Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Doggy Films

Old 19-11-2014, 20:20
JamesArniston
Forum Member

Regarded as a video nasty in the early 80s, I just wondered whether this film has ever been shown on British TV.

I've just watched it and it hardly seems any more violent than many other horror films available today.
JamesArniston is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 20-11-2014, 06:10
Ted Cunterblast
Forum Member

Regarded as a video nasty in the early 80s, I just wondered whether this film has ever been shown on British TV.

I've just watched it and it hardly seems any more violent than many other horror films available today.
Same goes for most of those old video nasties...they all look quite tame and even laughable these days.

The problem is that they were banned for so long in some cases, like 20 years or more, and by the time they are released things have changed, effects have moved on tremendously, and the envelope as to what is acceptable has been pushed back even further.

Therefore the general attitude to watching those movies these days is usually 'What on earth was all the fuss about'?
Ted Cunterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 11:45
BanziBaby
Forum Member

The Burning has always been one of my favourite horror films, basically a rip on Friday The 13th but done so much better IMO.

If I remember the history right it was butchered by the BBFC but the company that was distributing it (Thorn-EMI) accidentally released the full uncut version on video by mistake & they had to recall those versions. Now you can legally get it uncut on DVD.

Some great effects work from Tom Savini.

Just goes to show you the whole silliness of the 80's video nasty affair. I remember some MP's talking about how the sick disgusting grubby film called Cannibal Holocaust should be banned but when asked if any of them had actually seen the movie the answer was no from all of them.
BanziBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 04:16
IWasBored
Forum Member

I have got this film uncut on dvd and I really don't understand what the fuss was about!
Even for the time A NIghtmare On Elm Street is far gorier and yet that was passed fully uncut. It was distributed by Vipco who made quite a few of these low budget horror films that were regarded as video nasties.
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote