Options

New Guardian ICM Poll - Tories ahead, Labour down 3% and LDs up 4%

MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
Forum Member
Interesting new poll - with surprising results.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/jul/18/phone-hacking-guardian-icm-poll

"The phone-hacking crisis has so far done little to shift attitudes to political leaders and their parties, a Guardian/ICM poll suggests. A small recovery in Ed Miliband's personal rating has not been matched by a rise in Labour support.

Instead, the Liberal Democrats appeared to have gained most, with party support up four points to 16%. That is the highest in an ICM poll since March, and also higher than in recent polls, whose different methodology typically shows a higher Labour and low Lib Dem share than the long-running Guardian/ICM series.

This month's rise in Lib Dem support has come at Labour's expense, with the party dropping three points to 36%.

This move, not yet confirmed by other polls, has the effect of giving the Conservatives, unchanged on 37%, a one-point lead. Only one other poll this year, also from ICM in March, has shown the Conservatives ahead. Other smaller parties are on a combined 11%."

Comments

• Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it goes to show that the general public really are not that interested in the hacking saga and are far more concerned about the economic realities of life and who is best placed to get us out of the financial mess we are in.

The media are perpetuating the hacking for their own self publicising ends.
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Guardian must be terribly disappointed its a wonder they did not bury that news!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,152
    Forum Member
    The Tories aren't unpopular, Cameron is , big difference
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best poll ever was the one to put the Tories a few points ahead, just a couple of days before the 1997 election. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Currently Cameron is ahead of Miliband in the leader's ratings.........
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayceef1 wrote: »
    I think it goes to show that the general public really are not that interested in the hacking saga and are far more concerned about the economic realities of life and who is best placed to get us out of the financial mess we are in.

The media are perpetuating the hacking for their own self publicising ends.

:D Yeah, that's exactly what it means. It doesn't mean that the Tories are ahead in polls, it ACTUALLY means the general public aren't interested in the hacking scandal and police bribery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best poll ever was the one to put the Tories a few points ahead, just a couple of days before the 1997 election. :D

Sorry - but can you provide some evidence for that statement- was the poll you referred to conducted in Surrey?:D

In fact there was no national poll showing the Tories ahead of Labour in the lead up to the 1997 election - instead almost every poll (including all but one out of the last 15 conducted) actually overestimated Labour's lead (by up to 10%).

http://ipsos.co.uk/newsevents/ca/93/The-Polls-and-the-British-General-Election-of-1997.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hes the most popular Leader!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Sorry - but can you provide some evidence for that statement- was the poll you referred to conducted in Surrey?:D

In fact there was no national poll showing the Tories ahead of Labour in the lead up to the 1997 election - instead almost every poll (including all but one out of the last 15 conducted) actually overestimated Labour's lead (by up to 10%).

http://ipsos.co.uk/newsevents/ca/93/The-Polls-and-the-British-General-Election-of-1997.aspx

That was before the "It's alright" incident.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jilly wrote: »
    That was before the "It's alright" incident.:o

That was 1992!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was 1992!

Your right, oh dear:o
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's been missed off the list for some reason, but I remember it well. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's interesting about this poll though, is in reference to Ed Miliband's ratings. While they have clearly recovered from quite low points in recent months, is Miliband's improvement in ratings due to Labour's supporters suddenly finding a new found confidence in their leader or those undecided/floating voters? I've been thinking this recently, in the last couple of days or so, so this finding in the ICM poll is interesting, but not neccessarily conclusive. There's more polls to go though today - Populus poll (Times) and a ComRes poll so I'll watch out for that.
  • Options
    alanr74alanr74 Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say the ICM poll is a bit of an outliner. I certainly don't feel the LDs should have gained so many supporters back through all of this (there are a lot of don't know/wont vote people, who voted LD last election, far higher than any other party).

