Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Sarah Millican..................is there a single panel show she wont appear on ??

Old 25-06-2011, 21:11
Superbeast
Inactive Member

Her dad Spike would be so proud.
Please don't tarnish the great Spike Milligan's legacy by associating him with Sarah MilliCan ever again.
Superbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 25-06-2011, 21:32
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

It would be ok if she was actually funny.
Angel_Delights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:52
Straker
Forum Member

It would be ok if she was actually funny.
Winner: Chortle Awards Best Headliner 2010

Nominee: Barry Award, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2009

Winner: Chortle Awards Breakthrough Act 2009

Winner: if. Comedy Best Newcomer 2008

Winner: Best Breakthrough act, North-West Comedy Awards 2006

Nominee: Chortle Awards Best Newcomer 2006

Winner: Amused Moose Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: BBC New Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: So You Think You’re Funny 2005

Runner Up: Funny Women 2005

http://www.sarahmillican.co.uk/about.html
Straker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 21:58
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

Winner: Chortle Awards Best Headliner 2010

Nominee: Barry Award, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2009

Winner: Chortle Awards Breakthrough Act 2009

Winner: if. Comedy Best Newcomer 2008

Winner: Best Breakthrough act, North-West Comedy Awards 2006

Nominee: Chortle Awards Best Newcomer 2006

Winner: Amused Moose Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: BBC New Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: So You Think You’re Funny 2005

Runner Up: Funny Women 2005

http://www.sarahmillican.co.uk/about.html
I saw her on Micheal McIntyres comedy show a few weeks back and she wasn't that funny, and the audience would agree I think as they hardly laughed either.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:26
Straker
Forum Member

I saw her on Micheal McIntyres comedy show a few weeks back and she wasn't that funny, and the audience would agree I think as they hardly laughed either.
Yeah, a cabinet full of awards, more bookings than she can possibly cope with, her own radio show, an Edinburgh Festival hit year after year but I guess you’re right - She can’t possibly be funny.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:29
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

Oh sorry for having my own opinion
Old 25-06-2011, 22:37
Straker
Forum Member

Oh sorry for having my own opinion
An opinion would be qualified by saying “I personally don’t find her funny”, not just a sweeping “It would be ok if she was actually funny.” Clearly she is funny otherwise there’d be no awards, no commercial success etc. She might not be to your taste but that’s different to just categorising her as “unfunny”.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:39
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

Isn't it obvious it was my opinion? I didn't quote anyone.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:41
Straker
Forum Member

Isn't it obvious it was my opinion?
Not if you continue to back it in light of the evidence to the contrary I provided above. How do you explain all the awards she’s received? Were they all a fix?

You’re wrong is all - She is funny..... and not just IMO!
Old 25-06-2011, 22:41
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

She's not funny......in my opinion.

That better?
Old 25-06-2011, 22:42
Superbeast
Inactive Member

She's funny in the same way Miranda is funny. By that I mean she makes jokes about her weight, eating issues and being somewhat unattractive endlessly. I personally prefer Victoria Wood who does the same thing but not for her entire act and actually has a variety of material to draw from rather than basically just going back to variations of "look at me, I'm kind of ugly! I like biscuits! Most men find me unnattractive but I persist!" Jo Brand does the same thing but throws in some current events and political stuff to balance it out. But when "I'm fat, unattractive, I eat a lot and I am sexually awkward!" is all the act consists of... it just wears thin really quickly. It's like every black British female comedian going on about beating kids, their harsh parents and weird patois slang, most of us got tired of that act when Lenny Henry used it in the 80s. We got even more tired of it when 3 Non Blondes ran the joke into the ground. At this point hearing it from Andi Osho it's like "do you have any originality at all?"
Old 25-06-2011, 22:44
Straker
Forum Member

She's not funny......in my opinion.

Wise people modify their opinions if presented with facts that contradict held beliefs.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:47
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

Just because she has won awards (A majority on that list I've not even heard of) doesn't mean I have to find her funny now.

The Only Way is Essex won a BAFTA over Downten Abbey, does that make that more quality tv?
Old 25-06-2011, 22:48
Superbeast
Inactive Member

Just because she has won awards (A majority on that list I've not even heard of) doesn't mean I have to find her funny now.
Don't you realise? Awards mean something, it's not just a committee decision based on endorsing people so they are then implicitly indebted to you for giving their career a boost, not at all.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:49
Straker
Forum Member

But when "I'm fat, unattractive, I eat a lot and I am sexually awkward!" is all the act consists of... it just wears thin really quickly.
Congrats - You caught a couple of self-deprecating gags from her act, most likely on MTW. It’s not all she does and perhaps you should try listening to the R4 show to correct your misconception. She’s by far the best of the current crop of female comics.

