Options

espn free to subscribers of sky sports 1 and 2.......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
Forum Member
in ireland from the 19th july .Will the same be happening for the rest of the u.k?

http://www.hdsportsandmovies.com/

Comments

• Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be good if they did.

I often see Irish posters saying they pay more for Sky (when the Euro is converted to Sterling), so maybe Sky are trying to sweeten the deal a bit?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would be good if they did this during the football season when they have at least one decent game on, but I doubt very much that will happen.
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im surprised sky haven't offered something like this. As your all aware espn is free with TVXL on VM, on BT Vision and TalkTalk TV. I'm guessing it costs these broadcasters a pretty penny to have it included at no extra charge but i really am surprised sky haven't acted.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would be good if ESPN and Sky could come to some sort of deal it would save me £9
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed a poster on the Sky booth in town today that said Free ESPN for new subscribers who sign up for Sports 1 & 2. Didn't read the small print.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    just looked through the sky ireland website for this. there is nothing mentioned about this offer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    "just looked through the sky ireland website for this. there is nothing mentioned about this offer."

Offer starts tuesday 19th july (check back then)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    If you go to Sky active on your Sky box in the UK, you can get ESPN free for three months when you upgrade to Sky Sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im guessing this doesn't apply if you add espn but already have SkySports ?
  • Options
    omar comerfordomar comerford Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi all,

just a quick note i checked with sky c/s this morning that ESPN is free or all new & current sky customers that have sky sports 1,2. in ireland only,

omar
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi all,

just a quick note i checked with sky c/s this morning that ESPN is free or all new & current sky customers that have sky sports 1,2. in ireland only,

omar

You lucky lot :)
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    You lucky lot :)

Yeah...feel a bit hard done by :(

But then again, the ROI subscribers get royally screwed by the exchange rates etc. so I guess they should get something in return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Wow! I just got the letter today. I thought it was going to finally bring the farcical situation to an end, for everyone. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact Setanta still operates here, maybe ESPN struggled getting subscribers. I always wanted NASN/ESPN but could not justify it on top of Sky Sports.

I'm sure it will come to the UK soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I go to the upgrade page on Sky it gives me the option to have ESPN free for 3 months? Not continued all the way to the checkout yet so I'm guessing it doesn't allow you too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! I just got the letter today. I thought it was going to finally bring the farcical situation to an end, for everyone. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact Setanta still operates here, maybe ESPN struggled getting subscribers. I always wanted NASN/ESPN but could not justify it on top of Sky Sports.

I'm sure it will come to the UK soon.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. If ESPN came with Sky Sports for free, then it would be free to both Virgin and Sky customers. Where would their revenue come from? Top Up TV/BT Vision customers? Along with Sky non-Sky Sports Subscribers? Both of which I imagine to be very small groups. Without knowing any facts or figures, I'd have a stab that ESPN's largest customer base is Sky customers who already subscribe to Sky Sports.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Got a letter today confirming it was now free. Maybe now I can still afford the 3pm Setanta games this year...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnwomble wrote: »
    Got a letter today confirming it was now free. Maybe now I can still afford the 3pm Setanta games this year...

Way to rub it in even more for UK subscribers!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't be so sure about that. If ESPN came with Sky Sports for free, then it would be free to both Virgin and Sky customers. Where would their revenue come from? Top Up TV/BT Vision customers? Along with Sky non-Sky Sports Subscribers? Both of which I imagine to be very small groups. Without knowing any facts or figures, I'd have a stab that ESPN's largest customer base is Sky customers who already subscribe to Sky Sports.

Although ESPN is free to Virgin customers on their top tier tv package, it is not free to Virgin. Virgin still pay ESPN but do not directly pass on the cost on to top tier customers.

Sky could provide it free of charge to those who take Sports 1 & 2 (by doing a similar deal) but I would suspect that the cost would be prohibitive.
  • Options
    GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eh, what are the profits for sky??

gbc--
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    According to the 2010 annual report £855m.

Although that report gives the total number of subscribers it does not say how many are dual sports subscribers so how much giving ESPN to dual sports subscribers would cost Sky is an unknown even if we knew how much VM are paying ESPN for each XL subscriber.
  • Options
    steverichsteverich Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    And why would Sky provide such a deal when ESPN are sky's only realstic competitiors when the Premier league rights come up next. Surely the fewer subs ESPN get the less income they will have = less money to spend on rights. I know ESPN are huge but they wont want to be operating a loss in this country for long.
  • Options
    Mark125Mark125 Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although ESPN is free to Virgin customers on their top tier tv package, it is not free to Virgin. Virgin still pay ESPN but do not directly pass on the cost on to top tier customers.

Sky could provide it free of charge to those who take Sports 1 & 2 (by doing a similar deal) but I would suspect that the cost would be prohibitive.

ESPN is not really free to VM customers either. Its INCLUDED in the top tv package which is £35 a montn excluding SkySports/MOVIES.

Where as skys top entertainment package is £24 for a lot more channels but no ESPN, I'm sure Sky could put ESPN in the pack and charge £35 for it but customers dont wan that.
  • Options
    daniel99daniel99 Posts: 12,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would be good if SKY did put ESPN free to Sky World Subscribers like myself it would save me £9 a month
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I personally think the cost is sneaked into the XL tv package. After all it is £25p/m on it's own ;) nothing is free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark125 wrote: »
    ESPN is not really free to VM customers either. Its INCLUDED in the top tv package which is £35 a montn excluding SkySports/MOVIES.

Where as skys top entertainment package is £24 for a lot more channels but no ESPN, I'm sure Sky could put ESPN in the pack and charge £35 for it but customers dont wan that.

isn't it £24.50 a month not 35 ?