Options

Applying for a job you have no direct experience/qualifications for

ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
Forum Member
✭✭
When applying for a job you have no direct experience of qualifications for, should you mention that in the cover letter, eg in saying something like "I realise I have no experience in XYZ but I believe my experience in ABC qualifies me"?

Or should you just tell them about the experiences you have and let them work it out, eg "i have many years performing these kind of duties which I believe would be transferable to the position advertised"?

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    When applying for a job you have no direct experience of qualifications for, should you mention that in the cover letter, eg in saying something like "I realise I have no experience in XYZ but I believe my experience in ABC qualifies me"?

Or should you just tell them about the experiences you have and let them work it out, eg "i have many years performing these kind of duties which I believe would be transferable to the position advertised"?

Cheers!

Leave this bit out: "I have no experience in XYZ but"

Put this bit in: "I believe my experience in ABC qualifies me"

If you put the first bit, they might not even read the second bit. And its best to be positive all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    Leave this bit out: "I have no experience in XYZ but"

Put this bit in: "I believe my experience in ABC qualifies me"

If you put the first bit, they might not even read the second bit. And its best to be positive all the way.

Thanks, I suspected as thus but just needed confirmation. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You could be more explicit : A qualifies my to do X, B qualifies my to do Y. Ticking things off one by one.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    husted wrote: »
    You could be more explicit : A qualifies my to do X, B qualifies my to do Y. Ticking things off one by one.

I agree, working through the person spec and showing how you meet requirements works, or did for me last time I tried, got 2 jobs in 6 months, the first was awful so I moved on. All were the same profession but different sectors so transferable skills and experience had to be highlighted.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazey wrote: »
    I agree, working through the person spec and showing how you meet requirements works, or did for me last time I tried, got 2 jobs in 6 months, the first was awful so I moved on. All were the same profession but different sectors so transferable skills and experience had to be highlighted.

Really? I was deliberately trying to avoid doing that, but if you have experience it's the way to go, perhaps I should rewrite.

Many thanks!
  • Options
    mazeymazey Posts: 137,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Really? I was deliberately trying to avoid doing that, but if you have experience it's the way to go, perhaps I should rewrite.

Many thanks!
    I should add the caveat my applications were public sector where they are careful to be seen to follow procedure, even if the job has been earmarked for an internal candidate. :cool: It helps if you can show lots of enthusiasm and adaptability.

Do you know anyone who works where you want to go?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You cant assume that someone reading your application has engaged their brain. They might be eating their luch at the time or regard recruitment as a distraction from their job. Or sometimes CVs are filtered by someone in HR, someone junior in the company or an agency.

So if I'm given a phone number, I often phone them up on some premise. A bit of enthuisasm and they might look out for my CV. Doesnt always work of course, depends how the company goes about recrutiing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    You can demonstrate you can do a job with transferrable skills, experience. If the post specifies you must have a particular qualification, you could say you would be willing to train towards it. Depends on the job.
    Being realistic when applying is important.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    You could also offer to be a volunteer, getting you foot in the door is the first step, bei g keen and enthusiasm can help to sell yourself.
    Best piece of advice I was given after not getting a job I was qualified for and had experience in.
    'Think of yourself as your own sales person, write down what you are good at and really sell it to them, believe in yourself.'