Options

No BBC HD on Panny TX-37LZD81

MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
Forum Member
I know BBC HD has changed sats, but now I don't have BBC HD on my Panasonic TX-37LZD81. Was OK last night. I have retuned etc and still not there. Showing "no signal". The instructions say TV will receive DVB-S and DVB-S2. All other channels appear OK.

Any ideas?

Mikembe

Comments

• Options
    delroy14delroy14 Posts: 222
    Forum Member
  • Options
    GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quote from the post in the BBC thread. Thought I'd add it here..
    Anyone else with a 2008 panachronic able to receive the new BBC HD channels? I've tried a freesat retune and still nothing. I'm loathed to perform a factory reset as it will delete all my non-freesat channels and it takes an absolute age for a rescan and even longer to delete the encrypted stuff that $ky don't flag correctly. Then there's the fact that you can't re-order the channel list so anything you want to be readily available you need to place at the higher end of the list by scanning the transponders in the order of preference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorted!!! :D

Got in touch with my panny dealer. Talked me through Total "Factory Reset" using "secret button" combinations to access it ;) and after 5 mins, including full retune, all OK again. :D:D

10/10 and a gold star to "Jody" at Panasonic. :D

Mikembe
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to help others with the problem you should probably post the SECRET BUTTON COMBINATION here :p

(Assuming it was actually secret rather than just a menu option :p)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Muzer says, how about sharing this info. After all you came on here asking for people to share their knowledge..

Anyhow does this so called secret code still delete non-freesat channels?
  • Options
    kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Mikembe wrote: »
    Sorted!!! :D

Got in touch with my panny dealer. Talked me through Total "Factory Reset" using "secret button" combinations to access it ;) and after 5 mins, including full retune, all OK again. :D:D

10/10 and a gold star to "Jody" at Panasonic. :D

Mikembe
    Setup>DVB-S Tuning Menu>Auto Setup: if that's what you used, OK but that deletes existing channel settings - we're looking for something without a full reset for DVB-S settings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Hi All
    I will never touch Panasonic products however good they may be. They follow their own specifications. People who bought their free view products in the early days were rendered useless by OTA software updates. The Saga of I player and in my case I bought a mini disc unit which only worked with 1 ft optical lead where as Sony JVC etc all work fine with longer optical cables. The other example was that in Leicester a LOCAL channel MATV used CH 69 Analogue, However Panasonics could never tune that channel as they decided the UK spec was CH 21-68 although 69 was a legal Channel. The wide band aerial specification was CH 21-68 so they based their TV spec on that.

rant over

Kirit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    All Panasonic 2008 LZD81 and PZ81 models seem to require a full shipping condition reset to get the DVB-S2 signal working on the new BBC1HD and BBCHD channels.

I have the PZ81 and freesat auto re-tune was not enough, nor was manual tuning on "other sat" mode - it found the new channels and listed them but "no signal" onscreen.

kerry - auto setup is not enough

mikembe - don't you mean "shipping condition"? It's on the menus so not really secret and asks "are you sure" 2 times over, then you have to switch off the tv and on again and go through scanning, postcode input etc.

Shipping condition reset is by itself not so bad just for freesat retuning, but it does return all your other settings to defaults and any "other sat" tuning/sorting will have to be done again which can be extremely slow. AV / HDMI settings also have to be reallocated / renamed if you don't use the default names provided. The same happened when CH4HD was officially launched.

Conclusion; Panasonic 2008 sets can handle DVB-S2 but cannot do so automatically so any future changes of this sort will also require full shipping condition resets because I cannot imaging P bothering to upgrade the software to take account of this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry for delay :cry:

"Secret button" combination was:

1). Press the V- button down on TV whilst pressing the i button down. Hold until reset screen comes up.

ie. The Volume minus button on tv and the information button on the remote control.

2). Turn TV off (on TV not remote) wait 30 secs. Turn on again. Wait for it to retune and all should be OK again.

Worked great. :D

Probably known to most of you guys anyway.

regards

Mikembe
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for delay :cry:

"Secret button" combination was:

1). Press the V- button down on TV whilst pressing the i button down. Hold until reset screen comes up.

ie. The Volume minus button on tv and the information button on the remote control.

2). Turn TV off (on TV not remote) wait 30 secs. Turn on again. Wait for it to retune and all should be OK again.

