Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Pauper View

Old 04-03-2011, 17:08
jongruner
Forum Member

Nothing like a really crappy TV service in the midst of a recession to bring your spirits down! When is something exciting going to happen to this service? A new movie channel, something besides endless repeats of old tosh!
jongruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 04-03-2011, 17:23
MaxMix
Forum Member

Nothing like a really crappy TV service in the midst of a recession to bring your spirits down! When is something exciting going to happen to this service? A new movie channel, something besides endless repeats of old tosh!
I though a pauper was a poor person or one who lives on charity..

It's just a never ending dilution of service and one where footballers earn more in a week than and average person in more than ten years. That's progress . . Disgusting eh?
MaxMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:29
Caxton
Forum Member

Can you receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch 4, Ch5? Anything else is a bonus, its FREE that is why it is called FREEview if you want more then subscribe to either Sky or Virgin who cater for those whose needs are more than the basics.
Caxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 17:35
Colin_London
Forum Member

Exactly - stop whinging. If you want more channels go pay for them.

There are plenty of people who are more than happy with what Freeview offers, many of whom could easily afford Pay TV if they really wanted.
Colin_London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 18:15
Winston_1
Forum Member

The UK TV service is probably the best in the world. If you want a crappy TV service start by driving south over the border, then fly of to virtually any other country.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 18:35
pmh80
Forum Member

Exactly - stop whinging. If you want more channels go pay for them.

There are plenty of people who are more than happy with what Freeview offers, many of whom could easily afford Pay TV if they really wanted.
I had sky though it was rubbish to much repeats and daytime tosh so i went back to freeview and has what i need only thing i miss is mythbusters which i can buy on itunes !
pmh80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 20:15
Floydoid

only thing i miss is mythbusters which i can buy on itunes !
Mythbusters was on Quest for a while, but now all they seem to show is continuous repeats of American Hotrod/Chopper and similar stuff. Looked a promising channel when it started, but alas no more.
Floydoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 18:05
plane spotter
Inactive Member

The UK TV service is probably the best in the world. If you want a crappy TV service start by driving south over the border, then fly of to virtually any other country.
We have the best telly in the world.
In the US what is broadcast is 90%
drivel.
A large percentage get telly by cable and
the cost is a total ripp off .
Diggers charges by comparison are a bargain.
Plus despite my constant whinging about spectrum
our terrestrial and sat broadcasts work well by comparison.
plane spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 18:45
FoxhoundTCF
Forum Member

Mythbusters was on Quest for a while, but now all they seem to show is continuous repeats of American Hotrod/Chopper and similar stuff. Looked a promising channel when it started, but alas no more.
Quest will most likely show Mythbusters again at some point
FoxhoundTCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 19:26
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Can you receive BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Ch 4, Ch5? Anything else is a bonus, its FREE that is why it is called FREEview if you want more then subscribe to either Sky or Virgin who cater for those whose needs are more than the basics.
Not only that, but on Freeview you get channels like Yesterday, Quest and Dave which have to be paid for on satellite and cable.

Notwithstanding Sky's recent dumbing down, there's still quite a variety of stuff to watch - see here http://www.freeview.co.uk/Channels - and there are movies on the general entertainment channels as well as Film 4. When combined with a PVR, there's usually something interesting or entertaining to watch at anytime.

I wouldn't mind more movies in the form of TCM 2 coming to Freeview but it's OK as it is.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:08
derk weasel
Forum Member

i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
it has general entertainment, music, news, movies, shopping, religion and even chatline channels. cant think of anything else that is missing apart from a sports channel
derk weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:53
plane spotter
Inactive Member

i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
it has general entertainment, music, news, movies, shopping, religion and even chatline channels. cant think of anything else that is missing apart from a sports channel
A sports channel on freeview will never happen as diggers sky sports is far too well managed and powerful .
If there ever is to be a sports channel ITV is probably the only possible player.
ITV is driving none sports viewers away to minority channels as they constantly are showing footy at prime time.
In my family she who must be obeyed zapps the telly over to
some brain destroying American produced drivel
before I chirp can I watch the footy please.
I have to record the footy and find a slot that I am allowed to watch.
The time I am allowed is the 1 1/2 hours it takes she who must be obeyed to put her face on before we go out.
plane spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 19:56
TelevisionUser
Forum Member

