Forum Member
    Now receiving Arq A loud and clear.

Also SDN on 42.

Just waiting for Arq B to go live.
  • Options
    flilotflilot Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    ArqB now online! :)
    HD Mux on UHF 40 also seems to be up but I need to check that with my HD reciever downstairs.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Just tuned my Freeview HD box, and the new service from Sutton Coldfield is indeed live.

All services now present and at full power. Job done.
  • Options
    flilotflilot Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    Just tuned my Freeview HD box, and the new service from Sutton Coldfield is indeed live.

All services now present and at full power. Job done.
    I concur and the HD channels look fab :D
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    199 channels from auto-scan On Humax coming from Wrekin, Sutton Coldfield and Brierley Hill this morning with duplicates upto 880 or so off little 1970 era vertical yagi on roof pointing at Brierley Hill... obviously scanned in each mux manually but how many people are going to be confused / unsure and left with duplicates and lost recordings etc.

It really wouldn't be difficult for boxes to either decide themselves or pre-scan all the muxes and then display a list of

Found :

ch 22 mux HD Wrekin?
    Ch 28 mux xx Wrekin
    Ch 47 ...
    ch 53 mux HD Brierley Hill (or show as Sutton Coldfield?)
    ch 60 BBC Brierley hill

And then ask or advise which to store?! All we get at the moment is do we want Gloucestershire or West Midlands to decide which goes top of the list.

Steve
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dragon-it wrote: »
    199 channels from auto-scan On Humax coming from Wrekin, Sutton Coldfield and Brierley Hill this morning with duplicates upto 880 or so off little 1970 era vertical yagi on roof pointing at Brierley Hill... obviously scanned in each mux manually but how many people are going to be confused / unsure and left with duplicates and lost recordings etc.

It really wouldn't be difficult for boxes to either decide themselves or pre-scan all the muxes and then display a list of

Found :

ch 22 mux HD Wrekin?
    Ch 28 mux xx Wrekin
    Ch 47 ...
    ch 53 mux HD Brierley Hill (or show as Sutton Coldfield?)
    ch 60 BBC Brierley hill

And then ask or advise which to store?! All we get at the moment is do we want Gloucestershire or West Midlands to decide which goes top of the list.

Steve

Gloucester? That's Ridge Hill transmitter.
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    Gloucester? That's Ridge Hill transmitter.

Er yes would be wouldn't it.... that will teach for me assuming it was the Wrekin when Mux HD appeared on 22 after Wrekin switched...

For some reason despite the group C/D 70's vertical aerial I get:

Unwatchable "10% signal and quality"

Ridge Hill: 21, 24, 25, 28
    Sutton Coldfield : 42, 43, 45, 46

25% strength, 100% quality rock solid
    Ridge Hill: 22 Mux HD.

+ the BH ones full strengh & quality of course

Aerial points at 119deg. vertical at BH 2 miles away
    Ridge Hill is 35 miles away at 205deg. horizontal

Bizarre... wonder what those with unnecessary massive aerials here will get, and why Mux HD comes in so well from RH (and has consistently for month or more) out of group and wrong polarity. Is DVB-T2 that much better - if so why no signal from SC Mux HD, or is it from different aerial on RH at the moment ?

Oh well, back to doing some useful work... that's that until we another glut of threads when a new channel pops up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A quick check around the Sutton Coldfield relays at midday:

Still to be completed are:
    • Brailes
    • Bridgnorth
    • Earl Sterndale (northerly most relay)
    • Gib Heath
    • Gravelly Hill
    • Haden Hill
    • Harbourne
    • Hartington
    • Ipstones Edge
    • Ironbridge
    • Kenilworth
    • Repton
    • Rugeley
    • Whittingslow
    • Winchcombe
    Current status as the day goes on at http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch/central/sutton_coldfield/suttoncoldfield_relaytimes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just a quick question. does the fact that the HD channels come from sutton coldfield now, mean that we will no longer have to switch to SD at 6.30 to get the local news?

EDIT: that would be a no then!
  • Options
    ResidentSDResidentSD Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just a quick question. does the fact that the HD channels come from sutton coldfield now, mean that we will no longer have to switch to SD at 6.30 to get the local news?

EDIT: that would be a no then!

Nope. There is only one version of BBC One HD available nationwide on every platform I'm afraid. I'm sure this'll change at some point and Freeview will, of course, support this as and when it happens (like on ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD on Freeview right now).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ResidentSD wrote: »
    Nope. There is only one version of BBC One HD available nationwide on every platform I'm afraid. I'm sure this'll change at some point and Freeview will, of course, support this as and when it happens (like on ITV1 HD and Channel 4 HD on Freeview right now).

I'm waiting to see if ITV1 HD Central will be rolled out on Freeview HD. Up to now, Central Tonight appears in the EPG, but we've received London Tonight. Now that Sutton Coldfield has switched, I would presume that ITV1 HD Central should replace ITV1 HD London at Waltham and Nottingham transmitters, which switched earlier this year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can confirm that ITV1 HD Central is the variant from Sutton Coldfield. Could someone receiving from Waltham at the moment confirm the HD region there?

