Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

oor wullie & broons

Old 04-11-2012, 15:26
Glenn A
Forum Member

Legends in Scotland and among English fans like me. Help ma boab, jings, crivvens, whaur's Wullie?
Glenn A is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 05-11-2012, 22:42
zx50
Forum Member

If you read the little rhyme at the top of the page, it gives the whole plot away! Always irked me if my eyes wandered to it while i was turning the page..
I don't really mind reading it to be honest. A rough guide is sort of good to get an idea of what's going to happen. I might try not reading it next year and see if it's better that way.
zx50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 20:48
Prilicla
Forum Member

If you read the little rhyme at the top of the page, it gives the whole plot away! Always irked me if my eyes wandered to it while i was turning the page..
I didn't bother to read the rhyme. I use to buy the annuals as they alternate between Oor Wullie and The Broons. But i don't buy them anymore. I got the The "Broons" and "Oor Wullie" Happy Days 1936-1969. It was great too see how they changed!
Prilicla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 21:45
excelents
Forum Member

i used to love how basically all the broons strips were basically 1 of 3 stories:

2. Maw broon decides the house needs some work done to it. Pa broon decides its too expensive and therefore says he will do it at a fraction of cost. When complete it looks great, then they notice the shortcuts paw took and he goes in a mood as they have to call in the decorators anyway. time!
I was about to post a reply in that the only story I remember is exactly what you have typed above in that one of the rooms needed a lick of paint.

After the job was finished the family were amazed at how cheap and quickly the job was done until they moved the furniature only to discover that it (furniature) had only been painted around, lol
excelents is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:31
KFA
Forum Member

I was about to post a reply in that the only story I remember is exactly what you have typed above in that one of the rooms needed a lick of paint.

After the job was finished the family were amazed at how cheap and quickly the job was done until they moved the furniature only to discover that it (furniature) had only been painted around, lol
Either that or he drops a barometer/clock/hammer on his foot and ends up in hospital with a ridiculous bandage.
KFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 22:36
Lenitive
Forum Member

Love these two stalwarts of Scottish culture! Have been reading them voraciously since primary school -- I remember always wanting a mouse like wee Jeemie.

Who's everyone's favourite Broon? I can never decide!
Lenitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 18:42
KFA
Forum Member

Love these two stalwarts of Scottish culture! Have been reading them voraciously since primary school -- I remember always wanting a mouse like wee Jeemie.

Who's everyone's favourite Broon? I can never decide!
I like Hen. I think its because he used to remind me of my favourite teacher.
KFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 15:55
Glenn A
Forum Member

I like Hen. I think its because he used to remind me of my favourite teacher.
Paw Broon, as quite often his attempts to make a bit extra often came to nothing.
In Oor Wullie I used to laugh at the teachers who were real dragons.
Old 10-11-2012, 19:04
highlander1969
Forum Member

Paw Broon for me. I think I'll BE him in a few years!
highlander1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 20:26
Tiwttmos
Forum Member

I was never keen on Horace stories, love the bairn!
Tiwttmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 23:14
gamez-fan
Forum Member

our wullie your wullie a'bodys wullie
ahh memories when i was a lad we used to think this was rude
gamez-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 11:21
balthasar
Forum Member

I did have old Broons annual, really good and well drawn.
balthasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 12:00
SHANK0055
Forum Member

I found a load of old Oor Wullies from my youth in my Dads loft a couple of weeks back - such great memories

Itís a shame they were in such terrible well read condition cos I bet a few of the older ones would be worth a few bob (boab) in good condition.

Mine all had pages hanging out and graffitied covers unfortunately
SHANK0055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 13:20
logansdad
Forum Member

Didn't Maggie get married and then they quietly phased the husband out?? I haven't read them in years but that sticks in my mind for some reason.
logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:33
Goldbear86
Inactive Member

Didn't Maggie get married and then they quietly phased the husband out?? I haven't read them in years but that sticks in my mind for some reason.
She was engaged to a guy called Dave and there was lots of reference to the wedding and their future home but like you say he did seem to be phased out!
Goldbear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 19:33
logansdad
Forum Member

She was engaged to a guy called Dave and there was lots of reference to the wedding and their future home but like you say he did seem to be phased out!
Thanks for that. I always wondered if the readership went down cos Maggie had a bloke!! I remember he was drawn different from the other charcters, not as cartoonish in a way..found it quite jarring if that makes sense.
Old 16-11-2012, 21:52
zx50
Forum Member

The Broons and Oor Wullie book that comes out with the annual shows, this year, a wedding photo of Maggie and Dave with all the Broons family, and of course, Wullie and his mates.
Old 16-11-2012, 22:08
logansdad
Forum Member

The Broons and Oor Wullie book that comes out with the annual shows, this year, a wedding photo of Maggie and Dave with all the Broons family, and of course, Wullie and his mates.
Ach, going to have to get it now!
Old 17-11-2012, 10:08
Goldbear86
Inactive Member

Thanks for that. I always wondered if the readership went down cos Maggie had a bloke!! I remember he was drawn different from the other charcters, not as cartoonish in a way..found it quite jarring if that makes sense.
Lol Maggie always has some sort of man in her life. I remember recently it was a valentines one and Joe, Hen and Daphne are rubbing it in to her as they have at least one and Maggie has none and it turns out Maggies are coming by special delivery as the post office have had to put an extra van on to bring her valentines!

I will need to go back through my older books and have a look for Dave! My older books belonged to my grandparents and great grandparents so he will be in one of those!
Goldbear86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 19:30
Glenn A
Forum Member

I found a load of old Oor Wullies from my youth in my Dads loft a couple of weeks back - such great memories

Itís a shame they were in such terrible well read condition cos I bet a few of the older ones would be worth a few bob (boab) in good condition.

Mine all had pages hanging out and graffitied covers unfortunately
I had an annual from the eighties and some of it was out of date, such as the teachers using the belt( outlawed at the start of the eighties in most of Scotland) and Wullie asking for a three pence ice cream. However, it had a charm all of its own and I used to enjoy reading Oor Wullie.
Old 17-11-2012, 21:30
zx50
Forum Member

Ach, going to have to get it now!
I forgot to say that it's on the front cover.
Old 01-01-2013, 18:01
Aspartame
Forum Member

I had an annual from the eighties and some of it was out of date, such as the teachers using the belt( outlawed at the start of the eighties in most of Scotland) and Wullie asking for a three pence ice cream. However, it had a charm all of its own and I used to enjoy reading Oor Wullie.
Just efter readin Oor Wullie this year, and it was braw

*ahem* Yes I have a collection of all of the annuals going back to the late 70s, and Wullie doesn't get the belt in school any more, he also doesn't get put over Paw's knee and skelped with a slipper. Kids today need some discipline.
Aspartame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 19:40
gerry d
Forum Member

The Broons as you have never seen them before http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKEWtUojpbY
gerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 20:26
Ambassador
Forum Member

Is it the Broons or Oor Wullie that came out this Christmas?

Normally see it in WHSmiths' and a few others but not seen it anywhere this year
Ambassador is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 22:42
ArcticJayH
Inactive Member

It was Oor Wullie this year.

Was cracking. Finished it already ha!
ArcticJayH is offline   Reply With Quote