Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Wicker Man (1973)

Old 16-11-2012, 10:37
ironjade
Forum Member

Two great performances in a potentially great movie scuppered by the decision to use old hat found footage/shakycam filming throughout.
ironjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 16-11-2012, 13:33
whedon247
Forum Member

i heard its amazing,havnt seen it yet though
whedon247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 18:26
Scooterwolf
Forum Member

I enjoyed it, didn't mind the shaky cam footage. I thought Gyllenhaal and Pena were superb, I found it better than Street Kings/Training Day.
Scooterwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:02
RAZORBACK
Forum Member

I enjoyed it, didn't mind the shaky cam footage. I thought Gyllenhaal and Pena were superb, I found it better than Street Kings/Training Day.
Went to see this on Tuesday and I agree with the above comments...
RAZORBACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:04
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I like the premise, not too sure about the trailer. However, I want to see it.
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 21:38
Wetherby
Forum Member

Thought it was going to be a bit disappointing, but the last 40 minutes is excellent.
Wetherby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 22:56
jesse_pinkman
Forum Member

I'd like to see this, it looks much like Southland, which is one of my favourite shows.
jesse_pinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:04
Stansfield
Forum Member

I'd like to see this, it looks much like Southland, which is one of my favourite shows.
Southland is much Better.

EOW....6/10
Too much boring Chat from Jake Gyllenhaal & Michael Pe˝a...Action, when it comes, is just OK...And the shaky camera work.... irritating.
Stansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:22
Stephen_Simpson
Forum Member

Just saw it tonight. Really good. Gyllenhall and Pena could be Oscar Potentials.
Stephen_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2012, 20:46
PunksNotDead
Forum Member

I don't know why but from the trailer it looks cheaply made and pretty naff... However it's recieved some great reviews so i may check it out
PunksNotDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 23:41
Uk Ltd
Inactive Member

I thought a better ending would have been either:

A) Black dude who 'respects' cops saves them from the 4 trailer trash gangsters

B) Black dude who 'respects' cops avenges them by shooting dead the 4 trailer trash gangsters.
Uk Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 05:25
Ănima
Forum Member

I quite enjoyed this. The shakey cams annoy me in big budget action films, where I just want to see the special effects, but in this, I think it worked. It gave it a sort of documentary feel and added to the edgy, reality cop show atmosphere, that I think it was aiming for.

Great performances by both leads, though I found the constant swearing a bit irritating, and it's not exactly a cheery film either Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.
Ănima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 15:53
Stansfield
Forum Member

I don't know why but from the trailer it looks cheaply made and pretty naff... However it's recieved some great reviews so i may check it out
I quite enjoyed this. The shakey cams annoy me in big budget action films, where I just want to see the special effects, but in this, I think it worked. It gave it a sort of documentary feel and added to the edgy, reality cop show atmosphere, that I think it was aiming for.

Great performances by both leads, though I found the constant swearing a bit irritating, and it's not exactly a cheery film either Overall, I'd give it a 7/10.
It cost $7 million to make....It came out at the end of September in the US and made $39 million.
Old 27-11-2012, 16:39
dolfinack
Forum Member

Found footage / Shakycam is the ultimate turn off.
dolfinack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 14:30
Ănima
Forum Member

It cost $7 million to make....It came out at the end of September in the US and made $39 million.
What has that got to do with my post? I said shakey cams annoy me in big budget films because I miss the effects, which is why I didn't mind them in this because it is relatively low budget, and I think they were going for the police camera action style with it.

$7 million might sound like a lot, but it is low budget for a film, believe me. For example, a similar film by the same writer, "Training Day" cost $45 million and is still pretty low budget, and a big effects fest like Transformers for example would be well over $100 million.
Ănima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 16:19
Moe's tavern
Forum Member

Have to say this was a disappointment.

As some others have mentioned, the shakey-cam camera work is really tiresome now. It adds absolutely nothing to the film whatsoever.

And as also mentioned, this reeks of the acclaimed US drama series Southland, but is inferior to the show, despite having an eerily similar premise.

In its defence the on-screen relationship between Gyllenhaal and Pena is highly believable and works really well. Everything else though is a generic, run of the mill, LA cops and gangsters stuff.

Review here.
Moe's tavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 10:24
Super_Steve
Forum Member

I thought it was brilliant - one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Two superb performances for Gylanhaal and Pena.

Don't understand the gripe with the "shaky cam" - it adds a lot more realism to it than if it was a multi cam, multi angle film. It would lose its grittiness. You really found yourself bonding with the two characters.

It's Oscar worthy material for me.
Super_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 17:43
finkly
Forum Member

I didn't realise it was from the same guy who directed Training Day. It makes sense though, both are really good and have a similar feel. Agree that Gyllenhaal and Pena had great chemistry and the tension at the end was immense.

I didn't mind the shakey cam aspect too much, but then it doesn't bother me in general like it seems to with some. I guess some of the justification for certain characters filming was a bit clumsy, but eh.
finkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:12
CJClarke
Forum Member

I didn't realise it was from the same guy who directed Training Day. It makes sense though, both are really good and have a similar feel. Agree that Gyllenhaal and Pena had great chemistry and the tension at the end was immense.

I didn't mind the shakey cam aspect too much, but then it doesn't bother me in general like it seems to with some. I guess some of the justification for certain characters filming was a bit clumsy, but eh.
It's from the same writer as Training Day but not the same director.

Antoine Fuqua directed Training Day based on David Ayer's screenplay. David Ayer wrote/directed End of Watch.
CJClarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2012, 18:40
Stansfield
Forum Member

What has that got to do with my post? I said shakey cams annoy me in big budget films because I miss the effects, which is why I didn't mind them in this because it is relatively low budget, and I think they were going for the police camera action style with it.

$7 million might sound like a lot, but it is low budget for a film, believe me. For example, a similar film by the same writer, "Training Day" cost $45 million and is still pretty low budget, and a big effects fest like Transformers for example would be well over $100 million.
Just saying this film is the complete opposite to a big budget film....7 million, would just cover the catering with some of those films.
Old 29-11-2012, 19:57
finkly
Forum Member

It's from the same writer as Training Day but not the same director.

Antoine Fuqua directed Training Day based on David Ayer's screenplay. David Ayer wrote/directed End of Watch.
ah right, my mistake.
finkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 08:21
Alt-F4
Inactive Member

There's a good copy of this out which enabled me to skip the many boring parts, the hispanic baddies were stupidly unrealistic, but I'll give it 7/10 for using "Harder than you think" by public enemy
Alt-F4 is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 12:35
goldberry1
Forum Member

I'm a big Jake Gyllenhaal fan - my favourites are Zodiac, Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, the one on the train the name of which I always forget. Proof, Day After Tomorrow, October Sky - well most really. Would love to see End of Watch and glad that people like it mostly.

His films usually have good music in them.
goldberry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 17:21
kobashi100
Forum Member

man I just watched this. thought I was on to a winner when I got HD version the other night!

my god, this film is kinda boring. Weak storyline that doesnt seem to go anywhere!

The ending was so bad!!
kobashi100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2012, 19:20
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I'm a big Jake Gyllenhaal fan - my favourites are Zodiac, Donnie Darko, Brokeback Mountain, the one on the train the name of which I always forget. Proof, Day After Tomorrow, October Sky - well most really. Would love to see End of Watch and glad that people like it mostly.

His films usually have good music in them.
BIB: Source Code
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote