but for Somerfield's. (RIP). I'd just started looking for a job as well, so it was a real stroke of luck. The phone call came out of nowhere!

If only it was that easy these days...
Tischlampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 14:12
Ellie82
Forum Member

I used to be a manager in Asda, and altho I believe the application process has changed a bit recently, but basically you are scored on the application for your attitude. If you don't answer the questions with the correct attitude, it's not something you can just re-apply for. Therefore Asda asks you not to re-apply for six months in which time, your attitude may have changed.

I don't mean anything negative by "attitude" btw, but Asda is all about the culture of the business and they want people to fit in with it. "hire for attitude, train for skill" used to be the tagline.
Ellie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:11
Tyyleer
Forum Member

Thank you very much I am moving on from Asda, but it just puzzles me why I have to wait six months? I rang my local one and they said "that's just the way it is" she also said "I thought it was longer than that "
Do you not think your going a bit far OP? You were about to email HR and you rung up a store? I don't really see what the big deal is.. They said they would keep your details for 6 months.. If anything it saves you hassle having to keep reapplying for jobs there. If something comes up that is suitable for you they will get in touch straight away.

I'd say just relax a little bit
Tyyleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 15:52
Tom_Tit
Forum Member

That's out of order.

Where do you work at?
Tom_Tit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2011, 16:14
jack42
Forum Member

Do you not think your going a bit far OP? You were about to email HR and you rung up a store? I don't really see what the big deal is.. They said they would keep your details for 6 months.. If anything it saves you hassle having to keep reapplying for jobs there. If something comes up that is suitable for you they will get in touch straight away.

I'd say just relax a little bit
Admittedly yes, but I suppose what happened was I snapped slightly being I'm very eager to get back into work ASAP and also my training provider is on my back. But overall it's just out of interest being me and other people have had that reply.
Old 21-02-2011, 18:24
striing
Forum Member

I told you why - it's because if you're not good enough ie don't meet their criteria when you apply first time around you are unlikely to have changed in a couple of months whereas you may have matured/developed/gained more experience in six months.