Still will be interesting to see the other results.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanr74 wrote: »
    I would say the ICM poll is a bit of an outliner. I certainly don't feel the LDs should have gained so many supporters back through all of this (there are a lot of don't know/wont vote people, who voted LD last election, far higher than any other party).

The LDs are the only party that has consistently been hostile towards Murdoch over the last twenty years, so there could be a small bounce as a result of this.

I agree that one poll isn't really worth talking about - we need to see a trend of several polls to form an opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanr74 wrote: »

Quote from The Independent....poll in paper 17th July....

The survey also shows that Ed Miliband has enjoyed a bounce from his handling of the scandal, with his personal rating up seven points on a month ago. The Labour leader secured four victories since the scandal erupted 10 days ago: calling for a public inquiry, demanding Rebekah Brooks's resignation, calling for the BSkyB deal to be dropped and suggesting that Rupert Murdoch apologise to Milly Dowler's family.

By contrast, David Cameron's personal rating has fallen by three points.

Labour are up three points to 40 per cent on last month's poll for the IoS, while the Conservatives are down one point at 36. The Lib Dems remain unchanged on 10 per cent.

Not quite the same as what you were stating at the beginning then MARTYM8?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/murdoch-down-and-ed-miliband-up-in-new-opinion-poll-2315112.html
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tories should appreciate the lead whilst they can - it'll be gone again tomorrow.

This poll does seem somewhat out-of-whack with recent surveys. And certainly very different from the COMRES poll, showing

" Labour are up three points to 40 per cent on last month's poll for the IoS, while the Conservatives are down one point at 36. The Lib Dems remain unchanged on 10 per cent"

for the same polling date.

In the case of this ICM poll there has been no gain for the Tories, simply a loss to the vote for Labour. LibDems have picked up - don't know if that's genuine or just this one poll result.

You might find it was the annual survey takers piss-up the night before the survey, and rather than actually go and do real surveys, they all stayed in bed with hangovers and faked the results. :p
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the voters don't blame Cameron for employing Coulson. A lot of people believe in giving people second chances and Coulson did nothing wrong while he worked for Cameron.

Plus Labour are just as covered in Murdoch scandal as the Tories. If Ed Millibands ratings have gone up its because more people actually know who he is, that may not last though when people want real, quality, alternative policies to vote for.

All they have at the moment is Ed Balls policy of tax cuts, more spending and reducing the deficit slightly slower. Work that one out if you can.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    Quote from The Independent....poll in paper 17th July....

The survey also shows that Ed Miliband has enjoyed a bounce from his handling of the scandal, with his personal rating up seven points on a month ago. The Labour leader secured four victories since the scandal erupted 10 days ago: calling for a public inquiry, demanding Rebekah Brooks's resignation, calling for the BSkyB deal to be dropped and suggesting that Rupert Murdoch apologise to Milly Dowler's family.

By contrast, David Cameron's personal rating has fallen by three points.

Labour are up three points to 40 per cent on last month's poll for the IoS, while the Conservatives are down one point at 36. The Lib Dems remain unchanged on 10 per cent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/murdoch-down-and-ed-miliband-up-in-new-opinion-poll-2315112.html

Don't forget the three point margin of error.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Public to Labour: Get lost!

:D:D:D

just shows how little this media story resonates with the public.

Its the economy stuipid (Ed!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the three point margin of error.

Applies to Guardin poll as well, cancel each other out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Mc wrote: »

I was merely quoting word for word from the Guardian's poll and article. I didn't add any spin at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was merely quoting word for word from the Guardian's poll and article. I didn't add any spin at all!

QUOTE]

Point taken....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    Currently Cameron is ahead of Miliband in the leader's ratings.........

Nick Griffin is probably ahead of him as well. :D
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Public to Labour: Get lost!

:D:D:D

just shows how little this media story resonates with the public.

Its the economy stuipid (Ed!)
    I just like how the Tory supporters on here go in to orgasm mode because of 1 poll.:rolleyes: