Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Any Minecraft players in the house?

Old 24-02-2011, 12:03
WelshDanny
Forum Member

Do any of you play Minecraft? If so is it worth the cost? I'm looking at getting it...if I can unlock my Paypal account.

Are you totally addicted? In that case, how do you feel about Minecraft heading to Android mobiles and iPhones later this year?
WelshDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:17
Flawed-Tactics
Forum Member

JX23 is your man, he posts here.
Flawed-Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 12:54
ToomaMcC
Forum Member

It is definitely worth the cost. It's deceptively fun and has swallowed quit a big chunk of my time.

I don't want it on my iPad as I know I'll play it on the train and forget to get off! Though when it does come I hope it has cloud storage so I can use the same account.
I also heard of a rip off version coming to XBLA but I'd prefer the official one.
ToomaMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 14:25
WelshDanny
Forum Member

Good news everyone! A kind soul as sent me a gift code. I shall be Mining for Craft soon.

Though I do believe I'm some way off being able to produce something like this.
Old 24-02-2011, 15:53
Leeham
Inactive Member

Pick it up every so often, I'd rather watch the Yogscast though, Old Peculier

BlueXephos on YouTube.
Leeham is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:06
Pr1s0n 13reak
Forum Member

Pick it up every so often, I'd rather watch the Yogscast though, Old Peculier

BlueXephos on YouTube.
I watch that too, hilarious!
Pr1s0n 13reak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:11
OneManTagTeam

When I go on YouTube on my iPhone, they videos always pop up in the most viewed that day. I don't get it!
OneManTagTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 12:43
GamerGirl
Forum Member

I play Minecraft Not too seriously, though, as I use InVedit to enable me to experiment with building various edifices or I just go exploring vast distances to see what is out there.
One day I'll play a 'proper' game with growing crops and suchlike.
GamerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:39
iHelix
Forum Member

I bought Minecraft a couple of days ago. I don't play games on my computer but this one I take an exception to. It's fantastic! Already built a house (two), a mine leading into several huge caverns, a farm and a lava pool but that's not even scratching the surface on what you can do in the game. Not even tried multiplayer or mods yet.
iHelix is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 12:31
WelshDanny
Forum Member

Notch says that he may soon add achievements to Minecraft in order to give the game "a kind of narrative"

Is this a good thing? Or would you prefer to be able to do your own thing without 'the man' making suggestions?
Old 28-02-2011, 13:39
tommyd1258
Forum Member

Notch says that he may soon add achievements to Minecraft in order to give the game "a kind of narrative"

Is this a good thing? Or would you prefer to be able to do your own thing without 'the man' making suggestions?
From what I've seen, it looks like many people don't need a direction to create something quite unique and imaginative.

I don't think it would harm the game though, if people don't have an imagination it might give them some inspiration.
tommyd1258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 17:43
Brigon
Forum Member

I have the game too. I play it occasionally when I have nothing else to do in the evenings. It is very much a pick up any play game, as you log back in exactly where you were last time.

I think it would be good if there was more of a narrative or objective in the game as long as it was completely optional, and that you could take your time to get there .Of course the game shouldn't end once you win. Possibly rather than achievements it could be more of an idea check list. Something to refer to when your imagination stops working. Once you build each item it you put a tick next to it and move onto something else. e.g. build a wooden fort. Build a castle of cobblestone and stone, build a trap for creepers, Build a structure underwater, Build a fountain, build a suspension bridge across a chasm, Set up a redstone railway etc.
Brigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:29
WelshDanny
Forum Member

I have the game too. I play it occasionally when I have nothing else to do in the evenings. It is very much a pick up any play game, as you log back in exactly where you were last time.

I think it would be good if there was more of a narrative or objective in the game as long as it was completely optional, and that you could take your time to get there .Of course the game shouldn't end once you win. Possibly rather than achievements it could be more of an idea check list. Something to refer to when your imagination stops working. Once you build each item it you put a tick next to it and move onto something else. e.g. build a wooden fort. Build a castle of cobblestone and stone, build a trap for creepers, Build a structure underwater, Build a fountain, build a suspension bridge across a chasm, Set up a redstone railway etc.
I agree with this.

Though how do you build a bridge and hold the blocks in place...you know what our old foe gravity is like.
Old 14-06-2011, 03:00
chris redfield
Forum Member

just thought i'd give this a bump. its a game that i've probably put more hours into than any other in the last 12 months, been playing since around autumn last year.
1.7 update sounds like it will be great;
adventure mode
new lighting system
its gonna be awesome!
chris redfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 10:35
Aspartame
Forum Member

I agree with this.

Though how do you build a bridge and hold the blocks in place...you know what our old foe gravity is like.
Bridges are much easier to do since they put in crouch/sneak, you can go right up to edges without falling off, and add blocks to the end
Aspartame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 14:08
O'Neill
Forum Member

thanks to this thread I googled minecraft and watched some of the youtube beginners video's, very impressed, just bought the beta.
O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 18:01
Pr1s0n 13reak
Forum Member

just thought i'd give this a bump. its a game that i've probably put more hours into than any other in the last 12 months, been playing since around autumn last year.
1.7 update sounds like it will be great;
adventure mode
new lighting system
its gonna be awesome!
Mhmm....what's adventure mode? Will there be actual objectives?
Pr1s0n 13reak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 20:40
chris redfield
Forum Member

Mhmm....what's adventure mode? Will there be actual objectives?
hopefully yea! well i'm hoping for something that is akin to adventure mode in dwarf fortress but I think thats probably being a bit optimistic!
still ,they are going to be working on this next update for quite some time so it should be something of considerable substance. it should be good whatever it turns out like, this game could do with some objectives!
Old 15-06-2011, 00:13
chris redfield
Forum Member

first full pistons demo. the automated door and steps look sick!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZJr86d2IUo
Old 15-06-2011, 19:14
brersam
Forum Member

Play it here me and my brother have our own server we use to mess around on built our house and a couple of joining towers so far, not been playing long though but it is fun
brersam is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 21:17
chris redfield
Forum Member

looks like 1.7 won't contain adventure mode or the new lighting system (that will be 1.8) but it will be out sooner than before

Me and Jens have been independently working on stuff for the adventure update, and its been growing in scope as weve been working on it. That means it will take quite some time to finish, but that it will hopefully change the game a lot to the better. To prevent going too far between updates, weve decided to release Pistons early.

That means 1.7 will be released soon, containing only pistons and probably a couple of bug fixes. The adventure update will take however long it takes, and will be released as 1.8. It might be a long wait, but it will be worth it!
Old 14-09-2011, 14:35
chris redfield
Forum Member

1.8 has now been released!
Old 14-09-2011, 14:37
CD93
Forum Member

The official 1.8 released today?

Or the 1.8 pre-release which was an intentional leak of an update for the beta? (oh yeah.)

EDIT: Just saw a news story for the proper release, good stuff
CD93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2011, 14:48
chris redfield
Forum Member

The official 1.8 released today?

Or the 1.8 pre-release which was an intentional leak of an update for the beta? (oh yeah.)

EDIT: Just saw a news story for the proper release, good stuff
yep its the proper official release! your minecraft will auto update now when connecting. notch hasn't updated his blog yet with the news ,found out through the unofficial source;
http://www.minecraftforum.net/patch-18/
Old 14-09-2011, 14:49
OMTT
Forum Member

What do you do in Minecraft?
OMTT is offline   Reply With Quote