Options

Why do 80% of celebrities relationships never last?

radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Have you noticed how many of them break up so quickly? It ranges from 6 months to 5 years, but allways ends in the same way.

I think these people are so unable to commit they might as well not even try.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    They get swept up in the whirlwind romance stage and get married too quickly without really knowing each other, having said that, I've not idea how the Beckham's have lasted so long, no offence to them.
  • Options
    nats18nats18 Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    I reckon it's down to jealousy for a lot of the younger ones ultimately one will get more famous than the other and the other person will become known as their partner. Add that to travelling a lot and hardly seeing each other not a lot of time to fix a relationship thats going wrong
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have the added incentive of OK/Heat/Closer/Now/Reveal waving a cheque at them for the engagement/wedding exclusive meaning they rush into things way before a regular Joe would.
    No worries if/when it breaks down as the same rags will pay top dollar for the 'My Break Up Hell' exclusive story complete with obligatory heartbreak photos
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not seeing each other too often due to work commitments and competing egos !

They may work better if they don't do the same kind of work, eg 2 actors over a football / singer combination. See the Beckhams rather than the Coles.
  • Options
    C OC O Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    You made that figure up. We don't hear about succesful relationships.
  • Options
    NeilBrookesNeilBrookes Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that 80% of all relationships end after comparatively short periods, be it for celebrities or normal people like us. We all have lots of pressures in our lives, and often those pressures and dealing with them are not condusive to long lasting fulfilling relationships.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showbiz is a very artificial world, full of shallow and superficial people, often far more obsessed with fame, money and status than romance. It's hard for the celebs who are genuine to find like minded people, and there is pressure on the relationships right from the outset.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about this '80%' figure but a lot of people seem to think the grass is greener once they are faced with the mundanities of everyday life in a long-term relationship.

Once the initial excitement of a new relationship fades they start believing there must be something 'better' out there and that they've got to grab it before they're too old or 'past-it'.

And of course for the z-listers, nothing (dis)graces the cover of OK! magazine quite like a great big pink blancmange quickie wedding, with the pay cheque to go with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    There has to be genuine trust and they have to want the same things. Not of fan of Tom Hanks or Victoria, but their relationships are still going strong. If showbiz romances consist of two shallow money grabbing famewhores who just use/dump each other when they've found trash idol status, then it might not be so easy.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where does the 80% figure come from?

The problem is, we only hear about the unsuccessful relationships (i.e. those that end), not the successful ones. There also seems to be a certain amount of generalisation going on about celebs - there are many who don't spill their guts to Hello and OK! mags and live outside the media spotlight.
  • Options
    M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    If you were a celeb then the pool of people you can pick a partner from becomes much less - usually because of trust, You might have in the back of your mind that this person is dating you because they know your famous

Also look at the amount of marriages and relationships in your friends and family, if you compare the age ranges I bet it is pretty similar percentage,

Also how many women have to stay with their husbands because of security though they may have cheated or be serial cheaters whereas the celeb has a bit more independance

Oh and then you get the Pappacu*ts who marry for publicity and money, who sell their storys to ok to make a buck, get their t!ts out and get paid by Murdoch from the grubby money he has made from traipsing through dead peoples messages etc these are just low life and have no concept of marriage.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    I have a feeling that 80% of all relationships end after comparatively short periods, be it for celebrities or normal people like us.

This. The difference is that celebrity ones get the headlines, ordinary people's don't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling that 80% of all relationships end after comparatively short periods, be it for celebrities or normal people like us. We all have lots of pressures in our lives, and often those pressures and dealing with them are not condusive to long lasting fulfilling relationships.

I came to write exactly the same thing :cool:
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    Have you noticed how many of them break up so quickly? It ranges from 6 months to 5 years, but allways ends in the same way.

You may notice that your friends and family member also have relationships that don't tend to last. Blame alcohol, boredom, lack of chemisty, sexual problems, emotional issues, jealousy.

A lot of couples stay together even though one or both partners is unhappy. Maybe celebs realise they don't need to be stuck in that rut and get out there dating as soon as possible.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    probably due to all the media intrusion that celebs endure every dayy boo hoo :p
  • Options
    HazelKeelanHazelKeelan Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is less than all relationships, of which 81.753 per cent do not last.
  • Options
    Justin HartleyJustin Hartley Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Hi

Pressure from the media! Some celebrities can't handle the media very well, gossip etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Pressure from the media! Some celebrities can't handle the media very well, gossip etc.

Hello and welcome. :) To expand a bit...

1. If someone suddenly becomes extremely famous, it tends to break up their existing relationship. Loads and loads of stars turn out to have a first wife/ husband who is significantly less young and attractive than the second one. I think of it as the Paul Hogan phenomenon, after the Australian film star: up until Crocodile Dundee he was a local tv star with a long-standing wife and five children; suddenly she had gone and he had a new, young and beautiful wife. Why? Because he could. Sad but that seems to be the way the world works: someone finds that their market value has increased hugely, and the missus at home (I think it is truer of men) suddenly looks much more ordinary than the offers they are getting now.

2. If someone is away on tour/ filming a lot. This one is obvious. Music tours/ film sets are feverish hotbeds of hormonal emotion, with almost everyone separated from their partners and subject to alternate periods of frenetic emotion and boredom. There is an old saying among actors that 'film set romances don't count'. Only often they do.

3. If both partners have media careers: it is worse still. They are both bombarded with temptation while they are otherwise lonely and bored.

There is also the fact that a lot of celebs are rather insecure and needy people, which is what gave them the drive to become famous in the first place. Hence the celeb habit of doing everything at ludicrous speed, from first date to tattooing the name on their skin (hello Mel B) in about two minutes.

There is a reason why, say, U2 (three members of) have such a reputation for longevity: the wives and children tour with the band. Ditto Paul 'n' Linda, surely one of the happiest celeb marriages ever. And Elt 'n' David, ditto. Where you see Elton, there is David, ever smiling and supportive, standing right next to him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently 75.454% of all statistics are made up.
  • Options
    Janette800Janette800 Posts: 13,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they all live in a dream world
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trouble is nobody (including celebs) wants to work at their marriages/relationships any more.

To make relationships work takes time and trouble. Nowadays it seems the first signs of a problem they all head for the divorce courts, citing irreparable breakdown, when all that may have happened is they had an argument the previous day.
  • Options
    SharanskiSharanski Posts: 509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just started an antidote thread:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1506864

all about LONG term showbiz marriages that *have* worked.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most relationships don't last. And I guess that if you are a celebrity, that adds another level of complication.
  • Options
    monkey brainsmonkey brains Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    That is less than all relationships, of which 81.753 per cent do not last.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »

It's normal, actually. It's only noticeable because their relationships are in the spotlight. Are all your friends, colleagues and relatives in relationships longer than ten years?

I heard a profession that produces the highest rate of divorce in the world is bartending. :D Soldiers and police officers aren't far behind, apparently.