Options

Humax Foxsat Hdr

paul15paul15 Posts: 192
Forum Member
Hi guys, I need some advice, on my Humax Freesat box. For some reason, it is taking 4 minutes + for my unit to "receive programme information". Which is a pain when you go onto the EMG to record something. Is there any way to speed this up?

Regards
Paul.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Yes, press schedule, and then the red button. Much quicker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers for that. I have just done a google search, and it seems I'm not the only person having this problem!!!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,644
    Forum Member
    But 4+ minutes is way over the typical 40 seconds or so most users are seeing. Just a thought, what channel are you tuned to at the time? Try a BBC channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all channels. It was about 40 seconds, only started playing up tonight.
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul15 wrote: »
    It's all channels. It was about 40 seconds, only started playing up tonight.

There are other reports about of similar, somethings afoot :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now the Mrs has finished with EAST BLOODY ENDERS (don't get me started on that!!!) I have tried schedule and the red button. Much better, cheers.

Regards

Paul.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just tried it and four minutes on the nose. It was alright earlier this evening so I suspect summats up with the broadcast stream.
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something indeed Graham as Janet is livid..
    'Deal or No Deal' did not record from Series and 'Dinner Date' only recorded 15 mins of one hour show..agian Series..
    Just the day when Janet had missed both..
    Based on Random Activity Sampling .. which i was something of an expert on when i was a WSP way back.. i must agree with her that it regularly fails:o..
    She has not watched any of 6 per day recordings for several weeks... then this happens..She speaks highly of the Panny TV...and Sky has no equal..her 4 Sky Remotes make the cabling to the loft sizzle at times and yet her small pleasures cannot be satisfied by a modern Humax she now tells people..
  • Options
    stanandjanstanandjan Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tested mine well over ONE minute for message to vanish..If it stays like this then even you graham will have to admit that the guide button is in a fault condition.. the more so as you of all people say the updating per se has no relevance to the accuracy.. and it certainly did not help todays programmes..One assumes that post update that Humax actually pay their staff to watch and look out for such failures..but perhaps they are then too scared to tell anyone above:D and log it as a New Feature..
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I set up a timer earlier this evening and waited at least 3 min, i just set another less than a hour later and again had to wait at least 3 min.
    This box seems to be getting slower getting the data something that didn't happen till the update :mad:
  • Options
    richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tried mine and mines OK - receiving information was up for the usual 30-40 seconds.

I don't think its anything to do with the new firmware - many of us on the forums have been running V15 firmware since it was released as Beta (last December) and not noticed any (new) issues.

However, I will admit that the past few weeks there has been an influx of problems with the guide and programs not recording (which as far as I can see only appear to affect Humax). I can't help thinking it maybe related to some minor changes that Freesat may have made to the EPG data (or Freesat transponder) that is randomly affecting Humax boxes (i.e. that night a few weeks ago were everyones Humax boxes did not record the next day unless brought manually out of standby - perhaps that was the start of changes being implemented).
  • Options
    alan.walan.w Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the box wait 3 or 4 min mins before giving up trying to update the guide if theres a problem getting data as its taking silly length of time tonight
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    paul15 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I need some advice, on my Humax Freesat box. For some reason, it is taking 4 minutes + for my unit to "receive programme information". Which is a pain when you go onto the EMG to record something. Is there any way to speed this up?

Regards
    Paul.

Me too........

I went through the re-tune process (previously worked to resolve this problem) e.g Initiate Freesat tune but don't save results. Didn't work this time. Then did a full factory reset. Didn't work. Just checked again five minutes ago, all now seems back to normal. Must have been a transmission data stream issue within the network that has now been resolved at Freesat end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Checked mine this morning, usual 40 seconds. As above looks like a freesat problem.

Interesting to note anyone using Schedule/Red rather than guide would not have been aware of the problem at all.
  • Options
    2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a Freesat "problem" - it's quite common for the full EPG data carousel on DVB-S systems to take up to 5 minutes to repeat. Humax are just taking "advantage" of Freesat's current choice to use a large chunk of a transponder to blast the data down in 40 seconds (usually).

I said in another thread that I didn't think it had always been that quick, and lo and behold, it slows down dramatically one night! Not my fault ;) Maybe Freesat were testing something. I bet you could fit a TV channel in the space saved by reducing the EPG carousel data rate. Or some clever interactive stuff.