Originally Posted by derk weasel;48582085[B
]i personally think the one thing freeview does miss is a sports channel[/b] (i know sky sports 1/2 is on there but they are not free).
True, but there is quite a bit of sport scattered around on BBC1, 2, 3 and Red Button 301, ITV1 & 4 and Five Live, Five Live Sports Extra and Talksport. Something like British Eurosport would be a fine addition but l don't think it'll happen anytime soon.
TelevisionUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 13:31
sparkplugs
Inactive Member

You mate, just hit it on the nail spot on, I couldn't have said it better myself! What I especially like about our digital terrestrial television system is that the HD channels broadcasts at full 1920x1080i, whilst in countries like France and Australia, their HD channels on digital terrestrial television only broadcast at 1440x1080i at the most, and the don't even use DVB-T2 like us either! So I think that describing our digital terrestrial television system as "Pauper View" is absolutely dumb!
sparkplugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 14:10
kasg
Forum Member

Do you go off looking for 15-month-old posts to reply to or do they just leap out and grab you? Always puzzled me!
kasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 14:16
sparkplugs
Inactive Member

Do you go off looking for 15-month-old posts to reply to or do they just leap out and grab you? Always puzzled me!
Some threads just catch my interest and I like adding my thoughts to them. Sometimes, if I search for a random thing on Google, amongst the search results is DS forum threads on the topic, and they might be a bit old, but I like to add my thoughts nonetheless!
Old 16-07-2012, 21:04
Cantank
Forum Member

"The UK TV service is probably the best in the world."
"We have the best telly in the world."

These people need to travel. They're probably the same deluded folk that think the NHS is the envy of the developed world.
Cantank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 21:13
evtwo
Forum Member

This sounds like propaganda

How can you say that UK TV is the best in the world when you probably haven't watched any other countries' television stations? I would say a lot of the programming in the UK today are US shows.
evtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 21:14
Muzer
Forum Member

Programming in the UK might not be the best. The only difference is, ours costs a lot less to watch

Free TV is practically extinct in America (from anecdotal evidence; might not actually be the case).
Muzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 15:39
pk_bluenose
Forum Member

A lot of people like to slate UK tv and seem to think the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in 7 countries over the years and what the UK has on offer, particularly for free (aside from the license fee) represents good value, For a couple of comparisons.. In the U.S. it was very noticeable how expensive it was to get a good range of content, the pay per view scene in particular is extremely expensive.. $40-50 for most big events, we get most of these in much cheaper monthly packages, When I spent time living near Cork, right on the south coast of Ireland, it was like getting a lift from Marty McFly in the Delorean and popping up in 1985.., without sky from the UK you were stuck with 4 channels and that was in 2006.
pk_bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 15:09
sparkplugs
Inactive Member

A lot of people like to slate UK tv and seem to think the grass is greener on the other side. I have lived in 7 countries over the years and what the UK has on offer, particularly for free (aside from the license fee) represents good value, For a couple of comparisons.. In the U.S. it was very noticeable how expensive it was to get a good range of content, the pay per view scene in particular is extremely expensive.. $40-50 for most big events, we get most of these in much cheaper monthly packages, When I spent time living near Cork, right on the south coast of Ireland, it was like getting a lift from Marty McFly in the Delorean and popping up in 1985.., without sky from the UK you were stuck with 4 channels and that was in 2006.
I couldn't agree with you more, but I bet that the posters in this thread: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18596 would dare to argue with you saying that what you said is wrong!
Old 18-07-2012, 21:26
carl wood
Forum Member

i understand you have to pay a tv license to watch freeview, so how is it FREE
carl wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 17:48
trilobite
Forum Member

i understand you have to pay a tv license to watch freeview, so how is it FREE
Nope - the licence is for the operation of a television receiver and/or associated recording device, irrespective of which platform is delivering the service.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 17:51
sparkplugs
Inactive Member

No doubt that somewhere in the Freesat forum, there will be a "Pauper Sat" thread!
Old 20-07-2012, 18:47
Muzer
Forum Member

I've always wondered since I first saw this thread before it was resurrected... is "pauper view" meant to be an unfunny pun of "pay per view", or is it just someone making something that's supposed to be "shocking" and not even meant to be a pun at all? Whichever way you look at it, it speaks a lot about the intelligence of the OP
Muzer is offline   Reply With Quote