Options

Cancel your Sky Subscription

The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
Forum Member
I've cancelled my Sky Subscription a few months ago and they first offer you a free upgrade, if you refuse you get six months half price.

Happy days.

Comments

• Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got the 6 months half price straight away, didn't even have to say much other than it was too expensive. Guess it depends which agent you get on the phone.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, I'd like to cancel my Sky subscription because I'm utterly outraged at the scandalous behaviour of the News of the World.

Half price for six months, you say? Well, they were only doing their jobs.
  • Options
    simasima Posts: 1,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cancelled sky ages ago, no way I'd pay for crap but if I had it I'd be wanting mega reductions after NOTW saga, not to mention thinking who's reading me emails on sky broadband.

hope virgin bring a ad out "with virgin you emails & phone calls are safe with us" ;oP
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vixen wrote: »
    I've cancelled my Sky Subscription a few months ago and they first offer you a free upgrade, if you refuse you get six months half price.

Happy days.

Sorry, but why are you announcing this several months after you cancelled your subs...? Their policy may have changed by now.

One suspects you're trying to be topical. Are you hoping for a big debate about whether people should cancel to protest recent events...?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,438
    Forum Member
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Sorry, but why are you announcing this several months after you cancelled your subs...? Their policy may have changed by now.

One suspects you're trying to be topical. Are you hoping for a big debate about whether people should cancel to protest recent events...?

I recently got a free-to-air satellite system to complement my Freeview set up and one of the reasons was because no money would go to the Murdochs and this was even before those most horrendous victim hacking revelations came out. I think they are far too powerful and influential now and need restraining.
  • Options
    Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    I was in Tesco last week, and because the lady in front didn't have much money with her, she got all her shopping half price. It annoyed me because we had the exact same items and quantity of items.

It just shows Sky like to make things up as they go along.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently got a free-to-air satellite system to complement my Freeview set up and one of the reasons was because no money would go to the Murdochs and this was even before those most horrendous victim hacking revelations came out. I think they are far too powerful and influential now and need restraining.

Cancelling Sky subscriptions won't restrain them though. If anything, cancelling subs now is after the horse has bolted...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Cancelling Sky subscriptions won't restrain them though. If anything, cancelling subs now is after the horse has bolted...

The horse may have bolted, but cancelling subs now will keep it in the paddock.:D
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sima wrote: »
    cancelled sky ages ago, no way I'd pay for crap but if I had it I'd be wanting mega reductions after NOTW saga, not to mention thinking who's reading me emails on sky broadband.

hope virgin bring a ad out "with virgin you emails & phone calls are safe with us" ;oP

Is this a serious post? You do realise that BSkyB has nothing to do with the scandal save being part owned by the paper's owners. You obviously have no idea how phone hacking works at all.
  • Options
    abbottabbott Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    oh no well why did they hack my emails:mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Is this a serious post? You do realise that BSkyB has nothing to do with the scandal save being part owned by the paper's owners. You obviously have no idea how phone hacking works at all.

And you seem to have a poor grip on reality. The Murdocks own the NOTW and a large portion of SKy BSB. They want to buy all of SKY BSB and that would make them a very formidable company. Yet the phone hacking happened by a paper they own, edited by a woman whom they protect regardless of 'possible' wrong-doing. They have to PROVE (legally) that they are fit & trustworthy to be the outright owners of SKY/BSB. The phone hacking happended on their watch, they let people do things without thinking of the repercussions of their actions. People involved have lied to the police, lie to the government, bribed police and tried to deny they knew anything of the events. Then to protect themselves further, they shut down the newspaper with a loss of 200 jobs of people who weren't involved with the problem in the first place, but the person who was is still 'intact' and has her job - with their blessing. Is this the actions of a fit & trustworthy owner?
    If people want to show their disgust at this affiar, then SKY BSB is a legitimate traget of their anger.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi! All
    It would be nice if all subscribers would cancel their subscription and in an ideal world if Sky could go down the pan in the same way as they made ITV Digital and Setanta go down the pan, and I have seen a comment in todays Daily Mirror from an invester warning others to cash in their shares in Sky as he fears more drops in the value of shares.

I would like to think that FAT CAT Murdoch will have his downfall and the sooner the better, and if it did happen then the BBC would get more funds from the goverment and we would rightly get live football and cricket back on the BBC and free to air.

I mean it might even be that Murdoch will pull all business out of the country, but as my Dad says he has far too much money.

Also can you imagine the other things that would happen with lots of football clubs going out of business due to the loss of funds from Sky, it is a shame and while it would be nice if all subscribers could pull their business from Sky.

If just a few pulled out then it is nothing as the only thing that would happen would be being unable to watch live cricket and lots of live football.

I think all what lots of us can do is hope and pray that FAT CAT Murdoch pulls his business out of the UK altogether and someone else took over Sky.

Hold on theres a flying pig.
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we were to boycott every product of every company whose employees have used this telephone hack (I'm embarrassed to call it a "hack", it is actually just using a facility offered by mobile phone providers) we would not be buying anything.

I personally know three sales reps who use this to "hack" the mobile phones of their competitors to get sales leads.

It is common widespread practice, only the scale and sensitivity of the NOTW affair makes it so despicable that the actual perpetrators deserve all that is coming to them, jail terms I hope. Note actual perpetrators not corporations!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    This is not just about phone hacking it's about bribing police officers, threatening politicians, possibly obstructing justice by deleting voicemail messages and one man who is not even a citizen having too much influence over our free press.

The only way that I can express my disgust is to cancel my sky subscription and tell them that i will go back when The Murdochs have no influence there and not buy anything from any company that advertises with news international.

Or I could whine about not wanting to loose football and us tv.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I was a Sky subscriber I would not stop subscribing, but if Murdock took full control of Sky I would stop subscribing.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulag wrote: »
    This is not just about phone hacking it's about bribing police officers, threatening politicians, possibly obstructing justice by deleting voicemail messages and one man who is not even a citizen having too much influence over our free press.

The only way that I can express my disgust is to cancel my sky subscription and tell them that i will go back when The Murdochs have no influence there and not buy anything from any company that advertises with news international.

Or I could whine about not wanting to loose football and us tv.

presumably you did this in 2006 when the story broke?
  • Options
    AVTECHAVTECH Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulag wrote: »

1) Any police officers accepting bribes are equally culpable as those INDIVIDUALS offering them, so find them, prosecute them, jail them.

2) Any politician who feels threatened is obviously too weak to hold that position or has something to hide (e.g. expenses or sexual activity) so vote them out.

3)Obstructing justice is a criminal offence, so find the INDIVIDUALS, Prosecute them , jail them.

4) I am not a CITIZEN.... YOU are not a CITIZEN.... we are all SUBJECTS OF HER MAJESTY. Rupert Murdoch as an Australian passport holder is also a SUBJECT OF HER MAJESTY, so has as much right to the free press as anyone else.

I am no lover of Rupert Murdoch, but I cannot understand this vilification of him by the IGNORATI.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Murdoch is a US citizen, he lost his Australian citizenship in 1985, has he got two passports.