Options

baby poo....

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
Forum Member
Ok so my daughter is 2 on thursday. She's a happy little thing, but a bit of a handful!

Lately she's had a real thing about being clean - I presume its the start of potty training (although she doesn't know when she needs to go yet, just when she's been!) and gets really upset about being dirty.

She's started to refuse to go to sleep in the evenings, which isn't too much of an issue as she's happy to sit in her bed and play with a toy or music book. I put it down to being at home with me for 3 weeks for the easter break and now going back to childminders, all too much change. But this last week she's begun doing a poo after I've put her down for bed and then taking off her pj's and nappy and then spreading the poo EVERYWHERE.....she does it silently and at least an hour after i think she's finally asleep ( it was 10 to 10 last night!!). I have no idea why - I guess its something to do with not liking a dirty bum, but why she needs to mash it into the carpet, spread it all over the walls, bedding, toys etc I don't know. I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

Does any one have any ideas? i thought of putting a potty in there, but I doubt this will help, as she has no idea what its for!!

Comments

• Options
    alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurgh. You have my sympathies. My son went through a similar stage when he was the same age, it was quite disconcerting. I think it's something to do with them being ready for potty training, and we used to sit him on the potty before bed, then get him up a couple of hours later for the same thing. He stopped doing it after a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eurgh. You have my sympathies. My son went through a similar stage when he was the same age, it was quite disconcerting. I think it's something to do with them being ready for potty training, and we used to sit him on the potty before bed, then get him up a couple of hours later for the same thing. He stopped doing it after a couple of weeks.

:eek::eek::eek: I think I'll of used a factories worth of disinfectant by then....:D:D

I'll try the potty thing, but every time we get it out she puts it on her head...:D not sure she's worked out what its for....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: I think I'll of used a factories worth of disinfectant by then....:D:D

I'll try the potty thing, but every time we get it out she puts it on her head...:D not sure she's worked out what its for....
    Have you let her see you go to the loo? It might be an idea to get one of those kiddy toilet seats and see if she's better with that than a potty. We got one from Mothercare that came with a little stepladder so he could clamber on himself. Meanwhile stock up on disinfectant wipes!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewww, my thoughts are with you lol

my little boy only it once and it was enough for me - i went into his room one morning and his bed, curtains, floor was covered in poo and blood (bust his nose too...but thats another story :P) AND IT WAS ON HIS TEETH

i swear i nearly threw up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you let her see you go to the loo? It might be an idea to get one of those kiddy toilet seats and see if she's better with that than a potty. We got one from Mothercare that came with a little stepladder so he could clamber on himself. Meanwhile stock up on disinfectant wipes!!!

yeah there is no privacy in my house, and she has a toilet seat too (as that worked for my son!) but won't sit on it with no bottoms on! she is very odd!!
    Scott_P wrote: »

my little boy only it once and it was enough for me - i went into his room one morning and his bed, curtains, floor was covered in poo and blood (bust his nose too...but thats another story :P) AND IT WAS ON HIS TEETH

Yes.....I'm amazed at how far poo can go....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »

The worst we had with our little boy was when we were on holiday in Brittany in this very posh villa, and he managed to poo-paint the entire bedroom, including curtains and even the bedside lampshade.:( I spent the whole night cleaning and the place stunk of disinfectant for days afterwards. Better than poo though - and we did get our deposit back at the end of the holiday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me all babies don't do this! lol
  • Options
    crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They don't. Our daughter never did! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they don't. I have four children and my second son was the only offender:D
  • Options
    Forum Member

nope my son didn't! Just this one - she's a monster!! :D
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Our little lad (2.5yrs) quite often pulls his winkle out in bed, then does a wee everywhere. He doesn't seem to mind though, but its a bit gross to come to find him in soggy pjs laying in a puddle.

Have you tried different types of nappy that she may have more difficulty getting off (nappy pants etc)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    Our little lad (2.5yrs) quite often pulls his winkle out in bed, then does a wee everywhere. He doesn't seem to mind though, but its a bit gross to come to find him in soggy pjs laying in a puddle.

