Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Homeward Bound, The Incredile Journey

Old 25-03-2011, 16:53
Speak-Softly
Forum Member

Just watched this for the hundredth(?) time with my youngest son having watched it so many times with my older children.

Such a great film. No trickrery, no CGI. Just a great story with a great script and great actors doing the voices. The care taken to get it right is evident when watching.

Dissapointed to see it only scores 6.6 on IMDB. When a film of a certain genre, in this case "family", gets everything so right, it should be judged as an example of that genre and the rating should reflect that.

Also watched it in HD and it's probably the first time I've noticed and appreciated all that money we spend on Sky HD.
Speak-Softly is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-03-2011, 17:40
Octopus_Prime
Forum Member

Dissapointed to see it only scores 6.6 on IMDB.
I also love the film, I used to have it on VHS, it was brilliant, funny and very touching in places..........don't pay attention to IMDb though there are so many films that I look at and think were great films and they only got 6 point summat and deserve a lot more.

I tend to agree a lot more with Rotten Tomatoes, this is off Wiki "The film received a mostly positive reception. The film holds an 87% approval rating at Rotten Tomatoes based on 23 reviews."

Michael J Fox and Sally Field were class as Chance and Sassy.
Octopus_Prime is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 18:06
fmradiotuner1
Forum Member

Have also seen this many times and its a great film also the seconed one is not to bad.
fmradiotuner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 18:39
Speak-Softly
Forum Member

Have also seen this many times and its a great film also the seconed one is not to bad.
I didn't like no. 2 so much the first time. But it's grown on me.
I think the dogs they used was the reason, maybe it's the American breeds? Kind of odd looking.

It's the simplicity of the film that works IMO. The dogs "talk" but the filmakers were brave enough to just present that rather than try and manipulate the animals into looking as if they were "talking".

Plus such great actors doing the voices, they got it spot on.
Mind, I'll watch MJF do anything. The man could read a shopping list and still be watchable.
Old 25-03-2011, 18:43
lozzerbozzer
Forum Member

My favourite childhood film, i bought it on DVD a couple of years ago,i loved it that much.
I always wanted a golden retriever like Shadow.
lozzerbozzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 18:59
Number Three™
Forum Member

This was my main reason for wanting to visit the Sierra Nevada.

Then after visiting, I discovered that the movie was filmed in Oregon.
Number Three™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 21:45
killthedirector
Forum Member

love these films. wish that there had been at least 1 more
killthedirector is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 22:02
kyri

This film always makes me cry when Shadow falls down into that ditch at the very end.
kyri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 22:23
tomfoolery1
Inactive Member

One of the first films I bought for my kids on dvd.
But not very good compared to the original version.
tomfoolery1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 22:37
billlythekid
Inactive Member

Seems the film is on again 0.15 tonight Sky Family might have to watch that
billlythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 16:04
MJsDirtyDiana
Forum Member

Homeward Bound was one of my favourites films as a child. It is a wonderful story and is a delight to watch from beginning to end.
MJsDirtyDiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 00:19
Mrstimmy
Forum Member

I honestly can't watch it. When each animal has their sad moment I fall apart! When the cat does that heartbreaking meow when she falls in the river I burst into tears, and dont even get me started on the bit when shadow can't climb up the Hill to get out the hole. And then when Peter calls him and he takes ages to get there. God I've made myself crying just writing this message out! I will not put myself through the trauma of watching it again its too sad!!
Mrstimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:07
November_Rain

I've still got it on VHS, along with the second one. I might give them a watch one rainy afternoon as it's been many years since I last saw them.
November_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:49
Great Dane
Forum Member

I'm so glad it's not just me! I love this film and yes I cry every time Shadow falls down the pit even though I know he makes it out in the end I love the bit at the end when they all go into the house and Chance sees the turkey
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 00:48
MsJoaquin
Forum Member

glad I am not the only one, the minute they come over that hill at the end, I start crying
MsJoaquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 17:56
Speak-Softly
Forum Member

glad I am not the only one, the minute they come over that hill at the end, I start crying
Is there anybody adult who doesn't?

Worse thing is that when watching with children, you know you are going to cry, you know they will be mercilessly pointing out how stupid you are being (nearly all children are hard hearted little monsters at some point), so you find yourself going to the loo at certain points in certain films.

I always warn them though that one day they will be old enough to be a sentimental idiot and they too will bawl in films and I will have my revenge.
Old 05-04-2011, 13:39
leaby
Forum Member

One of the first films I bought for my kids on dvd.
But not very good compared to the original version.
This. I didn't mind Homeward Bound when I saw it at the age of 9, but I'd grown up with The Incredible Journey and it doesn't compare. It's a lot more emotional when Tao falls into the water because he wasn't doing some sarcastic, aggravating chant at the time... And Bodger's speechless return home works a lot better than Shadow's unnecessary commentary - the look is in the dog's face, it's all we need to know.

I can understand why they remade it as having the animals talk makes them more anthropomorphic and therefore maybe easier for children to relate to, but it seems that The Incredible Journey of the 60's has been long forgotten...
leaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 14:14
MemphisJaxx
Forum Member

One of my childhood favs aswel. Will defo show to my kids when I have them.
MemphisJaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:33
PheebShirl
Forum Member

This. I didn't mind Homeward Bound when I saw it at the age of 9, but I'd grown up with The Incredible Journey and it doesn't compare. It's a lot more emotional when Tao falls into the water because he wasn't doing some sarcastic, aggravating chant at the time... And Bodger's speechless return home works a lot better than Shadow's unnecessary commentary - the look is in the dog's face, it's all we need to know.

I can understand why they remade it as having the animals talk makes them more anthropomorphic and therefore maybe easier for children to relate to, but it seems that The Incredible Journey of the 60's has been long forgotten...
I actually feel the opposite. I have loved Homeward Bound since I saw it as a child, and as other posters have said it brings me to tears. I recently watched "The Incredible Journey" and wasn't very impressed. I found the pacing a bit lacking and the children were way too sickly sweet for my liking (admittedly the kids in HB could be quite annoying but they were not stereotypical disney kids like in the original). Maybe its just a matter of what film you grew up with which determines which you prefer.
PheebShirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 16:47
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Just watched it, sad that the animals are all probably dead now
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:21
Fizzbin
Forum Member

Just watched it, sad that the animals are all probably dead now
Most of the humans are too.
Fizzbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:27
big brother 9
Forum Member

Very sweet film if I remember
big brother 9 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 17:36
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

Most of the humans are too.
Maybe from the 60s film but the actors in the 90s movie are all still alive.
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 19:30
Fizzbin
Forum Member

Maybe from the 60s film but the actors in the 90s movie are all still alive.
Of course, I was referring to that one.

I wish they'd get a move on & release it on BluRay.
Fizzbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 19:49
sarahj1986
Forum Member

A fantastic film. I remember seeing it as a child and I still enjoy it even now as an adult. The bit with shadow not getting out if the ditch and then arriving hobbling over the hill still chokes me even now.
sarahj1986 is offline   Reply With Quote