Options

Superhub Settings

jettajetta Posts: 4,992
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't find anywhere that says which of these VM Superhub settings makes the router more or less secure when enabled.

Presume the Firewall one needs to be enabled. But which of the others is more secure when enabled, and which should be disabled. (Assuming not using any gaming devices or VPN etc).

Firewall Features
Ipsec PassThrough
PPTP PassThrough
Multicast
Port Scan Detection
IP Flood Detection

Any clarity on this is appreciated. Couldn't tell if Port Scan Detection is good or bad security wise from the description in the hub interface. What is Multicast for?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Some of this is guesswork..

If you turn off firewall features I think it will automatically disable port scan and IP flood detection.

I'd recommend google for the others but they are on by default. I know multicast is something to do with video streaming and saving backhaul bandwidth but I've no idea on the details or if VM use it - if you really care wikipedia probably has loads of stuff about it - of course whether what it says is true or not is anybodies guess :)

The IP flood detection was the thing that was triggered by pingtest.net and caused the router to drop packets from it leading to the furore about the hub dropping packets. As mine was still downloading at full whack with it on and the level of packet loss reported would slow it to a crawl I think it was only dropping packets in the artificial situation caused by pingtest.net. That was the thing they supposedly fixed in firmware R25. My suspicion is that all they really did was ignore the setting and disable that chunk of code. No great loss imo - how many times has your home network been subjected to this sort of attack? I'd guess precisely zero.

Now you may get the odd port scan - especially when on R25 firmware which left a stack of standard ports non-stealth so encouraging them. The thing is what use could you put to a log entry saying you'd been port scanned hours ago? I'd suggest the answer is probably none. I turned it off when it started reporting I'd been port scanned bu the google DNS server.

So do you need to have the firewall on or off? Well even with it off your machines are sitting behind NAT and the operating system firewall. I decided that as the hub is pretty buggy the less code it is running the better and turned it off.

That was recently though and buggy as it may be mine has been running 24x7 since R26 was push installed on it about a month ago. I had one instance where WiFi was refusing to accept a connection but I fixed that by turning just WiFi off and on again rather than rebooting the wretched thing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    Some of this is guesswork..

If you turn off firewall features I think it will automatically disable port scan and IP flood detection.

I'd recommend google for the others but they are on by default. I know multicast is something to do with video streaming and saving backhaul bandwidth but I've no idea on the details or if VM use it - if you really care wikipedia probably has loads of stuff about it - of course whether what it says is true or not is anybodies guess :)

The IP flood detection was the thing that was triggered by pingtest.net and caused the router to drop packets from it leading to the furore about the hub dropping packets. As mine was still downloading at full whack with it on and the level of packet loss reported would slow it to a crawl I think it was only dropping packets in the artificial situation caused by pingtest.net. That was the thing they supposedly fixed in firmware R25. My suspicion is that all they really did was ignore the setting and disable that chunk of code. No great loss imo - how many times has your home network been subjected to this sort of attack? I'd guess precisely zero.

Now you may get the odd port scan - especially when on R25 firmware which left a stack of standard ports non-stealth so encouraging them. The thing is what use could you put to a log entry saying you'd been port scanned hours ago? I'd suggest the answer is probably none. I turned it off when it started reporting I'd been port scanned bu the google DNS server.

So do you need to have the firewall on or off? Well even with it off your machines are sitting behind NAT and the operating system firewall. I decided that as the hub is pretty buggy the less code it is running the better and turned it off.

That was recently though and buggy as it may be mine has been running 24x7 since R26 was push installed on it about a month ago. I had one instance where WiFi was refusing to accept a connection but I fixed that by turning just WiFi off and on again rather than rebooting the wretched thing.

good info, very handy cheers for posting \m/