Have you tried different types of nappy that she may have more difficulty getting off (nappy pants etc)?

yup - tried various types, she's a houdini - she can get out of any pj's you put her in, and can remove every type of nappy! she's now in pull-ups as they are easier to get on her when she's wriggling! We often get a wet bed too - but I can cope with an accident, its the purposeful poo-painting I don't like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member

Thats a good idea
    and the wipes too
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like she's making a dirty protest.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At risk of getting shouted at and please feel free to tell me I am all wrong .Have you actually told her its downright naughty ? I only ask this as some people pussyfoot around these issues and feel they cant be cross with kids over potty issues . Take all toys out and no books etc and tell her its because you dont want them getting dirty .
    I know people will correct me on this but at two she wil understand your tone of voice if not the entire rant .

On a practical side could you put an all in one on her that she cant get off ?
  • Options
    handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our daughter never used a potty and went straight to the toilet. Poohs first, when she was about two and a half, then wees once we were sure she was in control of the bowel movement.

She never did the smearing thing, but it does sound to me as if your daughter's ready to start poo-ing in a potty or the toilet.

I also think Abb-40 is right - time to get a bit firm. Make it clear to her that spreading the pooh is naughty and that she will get in trouble when she does it. Take some of her toys away and make clear why you've done it. Yoiu don't need to be complicated: "Pooh in the bed means no toys in the bed" will do it!

Girls can be very stroppy and you might have to butt heads with her a bit over it, but don't back down! :D

I would try putting her on the loo at about the time she usually poohs in the nappy and very firmly telling her that pooh goes in the toilet and nowhere else. Then if she *does* pooh in the toilet, go mad with praising her, and give her a reward.

We used a reward system with our daughter. We bought a sticker chart, and every time she poohed on the toilet she got a sticker and some chocolate buttons. If she poohed in her nappy she didn't get a sticker, and we told her that she was too big to pooh in a nappy any more and poohs go in the toilet. When she had a full row of stickers she got a cheap DVD (Peppa Pig ones are about £2-99) as a reward for being a Big Girl. She soon got the idea.

Another good tip came from our Health Worker - some tots don't like pooing on the toilet and "freeze up". If you get them to blow bubbles with bubble mixture it does two things - keeps them occupied, and also every time they blow the sphincter in their bum relaxes and it's easier for them to poo.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    God I have had a proper lol at this thread. You have my sympathies OP, and I hope you sort it soon. Thankfully I had no poo disasters like that, had to scoop a few out the bath though. I can just imagine the horror on your face when you discovered it!

My friend had an sudacream paint job in her daughters room once.... it was everywhere, smeared all over the drawers, clothes the lot!

Dunno if it would work, but maybe try bringing her downstairs to fall asleep on the sofa so if she needs to poo, you can sit her on the potty.

I also recommend the letting her see you go to the loo, my daughter runs in to the loo when I am on and shouts to anyone listening what it is I am doing (pee pee or poo poo). Embarrassing when you got visitors!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    handymelon wrote: »
    Our daughter never used a potty and went straight to the toilet. Poohs first, when she was about two and a half, then wees once we were sure she was in control of the bowel movement.

She never did the smearing thing, but it does sound to me as if your daughter's ready to start poo-ing in a potty or the toilet.

I also think Abb-40 is right - time to get a bit firm. Make it clear to her that spreading the pooh is naughty and that she will get in trouble when she does it. Take some of her toys away and make clear why you've done it. Yoiu don't need to be complicated: "Pooh in the bed means no toys in the bed" will do it!

Girls can be very stroppy and you might have to butt heads with her a bit over it, but don't back down! :D

I would try putting her on the loo at about the time she usually poohs in the nappy and very firmly telling her that pooh goes in the toilet and nowhere else. Then if she *does* pooh in the toilet, go mad with praising her, and give her a reward.

We used a reward system with our daughter. We bought a sticker chart, and every time she poohed on the toilet she got a sticker and some chocolate buttons. If she poohed in her nappy she didn't get a sticker, and we told her that she was too big to pooh in a nappy any more and poohs go in the toilet. When she had a full row of stickers she got a cheap DVD (Peppa Pig ones are about £2-99) as a reward for being a Big Girl. She soon got the idea.

