Options

Bad news for expats

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 167
Forum Member
Hi all

Astra has just released the footprint of Astra 1N on their facbook page
http://http://www.facebook.com/SESASTRA
It just about covers UK & ireland the fringe signal disappears at Normandy Coast.

I see all future Sats at 28.2 with such low footpint.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't show fringe reception at all; it just cuts off at the 60cm mark. Therefore we still don't know how far it will extend for 2,4m or even 1m dishes.

Not even SES Astra will know for sure until it starts broadcasting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also bad news for Sky subscriptions I should imagine.

I see all future Sats at 28.2 with such low footpint says the op.Reminds me of the fortune teller with the glass ball.

JO
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    All the doom and gloom, we had all this with Astra 2D years ago. Official footprints are always very conservative, they have to be, to guarentee reception with a certain dish size.

The official Astra 2D footprint does not even cover my location (Copenhagen), however, I've been watching the channels on it for years.

Look forward to Astra 1N lighting up. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Look at this site for the footprints for Freesat satellites - there will be one for Astra 1N in due course.......
    www.satbeams.com/footprints
    ;)
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,610
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

I'd say there's not a lot in it, the shape of the footprint is also different between the two sats but so are the contours (lowest 50cm dish for 2D vs 45cm dish for 1N).

My guess is the footprints on the new 2E, 2F and 2G craft will be even tighter as they will be customised for 28.2E and UK use, I think the Expats may be a bit upset at what's to come in a few years time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well only time will tell. Let's wait til it is up and running before the doom and gloom starts. All we can do now is speculate, it's not KA-Sat, yet. :D

There is no real need for tighter spots for the UK, the only people to ever complain about Astra 2D was Sky (News corp).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Expat wrote: »
    Well only time will tell. Let's wait til it is up and running before the doom and gloom starts. All we can do now is speculate, it's not KA-Sat, yet. :D

There is no real need for tighter spots for the UK, the only people to ever complain about Astra 2D was Sky (News corp).

narrow tight beams are here to stay RTE are on test at 9e ka-sat only covers ireland and no over spill:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    See the footprints side by side:-
    http://dxsat.com/e2D/2d_V_1N.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    Also bad news for Sky subscriptions I should imagine.

The opposite I would have thought. If they lose free UK TV, expats will be more likely to dump FTA boxes and get Sky to carry on watching English language TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnneyboy wrote: »
    narrow tight beams are here to stay RTE are on test at 9e ka-sat only covers ireland and no over spill:eek:

How tight? I have easily picked up 2d on a 35cm Lidl camping dish in the Pyranees, yet the chart says I need 90cm!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The opposite I would have thought. If they lose free UK TV, expats will be more likely to dump FTA boxes and get Sky to carry on watching English language TV.

Those that don't already have it maybe however once all the new birds are in place even Sky's TP's will all go spotbeam too. We'll then see expats cancelling in droves!
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Those that don't already have it maybe however once all the new birds are in place even Sky's TP's will all go spotbeam too. We'll then see expats cancelling in droves!

If that is so Sky will loose a great deal of subs (I guess at least 250,000 perhaps more) - Price increases for the on-shore subscribers? I doubt Sky will do anything at all - why should they?

One thing they will not do is anything that will effect U.K. dish sizes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnneyboy wrote: »

Ireland have to use tight Ka-Sat as it would cost too much to go FTA on Astra 2D all over the UK.
    This is not a problem for UK channels
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How tight? I have easily picked up 2d on a 35cm Lidl camping dish in the Pyranees, yet the chart says I need 90cm!!

Presumably this assumes a sea level location. On top of a mountain may help a lot. :D

Which channels (transponders) were usable ?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Could you elaborate on that. The satellites are 23000 miles above the equator. The top of a mountain is not much nearer and the elevation angle is not much different.

If the mountain is high enough and you are in a marginal location then this could lift you into the higher strength part of the directional beam. 60cm is reported to be usable right down to the Spanish border on 2D depending on transponder, 1500M of altitude could make a difference. Nothing to do with distance or elevation. It would be pretty surprising if you can get every 2D transponder 24/7 on such a small dish.

Based on your argument the nearer the equator and to 28.2E the better the signal which is simply not true. Astra 2D can be used in Iceland according to some reports with only a modest dish (all down to beam pattern)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    interesting to know if reception astra 1n east europe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I think were probably worrying a little over nothing - Its true that RTE are testing on 9E spotbeam that covers ireland - AND WONT BE RECEIVABLE IN THE UK DESPITE THE GEOGRAPHICAL NATURE OF THE BRITISH ISLES _

BUt the reason it wont be is as follows:
    • Its a KA band satellite with a MASSIVELY tight beam
    • The frequencys will over lap with the French spot beam - although you could theoretically receive it in england, it will be drowned out when france starts pounding out their own Signal -

Obviously i cant be certain but i reckon the following will hold true - FREESAT WILL NEVER USE KA SPOTBEAMS - THe reasons would be as follows:

-More than one beam required to cover the UK - I think you would require a minimum of four to cover Great Britain and Northern Ireland-

- Different LNB's required - They would need all current Freesat users to change LNB

-More Fundamentally DIFFERENT LOCATION IN THE SKY! The big plus involved with Freesat is that sky users just take out there sky box and replace it with a Freesat one -

I cant see Sky changing over to KA - for the reasons listed above - They are established at 28.2 - It would require to much to change that - and as long as there at 28.2 there will be SOME stations available to ex-pats
  • Options
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    If that is so Sky will loose a great deal of subs (I guess at least 250,000 perhaps more) - Price increases for the on-shore subscribers? I doubt Sky will do anything at all - why should they?

One thing they will not do is anything that will effect U.K. dish sizes.

Spotbeams won't do anything for UK dish sizes, if anything field strength will increase (as per currently with 2D).

SES will be the ones calling the shots, not Rupert or his News Corp mates. It's rumoured SES may in the future want to reuse orbital slots on other territories from the same birds and with 28.2E currently in use on an African spotbeam they could have plans for this.

Time will tell but I do expect the new satellites to have footprints much tighter than 1N or 2D currently. I'd have a smug grin on my face personally if Sky lost 250,000 subscribers overnight, not for the Expats but to see Sky's subscriber figures drop! Surely there's more than 250,000 Expats subscribing to Sky in Europe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    At the end of the day ex pats who can´t get the channels they want on satellites will just stream them over the internet. There are some fabulous IPTV systems out there already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How do you work that out? same transponders

JO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    How do you work that out? same transponders

JO

Because Sky's pay channels aren't on 2d. There's enough encrypted English language programmes on the wide beam transponders without BBC1/2/3/4 ITV1 and C4 C5. There's no need for ITV2/3/4HD and E4HD to move to 1n.

Also, I expect BBC News to remain on a wide beam transponder (I'm sure it was moved from 2d to compete with Sky News in the expat market).
  • Options
    kerrykerry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    Expat wrote: »
    Ireland have to use tight Ka-Sat as it would cost too much to go FTA on Astra 2D all over the UK.
    This is not a problem for UK channels

Yep. My understanding is that the RTE spot beam is super tight. It is envisaged for western ireland where DTT coverage will be poor in rugged areas. I've see posts claiming that coverage won't be possible even on the eastern coast of the country.