Ironic that you cite Brand as a better comic when (recent BBC4 show aside) she’s just been flogging jokes about cake (and maybe pies if she feels like freshening up her woefully tired material) for over 20 years!!
Old 25-06-2011, 22:53
Straker
Forum Member

Oh, I don’t expect you to but you should at least acknowledge that many people do which makes yours a minority opinion really. She’s a successful comic.....which must annoy you quite a lot.

The Only Way is Essex won a BAFTA over Downten Abbey, does that make that more quality tv?
It was a People’s Choice award IIRC and Downton Abbey won several other awards that same night and no doubt will win many more so it’s a fairly piss-weak example really.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:53
pete137
Forum Member

Yeah, a cabinet full of awards, more bookings than she can possibly cope with, her own radio show, an Edinburgh Festival hit year after year but I guess you’re right - She can’t possibly be funny.
We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ? Are you a relative by any chance ha ha !
pete137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2011, 22:54
Straker
Forum Member

Don't you realise? Awards mean something, it's not just a committee decision based on endorsing people so they are then implicitly indebted to you for giving their career a boost, not at all.

Ah right, so I can put you down for the “they’re ALL a fix” camp can I?
Old 25-06-2011, 22:56
Angel_Delights
Forum Member

Oh, I don’t expect you to but you should at least acknowledge that many people do which makes yours a minority opinion really. She’s a successful comic.....which must annoy you quite a lot.

It was a People’s Choice award IIRC and Downton Abbey won several other awards that same night and no doubt will win many more so it’s a fairly piss-weak example really.
You're the one who seems to have a problem and can't accept someone isn't a fan of hers. I'm not annoyed at her, good luck to her just don't find her funny.

And as you seem to judge funny on awards - Jo Brand British Comedy Award 2011 Best TV Comedy Actress: BAFTA Best Female Performance in a Comedy Role.
Old 25-06-2011, 22:56
Straker
Forum Member

We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ?
And now you punctuate where none is needed! Piss my pants funny!

If you’re going to slate someone, calling them a simpleton, it’s probably a good idea not to make yourself look like one at the same time wouldn’t you say?
Old 25-06-2011, 23:01
Superbeast
Inactive Member

Ah right, so I can put you down for the “they’re ALL a fix” camp can I?
Um... yeah... because that should be obvious when it's anything other than a people's choice award. Duh.
Old 25-06-2011, 23:03
Straker
Forum Member

You're the one who seems to have a problem and can't accept someone isn't a fan of hers. I'm not annoyed at her, good luck to her just don't find her funny.
But she IS funny. Just because you or others don’t agree doesn’t negate that central truth. You could repeat it endlessly on every forum available but she’d still go on filling auditoria, selling DVDs and appearing on panel shows and by sheer dint of continuing to work....proving her detractors wrong.
Old 25-06-2011, 23:05
Straker
Forum Member

Um... yeah... because that should be obvious when it's anything other than a people's choice award. Duh.
Err....OK, Captain Conspiracy.
Old 25-06-2011, 23:08
Superbeast
Inactive Member

Congrats - You caught a couple of self-deprecating gags from her act, most likely on MTW. It’s not all she does and perhaps you should try listening to the R4 show to correct your misconception. She’s by far the best of the current crop of female comics.

Ironic that you cite Brand as a better comic when (recent BBC4 show aside) she’s just been flogging jokes about cake (and maybe pies if she feels like freshening up her woefully tired material) for over 20 years!!
I've seen her on Opinionated, Dave's One Night Stand, Live At The Apollo, Comedy Roadshow, Have I got News For You, King Of..., Lee Mack's All Star Cast, C4 Comedy Gala... I'm well aware of her act and routines. Whether it's the biscuit argument or the dirty dancing pool lift or the little kids are annoying routine, I've heard pretty much all of them. I am not going off a few jokes, I am going off of being exposed to this woman for the last 14 months non stop because she's one of the acceptable faces of female comedy.

The best of the current crop of female comics? Whitney Cummings, Kathy Griffin, Marget Cho, Zoe Lyons, Samantha Bee, Tina Fey, Amy Sedaris, Jessica Delfino, Rhona Cameron, Josie Long, Holly Walsh and Fiona Allen are all superior comediennes in my estimation.
Old 25-06-2011, 23:09
ilovewallander
Forum Member

We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ? Are you a relative by any chance ha ha !
Yes, and it should be "you're her biggest fan" not "your her biggest fan". Sorry to be picky
ilovewallander is offline   Reply With Quote