Cancelled /Renew Shows & Pick-ups

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    What happens if it flops?

The network it airs on is brand new and they have openly said that ratings do not bother them. Which in some way i don't agree with as poor ratings lead to a loss in money for the channel.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The network it airs on is brand new and they have openly said that ratings do not bother them. Which in some way i don't agree with as poor ratings lead to a loss in money for the channel.

Sometimes such a statement can be believed, for example HBO and Showtime don’t focus so much on ratings as they are premium subscription channels with no adverts, so are funded purely by subscriptions and not advertising revenue. Having said that, of course ratings are still important because if no one watches their programmes then no one will bother paying for the subscription.

But ‘El Rey’ is a basic cable channel that relies on advertising revenue as its funding. Therefore I’d agree with you, despite what they say, ratings will be important. I suspect their comment saying they aren’t important is due to the fact they are targeting a very niche audience, second and third-generation Latinos. They will be selling advertising space based on this audience so can charge more for it, so it won’t matter if the overall numbers are low as long as they are Latinos. But of course, if even low numbers of Latinos are watching then it’ll be a financial nightmare for the network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enlisted is being shopped to Yahoo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTV have re-newed Catfish for a 4th season. Not really surprising as it’s still one of MTV’s most popular programmes, despite the fact that it’s ratings have started to drop slightly over the past 3 seasons. But it must be really cheap to make so that probably helped their decision to re-new, having said that I think most of MTVs original productions are probably quite cheap to make!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    MTV have re-newed Catfish for a 4th season. Not really surprising as it’s still one of MTV’s most popular programmes, despite the fact that it’s ratings have started to drop slightly over the past 3 seasons. But it must be really cheap to make so that probably helped their decision to re-new, having said that I think most of MTVs original productions are probably quite cheap to make!

Actually the longer a show keeps getting renewed, the more expensive it becomes. Especially as cast members or in Catfish's case, the hosts, will want a pay raise each season.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually the longer a show keeps getting renewed, the more expensive it becomes. Especially as cast members or in Catfish's case, the hosts, will want a pay raise each season.

Nev & Max deserve a pay rise, they were truly brilliant this season cause they got some attitude to confront the Catfish-ers. Ofcourse MTV UK has commissioned a UK edition of Catfish as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, true, but I was referring more to the overall productions costs which must be considerably lower for Catfish when compared to a typical hour drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    Ofcourse MTV UK has commissioned a UK edition of Catfish as well.

The last I heard was that this was facing some pre-production difficulties... I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll actually materialise.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The god awful FALLING SKIES has been renewed for a 10 episode fifth and final season
    MAJOR CRIMES renewed for 15 episode 4th season
    THE LAST SHIP renewed for 13 episode 2nd season
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    The god awful FALLING SKIES has been renewed for a 10 episode fifth and final season
    MAJOR CRIMES renewed for 15 episode 4th season

OMG The Last Ship renewed????!!!!

Oh well more rubbish to watch just incase something interesting happens. :)

Good about Major Crimes, and so so about Falling Skies.
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Starz big new production Outlander (adaptation of the book series) still has no UK pickup to my knowledge. Rather surprising considering how big a fanbase it would have due to the books.

Anyone have any news about it being picked up? It's airing in the US on 9th August.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Starz big new production Outlander (adaptation of the book series) still has no UK pickup to my knowledge. Rather surprising considering how big a fanbase it would have due to the books.

Anyone have any news about it being picked up? It's airing in the US on 9th August.

I'm not sure the books are that popular, I think like a lot of things it's vaguely popular in the US, so everyone just assumes people have heard of it. (Hunger Games and Divergent were recent examples of those.) I guess they'd also change the name, as the book was published as Cross Stitch in the UK...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whose Line is it Anyway renewed by CW
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure the books are that popular, I think like a lot of things it's vaguely popular in the US, so everyone just assumes people have heard of it. (Hunger Games and Divergent were recent examples of those.) I guess they'd also change the name, as the book was published as Cross Stitch in the UK...

20 million books sold, and translated into 24 different languages. That's more than "vaguely popular in the US."
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    20 million books sold, and translated into 24 different languages. That's more than "vaguely popular in the US."

Yup, pretty huge books. Although I agree with previous poster about the bad name change, Cross Stitch was much better.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Although I agree with previous poster about the bad name change, Cross Stitch was much better.

I don't agree at all. The American publisher who wanted the titled changed was right: "It sounds like a book about embroidery." :) Considering that the author has had a tough fight as it is in convincing people that her books are not "romance" novels that only women would be interested in, the more masculine and adventurous title of Outlander is preferable to Cross Stitch.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whose Line is it Anyway renewed by CW

Saw that yesterday and very happy. Aisha Tyler is a lot better than Drew Carey on that show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louie has been renewed for a fifth season. It will have seven episodes.
    Fargo has been renewed for a second season
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to wonder if Louie only getting seven episodes means he's going to bring it to an end ?
  • Options
    dizziedizzie Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    The last I heard was that this was facing some pre-production difficulties... I’m beginning to wonder if it’ll actually materialise.
    I'm betting there are legal issues regarding this show in the UK, that simply don't exist in the US. Online profiles, even when through vetted dating websites, are a legal minefield, and the online scamming is seriously problematic, even when it doesn't involve money, and could open up a UK show to all kinds of ramifications, especially if there is any hint that one party has been coercive, and the TV production company has enabled them in any way.
  • Options
    Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I have to wonder if Louie only getting seven episodes means he's going to bring it to an end ?

COULD BE HITTING A MILESTONE OF EPISODES FOR SYNDICATION PURPOSES????? POSSIBLE!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    COULD BE HITTING A MILESTONE OF EPISODES FOR SYNDICATION PURPOSES????? POSSIBLE!!!

Don't know about the caps lock, but 60 episodes isn't big enough for syndication, 80 is generally the big number (with 100 being preferable). At a TV-MA rated show, the number is probably slightly higher as there will be some episodes that can't be aired in syndication...
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It doesn't say how long the episodes will be, do they? So it could be standard 30min slot or extended 60mins.
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ye gods!..

The acting is excrable, and the storylines are ridiculous, and it gets renewed?.

The ratings must be good.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    Ye gods!..

The acting is excrable, and the storylines are ridiculous, and it gets renewed?.

The ratings must be good.

Apparently they are. Must be because of all the Jingoism.