Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Who remembers the programme 999?

Old 07-05-2011, 00:08
November_Rain

It was a documentary series that was shown on the BBC during the 90s. It included reconstructions of real-life emergencies, as well as interviews with the actual people involved in said emergencies.

I can remember there being a bonfire night special, featuring a boy who injured his leg after placing a firework in his pocket which ignited itself, and another boy who injured his eye at a family display. It scared the crap out of me as a kid; put me off fireworks for years!

The theme tune was pretty chilling too, even now it sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

Does anyone else recall it? Are there any episodes which have stuck in your mind for whatever reason?
November_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 07-05-2011, 00:11
Billy_Value
Forum Member

yeh i remember it
Billy_Value is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:19
scofo76
Forum Member

Oh yeah i remember that show, Michael Buerk that was the presenter wasn't it?
scofo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:24
November_Rain

Oh yeah i remember that show, Michael Buerk that was the presenter wasn't it?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/999_(BBC_TV_series)

Seems so.
November_Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:27
halloweenbabe
Forum Member

Another devotee here *HB waves*

Can't remember any particular incident though.

Similar to the US 911... which was fronted by William Shatner...

Love real life rescue type shows...
halloweenbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:35
Serenity79
Forum Member

I remember it - there was one where a car was crushed under a lorry and they had to rescue the woman from under it. It gave me a phobia of passing lorries on the road for life
Serenity79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 00:48
rfonzo
Forum Member

It was a frightening program with some of the reconstructions of the accidents they used to do. They were rarities but still very frightening real life stories nevertheless. But I do remember that Alastair McGowan did used to do an excellent and very funny impression of Michael Buerk presenting 999 on his Big Impressions show in the late nineties, early noughties. The intonation and pitch of his voice was very like Buerk himself and thinking of that does lighten up the thought of the actual program itself in my program.
rfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:16
Jimmy_McNulty
Forum Member

It was amazing. Should bring it back!

Where's the petition?
Jimmy_McNulty is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21
Gordie10
Forum Member

Bloody loved it ... which is probably very wrong!
Gordie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:38
seagull_Mark
Forum Member

I was terrified of this as a child but couldn't look away. Everything about it was a bit sinister. Buerk's delivery, that theme tune, the reconstructions, the stories, the dark lighting; it was creepy!
seagull_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:45
Lenitive
Forum Member

I was terrified of this as a child but couldn't look away. Everything about it was a bit sinister. Buerk's delivery, that theme tune, the reconstructions, the stories, the dark lighting; it was creepy!
Same here, and yet I watched so avidly! It always seemed to feature girls with long hair always getting it caught in something. And another little girl went rolling down a hill and ended up angering a beehive -- bees were crawling all over her, she got badly stung, and yet she came on the programme and said they were now her favourite animals!
Lenitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:09
Bunnyfoo
Forum Member

Yes! I always remember one when i was a kid. I cant remember it exactly but basically a familys house caught on fire around christmas and it showed the tree and presents getting destroyed. That christmas i was scared that my house would burn down along with my presents.
Bunnyfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52
Nostlagic
Forum Member

It always seemed to feature girls with long hair always getting it caught in something. And another little girl went rolling down a hill and ended up angering a beehive -- bees were crawling all over her, she got badly stung
Yes, this is the one i remember most, bloody scary stuff
Nostlagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41
tiger2000
Forum Member

http://youtu.be/BY84Ke3UYi0
tiger2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49
TV King

I remember 999 which was presented by Michael Burke and shown on BBC1.

I also remember 911 which was presented by William Shatner. This was a US version of 999.

ITV had a similar programme called Martin Brundle's Great escapes which was shown in the late 90s 1998 and 1999.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Mar...&client=safari

Does anyone else remember Martin Brundle's Great escapes?
TV King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59
Git Features
Forum Member

I remember this - the music used to scare the life out of me...it was the DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHN at the end.

And no matter what day, what time, what situation, if you had an accident near the sea, Michael Burke would deliver the killer line - 'the tide was always about to come in'

I remember one episode where a group of scouts went caving and had to duck under water to reach the next part...one boy went under the water but through the wrong bit and got stuck in this random small cave and the oxygen started running out...

Also lots of farmers getting limbs stuck in machinery. Nice.
Git Features is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:52
podgicus
Forum Member

Yes! I always remember one when i was a kid. I cant remember it exactly but basically a familys house caught on fire around christmas and it showed the tree and presents getting destroyed. That christmas i was scared that my house would burn down along with my presents.
Yes, I remember that one too - scared the life out of me. Can't remember if the fire was started due to faulty tree lights or not, but even now I'm super careful about faulty electrics and stuff, especially around Christmas.
podgicus is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23
rhynoGB
Forum Member

always loved this show,the music always made you really want to watch it,michael beurk was perfect for this type of thing.
just a simple show about what the police do in emergencies & the caurage of everyday people..good times
rhynoGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:29
x-LizB-x
Forum Member

I used to love that programme. There were always people getting stuck in quicksand. Every time I hear Michael Buerk's voice I expect a disaster to happen. Meant I could never watch Pinapple dance studio 1)because it was rubbish 2) I kept expecting a fire to start in the attics or something to blow up.
x-LizB-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:56
Gordie10
Forum Member

Does anyone else remember Martin Brundle's Great escapes?
Yep ... and he was hopeless with a script. To be honest, he still is as lead commentator on F1 - much better making it up as he goes along.
Gordie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:58
Syntax Error
Forum Member

It was a documentary series that was shown on the BBC during the 90s. It included reconstructions of real-life emergencies, as well as interviews with the actual people involved in said emergencies.

I can remember there being a bonfire night special, featuring a boy who injured his leg after placing a firework in his pocket which ignited itself, and another boy who injured his eye at a family display. It scared the crap out of me as a kid; put me off fireworks for years!

The theme tune was pretty chilling too, even now it sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

Does anyone else recall it? Are there any episodes which have stuck in your mind for whatever reason?
I do remember it.

I actually have a VHS video about live saving that I ordered from the progamme.
Syntax Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 13:20
DiegoJusticia
Forum Member

I do remember it!!

I am use that I still have the official book (IIRC it had to be sent away for, and the details were given at the end credits?) around somewhere that detailed a few of the "cases" from the programme.

The case that sticks in my mind is the emergency biro-tracheotomy on, I think, a plane.

DiegoJusticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 13:25
jaydogz
Forum Member

Remember it well.
Heres the full theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA4fXdxPelE
jaydogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 13:41
Oblido2007
Forum Member

I remember and liked this programme.

I remember watching a special show they did about the great storm of 1987 (the storm where Michael Fish was criticised for). One part of the show was when they reconstructed storms that hit a caravan park on the south coast. At the time i was watching this in a caravan, in Cornwall, while out there was strong winds and rain!!
Oblido2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 15:18
AidanLunn
Forum Member

i do remember two incidents:

One where a boy got a javelin stick through the neck, narrowly missing his larynx, and another one where a mother left her baby unattended in a bath for a few minutes and the baby got one of its fingers firmly jammed somehow.
AidanLunn is offline   Reply With Quote