Options

Houseparty 1972-1981, ITV - Southern Television

124»

Comments

• Options
    Ena SharplesEna Sharples Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those who, ages ago were interested in Houseparty, the wonderfully middle class and 'southern' ITV daytime magazine programme, here's some info:

Hope this helps,
    John

Hi John - I asked about this show ages ago - (I've just tracked my old thread down and it was in 2005!)

I was asking because my mother actually appeared in a few of the very early episodes and I wanted to see if any old footage still existed. I did manage to get a clip, however nothing with my mother in it. I'll have a look at some of the links you've put in your post and that others have added but I don't think I'll be able to find anything.

I'm amazed that people still remember this, and when you look at some of the footage you have to wonder why :D

All I remember really is finding it excruciatingly embarrassing! When you're 11/12 the last thing you want is for your mum to do something a bit different from everyone else's!

Thanks for the update
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keelboots wrote: »
    What happened to the person at the door? They just ignored the bell :D
    Probably rent collector.

TVS management! :D
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably it is to people who've never been north of Watford, but as I was born in Manchester, Derbyshire was not north to me, not the Midlands either just somewhere between the two.:D

Derbyshire is in the East Midlands

I would love to watch houseparty now , I can remember snippets of it, i'm in my forties now.

I'm sure that series inspired many Victoria Wood As Seen On TV sketches
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derbyshire is in the East Midlands

I would love to watch houseparty now , I can remember snippets of it, i'm in my forties now.

I'm sure that series inspired many Victoria Wood As Seen On TV sketches

The scary thing is that House Party today is Loose Women just without the house and the communal areas around the house.

I know... I'll wash my mouth out!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to love watching Houseparty with my Mum. It was definately on in the late 60's because I remember watching it in my childhood home and we moved from there in late 1969.

For some reason I remember a woman (and I can't remember her name) always going on about her three sons called Russell, Justin and Adrian, and spending ages on one show showing how she had put their names on their wellington boots. Goodness only knows why I remember that!

We were in the Midlands region then which was later changed to Anglia when they resorted all the regions.

What no one else has mentioned, was that strangely, they bought back Houseparty for a very short time in 1994 and most of the original people were in it but, of course, looking much older. By that time, I was married with a son, and I remember my mother ringing me up and telling me it was back on TV, and I could hardly believe it until I switched on and saw it for myself.
  • Options
    CheshirecheeseCheshirecheese Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I remember it coming back in the nineties, some of the women who had babies when I had mine in the late sixties and early seventies were talking about them being at University by then, just as mine were. It used to be on about 2.30 when I originally watched it, I then used to go and pick up my daughters from school when it had finished. I wonder what happened to Sylvia Marshall, or Marshy as she was known, she had been ill with heart problems when it came back in the nineties so perhaps she is no longer with us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Ena hi again,

Unlikely to find the very early episodes, only those I listed earlier are officially known of. Anne Ladbury has the Betamax tapes, although in what state these are in I don't know and would only date from the late 70's at the earliest.

My mums friend Daphne Lee used to be on it, and it was tremendously exciting to go to her house once - seeing, what to me, was the inside of a 'stars' home! She lived in Littlehampton in a tiny blue terraced house, opposite what is now the Body Shop HQ! She moved to France where she painted and made greetings cards.

My sister went to Lucy Morgan's house once 'for a curry' and met her sons, who she presumably fancied. She got a mention on the programme, 'Oh Bridget, what a lovely girl' - we (at least I ) were/was thrilled that she got a mention!

Which of the HP stars was your mum? And how did she get to be selected to go on?

The music by the way is: 'Blue Lady', by Heinz Hotter, and was on the 'Mozart Editions' lable. A piece of library music 'for use by the radio and television trade'.

Mary Morris opened a cake shop in Chichester, and wrote many cookery books. She lived in Eastergate between Arundel and Bognor for a long time, but if she's still around I'm not sure.

If i think of anything more I'll let you know.

John

Hi John - I asked about this show ages ago - (I've just tracked my old thread down and it was in 2005!)

I was asking because my mother actually appeared in a few of the very early episodes and I wanted to see if any old footage still existed. I did manage to get a clip, however nothing with my mother in it. I'll have a look at some of the links you've put in your post and that others have added but I don't think I'll be able to find anything.

I'm amazed that people still remember this, and when you look at some of the footage you have to wonder why :D

All I remember really is finding it excruciatingly embarrassing! When you're 11/12 the last thing you want is for your mum to do something a bit different from everyone else's!

Thanks for the update
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coooooooooooooooo, a Houseparty Thread, lovely! Remember it from years ago...none of my friends would admit to watching it but we all did.:D Happy, happy days.:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I used to love watching Houseparty with my Mum. It was definately on in the late 60's because I remember watching it in my childhood home and we moved from there in late 1969.

For some reason I remember a woman (and I can't remember her name) always going on about her three sons called Russell, Justin and Adrian, and spending ages on one show showing how she had put their names on their wellington boots. Goodness only knows why I remember that!

That was my Mum Vivian Tidbury
    Russell (me!) Justyn (with a 'y' very modern!) and Andrew.
    I spent a fair time in the Forces and got ribbed mercillesly in the early days, then as the programme no longer got aired people forgot. I still remeber the address system telling people Houseparty was now being shown on TV!
    Justyn moved to New Zealand and decided to change his name to Jack Wilde (dont know why perhaps thought it was in keeping with the environment) Andrew joined the navy for a short period then moved around a bit and is now in the Cape with girlfriend and small child.
    My Mum lives close by with my younger sister Charlotte.
    I think she may have some tapes but I get nightmares thinking about them!
    Mum was one of the regulars and still very active only giving up work when she got to 75 but still does voluntary work.
    I think most of the regulars are not here now although I think Jean Orba may still be around.
    HTH
    Russ
  • Options
    porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get some of those tapes copied to dvd and list them on ebay ....please
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    You have got to be joking😳
    It's taken 30 years to recover!!