Worked great. :D

Probably known to most of you guys anyway.

regards

Mikembe

So did this delete existing channel settings and TV settings, or did it bring back loads of channels you had previously deleted and make it neccessary to reset all of your picture and sound settings?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Are we getting conflicting reports now on various forums about the 2008 range needing or not needing shipping condition resets?

Plus

I guess any factory reset to shipping condition on Panasonics might also lose you any firmware updates that had been set up and these will have to be done again and may not be available OTA. Well done P!
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rozet wrote: »
    Are we getting conflicting reports now on various forums about the 2008 range needing or not needing shipping condition resets?

Plus

I guess any factory reset to shipping condition on Panasonics might also lose you any firmware updates that had been set up and these will have to be done again and may not be available OTA. Well done P!

How would the box be able to revert the firmware ?. Once it's overwritten by a new one that's it. The only way to reflash the firmware is a new update.
  • Options
    terryklterrykl Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus

Put your toys back in the pram,and save your sarcasm until what you fear will happen actually does!!:rolleyes:
    I think you will find Grahams post to be correct,but then he is one of those on these forums who mostly knows what he is talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Plus

Are you thinking of posting this same question on any other threads apart from the two you have posted it on already!!:rolleyes:
  • Options
    larkimlarkim Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJW13 wrote: »
    So did this delete existing channel settings and TV settings, or did it bring back loads of channels you had previously deleted and make it neccessary to reset all of your picture and sound settings?

I will need to do this too tonight, so can someone confirm whether this "secret" combination does the same as a shipping reset? If so, I'll make a note in advance of the important settings that I've tweaked.

Thanks!

Matt
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 2010 models have the same problem as well,TXL32D28
    is a problem, I have one & others confirm this model; also failed to self reset to the new HDs .

JO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    The 2010 models have the same problem as well,TXL32D28
    is a problem, I have one & others confirm this model; also failed to self reset to the new HDs .

JO

Mine is a 2010 model although not the same as yours.to be honest I was very surprised to see that it had updated automatically!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Firmware is still latest download so grahamlthompson correct as he usually/always is. :)

Only hassle was having to add "other sats" :mad:

Mikembe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only hassle was having to add "other sats" :mad:

Mikembe

Thanks, won't be using that method then either. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arghhh.. :mad:
    It's worse than I remembered
    <snip> I'm loathed to perform a factory reset as it will delete all my non-freesat channels and it takes an absolute age for a rescan and even longer to delete the encrypted stuff that $ky don't flag correctly. Then there's the fact that you can't re-order the channel list so anything you want to be readily available you need to place at the higher end of the list by scanning the transponders in the order of preference.

There is no option to scan FTA only, so you have to delete every $ky channel irrespective of how it's flagged.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghhh.. :mad:
    It's worse than I remembered

There is no option to scan FTA only, so you have to delete every $ky channel irrespective of how it's flagged.

What a pain :eek:
  • Options
    Paul ReadingPaul Reading Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Kirit wrote: »
    Hi All
    I will never touch Panasonic products however good they may be. They follow their own specifications. People who bought their free view products in the early days were rendered useless by OTA software updates. The Saga of I player and in my case I bought a mini disc unit which only worked with 1 ft optical lead where as Sony JVC etc all work fine with longer optical cables. The other example was that in Leicester a LOCAL channel MATV used CH 69 Analogue, However Panasonics could never tune that channel as they decided the UK spec was CH 21-68 although 69 was a legal Channel. The wide band aerial specification was CH 21-68 so they based their TV spec on that.

rant over

Kirit

Well my parents had a Panasonic Freeview TV and it was knocked out by an OTA update and I contacted Panasonic and they sent me a memory stick with different firmware and I followed their instructions and hey presto everything was OK after that.

Full marks to Panasonic for that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I tried this on our Panasonic 2008 PZ81,

It does the same as "factory reset" plus more...

After the buttons have been pressed you see a results screen for a self diagnostics, but when the TV reboots you are presented with the screen that allows you to edit/re enter the security screen to enter your name,postcode,house number, not the screen to show regional channels but the one I thought could never be changed from the first time the TV was powered up, pointless security then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FreeDave wrote: »
    , pointless security then?

:eek: Failasonic.. PMSL what a bunch of divs :p