Another good tip came from our Health Worker - some tots don't like pooing on the toilet and "freeze up". If you get them to blow bubbles with bubble mixture it does two things - keeps them occupied, and also every time they blow the sphincter in their bum relaxes and it's easier for them to poo.

Hope this helps!

I think I might try that one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At risk of getting shouted at and please feel free to tell me I am all wrong .Have you actually told her its downright naughty ? I only ask this as some people pussyfoot around these issues and feel they cant be cross with kids over potty issues . Take all toys out and no books etc and tell her its because you dont want them getting dirty .
    I know people will correct me on this but at two she wil understand your tone of voice if not the entire rant .

On a practical side could you put an all in one on her that she cant get off ?

Oh I did get angry - she knew she'd done wrong!! particulaly when I had to put her in the bath and shower her down, she was very upset, but then she does it again the next night!!!

She's a very young two - not really talking yet (although she communicates fine!) and I'm not sure she'd understand the 'i'm taking your toys away because your naughty' tact but i'll try it (i'm willing to try ANYTHING now!)fingers.....still doesn't work!

All in ones were the first to come off! even those with a button across the zip to stop them escaping! I even tried some with mits on the end to stop her having access to her

Hope this helps!

thanks for this- i do think its to do with potty training, but if i try to take her bottoms off when she's on the toilet she has a fit - same with the potty. she doesn't understand it yet, and I'm not sure she'd understand the sticker chart thing etc - will try the bubbles on the potty though.. might keep her busy!!!

Her poo's used to be in the morning, so I've no idea why she's suddenly started doing them in the evening instead (there's no tummy trouble or change in diet). :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    Thankfully I had no poo disasters like that, had to scoop a few out the bath though.

The times when my delightful child poo-ed in the bath they were both soft ones and we had bath poo-porridge! :eek:

Had to lift her out, hose everything down with the shower-head, then hose her down.... :rolleyes:

Fortunately she hated it as much as we did and only did it twice! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bambii wrote: »
    God I have had a proper lol at this thread. You have my sympathies OP, and I hope you sort it soon. Thankfully I had no poo disasters like that, had to scoop a few out the bath though. I can just imagine the horror on your face when you discovered it!

My friend had an sudacream paint job in her daughters room once.... it was everywhere, smeared all over the drawers, clothes the lot!

Dunno if it would work, but maybe try bringing her downstairs to fall asleep on the sofa so if she needs to poo, you can sit her on the potty.

I also recommend the letting her see you go to the loo, my daughter runs in to the loo when I am on and shouts to anyone listening what it is I am doing (pee pee or poo poo). Embarrassing when you got visitors!

yes....we've had the sudocream ones as well, plus the wipes being destroyed (all of which is no longer stored within reach...) :D:D

I'm a bit reluctant to bring her downstairs as she's always sent herself off to sleep in her room, I don't want her to get too used to doing it with me there - I think I'll be causing problems of a different sort. Barring the poo-painting she was very good at going to bed, as I said she would sometimes play but was always asleep by 7.30 at the latest, often I'd have to put her down at 6 because she'd be off up the stairs to put herself to bed! its all started since the change in routine so I suspect its something to do with that and a desire to be potty trained too.

ref her seeing me on the loo, that already happens (wonderful having kids isn't it!) and she often tries to push her brother off when he's on there too!!

gosh she sounds like a little demon doesn't she!! she's a handful but generally good about these sort of things which is why I'm struggling to fix this now!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for this- i do think its to do with potty training, but if i try to take her bottoms off when she's on the toilet she has a fit - same with the potty. she doesn't understand it yet, and I'm not sure she'd understand the sticker chart thing etc - will try the bubbles on the potty though.. might keep her busy!!!