(My HD box deletes alternative regions, if I select "West Midlands" at the end of the autoscan, rather than sticks them in the 800s like on SD.)
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I'm waiting to see if ITV1 HD Central will be rolled out on Freeview HD. Up to now, Central Tonight appears in the EPG, but we've received London Tonight. Now that Sutton Coldfield has switched, I would presume that ITV1 HD Central should replace ITV1 HD London at Waltham and Nottingham transmitters, which switched earlier this year.

On Virgin media ITV1 HD Shows Central Tonight although its not filmed in HD, So I would presume we will get Central Tonight on ITV1 HD on Freeview. It also depends on your transmitter ITV1HD has macro regions - not as many as ITV1 SD
  • Options
    Forum Member
    flilot wrote: »
    I concur and the HD channels look fab :D

I agree :D
    Luckily my box allows me to set different channel numbers ive had to change the HD Channels into a more logical order -
    51 - BBC One HD
    52 - BBC HD
    53 - ITV1 HD
    54 - 4HD
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,256
    Forum Member
    LiamCarbin wrote: »
    I agree :D
    Luckily my box allows me to set different channel numbers ive had to change the HD Channels into a more logical order -
    51 - BBC One HD
    52 - BBC HD
    53 - ITV1 HD
    54 - 4HD

Useful tip, thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone else feel BBC HD looks better than BBC 1 HD?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else feel BBC HD looks better than BBC 1 HD?

Remember, everything on BBC HD is actually in HD.

That's not the case for BBC 1 HD. Many programmes on there, notably the news, are upscalled from SD. They will look a lot better than BBC 1 SD, but they are not native HD produced.

ITV 1 and C4 HD are the same, many progs are simply SD upscalled.

The ITV 1 HD and C4HD 'DOGs' only appear on these channels when genuine HD material is being shown. The BBC 1 HD DOG is permanent, regardless of whether the programme is HD or SD. Misleading in my opinion.
  • Options
    radioredcatradioredcat Posts: 1,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been out all morning and on my return my network appears to have died so i will process the analogue close vids as soon as get my network up and running.

Andy
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm that ITV1 HD Central is the variant from Sutton Coldfield. Could someone receiving from Waltham at the moment confirm the HD region there?

(My HD box deletes alternative regions, if I select "West Midlands" at the end of the autoscan, rather than sticks them in the 800s like on SD.)

My Technika STBHDIS2010 has now stored ITV1 HD from Waltham in the 800s. The EPG is showing "Central Tonight" at 18:00, so I assume that Waltham's version of ITV1 HD is different to the Belmont (Granada) version, otherwise the box would not have stored it.

Last night/this morning, due to slight "lift" conditions, I have managed to store Sutton Coldfield BBC A and D3/4, here in Lincoln. This reception has since disappeared, but the signal reading is still showing (just).

Chris.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On Virgin media ITV1 HD Shows Central Tonight although its not filmed in HD, So I would presume we will get Central Tonight on ITV1 HD on Freeview. It also depends on your transmitter ITV1HD has macro regions - not as many as ITV1 SD

Technically, the Nottingham and Waltham transmitters should now show ITV1 HD Central, despite screening ITV1 London. Although it will be Central West, it's probably more relevant to screen Central than London from the Midlands transmitters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    brumlad36 wrote: »
    My Technika STBHDIS2010 has now stored ITV1 HD from Waltham in the 800s. The EPG is showing "Central Tonight" at 18:00, so I assume that Waltham's version of ITV1 HD is different to the Belmont (Granada) version, otherwise the box would not have stored it.

Chris.

ITV1 HD from Waltham & Nottingham have always had "Central Tonight" in the EPG, but I've always only seen London Tonight on the occasions I've checked since Nottingham stage 2 DSO (and Freeview HD launch date).
  • Options
    brumlad36brumlad36 Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV1 HD from Waltham & Nottingham have always had "Central Tonight" in the EPG, but I've always only seen London Tonight on the occasions I've checked since Nottingham stage 2 DSO (and Freeview HD launch date).

Oh right, I'm with you now :o. If I remember, I'll check the output tonight at 18:00, and report back.

Chris.
  • Options
    moon2011moon2011 Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    every one that has rescan before 2pm do another rescan and you will get a new 24/7 freeview channel on LCN 60
  • Options
    Forum Member
    moon2011 wrote: »
    every one that has rescan before 2pm do another rescan and you will get a new 24/7 freeview channel on LCN 60

I really don't think people will want to bother to retune again for The Jewellery Channel if their TVs haven't automatically added the service...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really don't think people will want to bother to retune again for The Jewellery Channel if their TVs haven't automatically added the service...

:sleep: As its just the Jewellery Channel I dont think I will bother, I would not watch it anyway.