Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Memory Foam Mattresses/"topper" mattresses: Do they make you sweat??!!!!

Old 26-02-2011, 16:33
Paul M C
Forum Member

Hi all

Spent 60 just recently on a memory foam mattress topper for the bed - I'd read such good things about these (especially helping things like back problems etc) that I thought I would shell out and get this top up mattress.

However, after putting it on the bed (it's only a couple of inches deep but feels quite "doughy"!) I kept waking up each night, dripping in sweat (urghh!) and then this would make me cold - so each night, I started having really disturbed sleep.

I honestly thought I then had a medical problem - it didn't occurr to me that it might be something to do with the memory foam topper....

However, one day last week, I got so fed up of waking up each night sweating, so I took the memory foam back off the bed.

Since then??? I've slept brilliantly - no sweating what so ever!

So, am I just unlucky and can't use this sort of foam or does anyone else experience this?

Feel a bit peeved at having spent 60 on something I now can't use (and it was a decent proper make - Silent-night, so no cheapy old one!!!)

I would just add that I am not the sort of person who sweats easily (even in the summer) so I am very surprised that I can't use this foam!
Paul M C is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 26-02-2011, 16:38
marieukxx
Forum Member

I have a topper and it doesn't make me sweat. I get a lovely sleep on it too. Wouldn't be without one

I did read before I got it that they do make people sweat though.
marieukxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:41
Analogue Agent
Forum Member

Is the room too warm overnight, and have you got a lighter tog duvet to compensate ?
Analogue Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:41
molliepops
Forum Member

I have heard people say their memory foam mattresses make them sweat too OP so you aren't alone.
molliepops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:43
Jimunited88
Forum Member

I've heard many times before of memory foam causing people to sweat heavily. You could try taking sage tablets and see if that stops you sweating so much, they worked for me I used to sweat heavily during the daytime.
Jimunited88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 16:56
Carmen Queasy
Forum Member

They do make you sweat more. More of your body comes in contact with them. Memory foam mattresses often come with "cooling" sheets over them but toppers rarely do.

I had a topper and it made me warmer but now I have a full mattress and it's not as bad.
Carmen Queasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 17:10
merroney
Forum Member

They are foam so they don't allow your sweat to drip through in the same way as a sprung mattress! Easy way to stop it - cool things down. We have turned the radiator right down, have the window open on vent and have changed the duvet to one with a lower tog rating. Good nights sleep had by all and no aches & pains
merroney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:14
OhDamm
Forum Member

I love mine, it doesn't make me sweat so I'm lucky. I can't sleep without the window open though maybe that's why
OhDamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:22
S-T-E-V-E
Forum Member

Mines nice and dry
S-T-E-V-E is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 18:50
Flossychick
Forum Member

I have a memorey foam matress and I do find it radiates heat, not too bad in the winter but in the summer out here it was a struggle. Will definately be buying a topper of some sort to stop this as I believe they are available.
Flossychick is offline   Reply With Quote