Her poo's used to be in the morning, so I've no idea why she's suddenly started doing them in the evening instead (there's no tummy trouble or change in diet). :mad:

I really do sympathise, cos girls can be *so* stubborn - I think with the "bottoms off on the toilet" thing you maybe just have to harden your heart and do it anyway. I wonder if it's because she finds the feel of the seat funny, or doesn't like having a hole underneath her?

Maybe the bubbles thing will distract her enough. Or a favourite book, or singing songs, or whatever works!
    Mine likes "Two Little Dicky-Birds", and at one stage she would do a poo for the Dicky-Birds whe she wouldn't do one for me! (God, the things they drive you to! :D:D:D )
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could you buy an all in one , cut the feet out and cut around the neck so it doesnt sit too high and turn it back to front ? I have seen parents of special needs kids do this .
    Its only to break a habit that she seems to locked into now . I hope you get it sorted as it must be a dreadful job to do .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok so my daughter is 2 on thursday. She's a happy little thing, but a bit of a handful!

Lately she's had a real thing about being clean - I presume its the start of potty training (although she doesn't know when she needs to go yet, just when she's been!) and gets really upset about being dirty.

She's started to refuse to go to sleep in the evenings, which isn't too much of an issue as she's happy to sit in her bed and play with a toy or music book. I put it down to being at home with me for 3 weeks for the easter break and now going back to childminders, all too much change. But this last week she's begun doing a poo after I've put her down for bed and then taking off her pj's and nappy and then spreading the poo EVERYWHERE.....she does it silently and at least an hour after i think she's finally asleep ( it was 10 to 10 last night!!). I have no idea why - I guess its something to do with not liking a dirty bum, but why she needs to mash it into the carpet, spread it all over the walls, bedding, toys etc I don't know. I'm at a loss as to what I can do.

Does any one have any ideas? i thought of putting a potty in there, but I doubt this will help, as she has no idea what its for!!

I really do not have any advice for you because i'm going through the same thing with my son at the moment. It really is a nightmare and I swear he got swapped at birth, cause mommy wouldn't have done such a thing when she was a baby...lol

Seriously though I think it is the irritation of the poor lingering on their bottoms and they don't like the feeling. I've tried everything with my son, he refuses to use the potty and the toilet. And I know when he's doing a poor he goes off and hides and I try to put him on the potty then but no such luck...I just have to watch him carefully when he's at home and have warned the nursery of this also.

If you find a way to curve her doing such things please pass on the advice to me.

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    could you buy an all in one , cut the feet out and cut around the neck so it doesnt sit too high and turn it back to front ? I have seen parents of special needs kids do this .
    Its only to break a habit that she seems to locked into now . I hope you get it sorted as it must be a dreadful job to do .

might have to try that. my mum suggested superglue :eek::eek::D:D:D:D
    Love_able wrote: »
    I really do not have any advice for you because i'm going through the same thing with my son at the moment. It really is a nightmare and I swear he got swapped at birth, cause mommy wouldn't have done such a thing when she was a baby...lol

Seriously though I think it is the irritation of the poor lingering on their bottoms and they don't like the feeling. I've tried everything with my son, he refuses to use the potty and the toilet. And I know when he's doing a poor he goes off and hides and I try to put him on the potty then but no such luck...I just have to watch him carefully when he's at home and have warned the nursery of this also.

If you find a way to curve her doing such things please pass on the advice to me.

Thanks

At least I'm not the only one, sorry but that does make me feel better!!! :D
    I really do sympathise, cos girls can be *so* stubborn - I think with the "bottoms off on the toilet" thing you maybe just have to harden your heart and do it anyway. I wonder if it's because she finds the feel of the seat funny, or doesn't like having a hole underneath her?

Maybe the bubbles thing will distract her enough. Or a favourite book, or singing songs, or whatever works!
    Mine likes "Two Little Dicky-Birds", and at one stage she would do a poo for the Dicky-Birds whe she wouldn't do one for me! (God, the things they drive you to! :D:D:D )

not sure what it is that she doesn't like, she seems more keen on the potty so will try the bubble thing on there.

She's obsessed with mickey mouse (i mean obsessed, its worrying) so I'l try and get a m.m music book or similar for the loo!!!