Cheers,
    David.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    It's not a Freesat "problem" - it's quite common for the full EPG data carousel on DVB-S systems to take up to 5 minutes to repeat. Humax are just taking "advantage" of Freesat's current choice to use a large chunk of a transponder to blast the data down in 40 seconds (usually).

I said in another thread that I didn't think it had always been that quick, and lo and behold, it slows down dramatically one night! Not my fault ;) Maybe Freesat were testing something. I bet you could fit a TV channel in the space saved by reducing the EPG carousel data rate. Or some clever interactive stuff.

Cheers,
    David.

It's not a carousel, it's a dedicated data channel transmitted from Eurobird 1 (11427 H) on request on a dedicated transponder, which is why you can't watch live TV while accessing it No tuner 1 available you get the cached copy.

There is a epg carousel transmitted along with the broadcast data (similar to Freeview) this updates the cached epg in the background. Basically this post is pure rubbish attempting to blame Humax from pure ignorance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Basically this post is pure rubbish attempting to blame Humax from pure ignorance.

Speaking as someone without any technical insight, all I (and probably many other Foxsat owners) want is the same functionality before the update that made the EPG work very slowly and removed the program reminder function.

As I've said in other posts on the same topic, I don't want work arounds, I want it to work.

I want an EPG that lets me set recording without waiting for 40 seconds or whatever and I want to be able to set reminders. Neither do I want to see subtitles following a live pause of BBC HD,

So if ignorance is expecting the box not to loose functionality on a so called FW upgrade then I am pig ignorant and proud.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as someone without any technical insight, all I (and probably many other Foxsat owners) want is the same functionality before the update that made the EPG work very slowly and removed the program reminder function.

As I've said in other posts on the same topic, I don't work arounds, I want it to work.

I want an EPG that lets me set recording without waiting for 40 seconds or whatever and I want to be able to set reminders. Neither do I want to see subtitles following a live pause of BBC HD,

So if ignorance is expecting the box not to loose functionality on a so called FW upgrade then I am pig ignorant and proud.

A permanent fix for the subtitles is dead easy and takes seconds.

Other makes were also affected by last nights problems at Freesat not just Humax, the rant about Humax was completely wrong. Try reading the Samsung thread in this very forum.

If posters don't understand the technology they should refrain from comments that infer that they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a epg carousel transmitted along with the broadcast data (similar to Freeview) this updates the cached epg in the background.
    My theory is that the main EPG stream failed completely for a while and it fell back on the carousel feed from the currently channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I've said in other posts on the same topic, I don't want work arounds, I want it to work.
    Continual bleating (or should that be oinking?) on about it on here is not going to make that happen. All it does is pee off people who are trying to be helpful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    My theory is that the main EPG stream failed completely for a while and it fell back on the carousel feed from the currently channel.

That would explain the slightly differing postings from those affected and also why those savvy enough to use the cached epg version were not affected in any way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A permanent fix for the subtitles is dead easy and takes seconds.

If the subtitle fix is easy and permanent the Humax CS guy didn't feel the need to enlighten me, I'll go search for it, thanks.

However, the two major bugs still stand:

1 - waiting 40 seconds for the EPG to update to be able to set a recording when it was previously zero seconds - Humax's problem.

2 - the loss of program reminder - also Humax's problem.

Seems to me nobody on Humax's end bothered to do any regression testing before the released the updated FW.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You seem to be the only one with this problem. Does it happen if you go the Schedule then Red route to the cached EPG then press OK on a programme entry?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeh, must be a fault with my box then.

I'll try the various resets/retunes and see if it clears.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the subtitle fix is easy and permanent the Humax CS guy didn't feel the need to enlighten me, I'll go search for it, thanks.

However, the two major bugs still stand:

1 - waiting 40 seconds for the EPG to update to be able to set a recording when it was previously zero seconds - Humax's problem.

Seems to me nobody on Humax's end bothered to do any regression testing before the released the updated FW.

I and others used the beta firmware without issue for weeks before it became an official release. My box offers Record Whole Series, Record Single Programme and Watch from the epg. And record or watch from a manual recording reservation same as it always did. So what precisely are you missing ?