Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

How long does first class mail take these days?

Old 22-07-2011, 22:42
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

I'm waiting urgently on a repeat prescription from my doctors. I posted it with an SAE enclosed on Monday morning assuming it would be at the surgery on Tuesday morning and then I'd get my prescription either Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Today it didn't come and I'm starting to panic because I only have one days medication left, so I rang the surgery and they assured me that they had received it and sent it back to me on Wednesday. So obviously it should have arrived yesterday? That's unless the surgery posted it after the 5pm collection, which meant it was collected yesterday and I'd have received it today. But I'm still waiting

Why the hell is it taking so long? Is there some kind of problem with the Royal Mail?
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 22-07-2011, 22:43
lottielaneuve
Forum Member

That's weird... it's usually next day here. Maybe there was a particularly high volume of mail or something, though, so with any luck it'll arrive tomorrow!
lottielaneuve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:45
urbanhermit
Forum Member

I have posted letters on a Wednesday and they haven't arrived till Saturday, so hopefully you will be ok.
urbanhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:51
Lyricalis
Forum Member

Aren't these things done electronically now? If not they bloody well should be.
Lyricalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2011, 22:53
Vodka_Drinka
Forum Member

That's weird... it's usually next day here. Maybe there was a particularly high volume of mail or something, though, so with any luck it'll arrive tomorrow!
I really hope so. To be fair the Royal Mail have never lost anything of mine before, but the dimwits they employ as relief staff do have a habit of posting our mail through our neighbours doors. Our neighbours would have posted it through our letter box if they'd had it though.
Vodka_Drinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 00:04
jra
Forum Member

Aren't these things done electronically now? If not they bloody well should be.
Most mail is sorted electronically. Some has to be sorted by hand for various reasons. Much that people like to slag off the RM, they are still one of the most efficient and quick postal services in the world.

I'm waiting urgently on a repeat prescription from my doctors. I posted it with an SAE enclosed on Monday morning assuming it would be at the surgery on Tuesday morning and then I'd get my prescription either Wednesday or Thursday at the latest.

Today it didn't come and I'm starting to panic because I only have one days medication left, so I rang the surgery and they assured me that they had received it and sent it back to me on Wednesday. So obviously it should have arrived yesterday? That's unless the surgery posted it after the 5pm collection, which meant it was collected yesterday and I'd have received it today. But I'm still waiting

Why the hell is it taking so long? Is there some kind of problem with the Royal Mail?
First class mail may take two days for delivery, but rarely more except at busy times e.g. Christmas.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 00:18
Lyricalis
Forum Member

Most mail is sorted electronically. Some has to be sorted by hand for various reasons. Much that people like to slag off the RM, they are still one of the most efficient and quick postal services in the world.
No, I meant like this:

http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Hea...ptions-online/

My mum uses a service like this.
Lyricalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 00:40
jra
Forum Member

No, I meant like this:

http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Hea...ptions-online/

My mum uses a service like this.
Ah sorry. No worries.
Old 23-07-2011, 10:21
stud u like
Forum Member

I've had a letter that took from February 18th to sometime in May to get here. I had already cancelled it and got another one in that time.
stud u like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:54
albertd
Forum Member

I posted a package to an address in the depths of the Breton countryside on Tuesday this week and it arrived on Thursday!
albertd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 12:57
AJXX
Forum Member

With Royal Fail, I usually expect it to take 3 days. 2nd class is about 8 days now. Don't even get me started on 'standard parcels' - I think they bring out the horse and cart for those...

In my recent experiences anyway.
AJXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 14:37
granted08
Forum Member

If on a weekday, a couple of days if a weekend then maybe three days at the most.
granted08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:24
Speccy128k
Inactive Member

I actually can't remember the last time I posted a letter. All my paperwork I tend to do via e-mail. But as some posters have said, it should take about 24 hours.

I guess it depends on when the collection is made from the postbox.
Speccy128k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 16:59
SherbetLemon
Forum Member

With Royal Fail, I usually expect it to take 3 days. 2nd class is about 8 days now.
How low your expectations are! I've twice received second class post in 3 days recently. First class is almost always the next day, but by 2 days tops.
SherbetLemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2011, 20:15
jra
Forum Member

I've had a letter that took from February 18th to sometime in May to get here. I had already cancelled it and got another one in that time.
Unfortunately with the best intentions some mail does get severely delayed or even lost, not to mention undeliverable mail, i.e. has insufficient information to deliver. Also, unfortunately, a few posties have been caught intercepting mail, e.g. credit cards.

By and large however, IMO, they do a very good job.

With Royal Fail, I usually expect it to take 3 days. 2nd class is about 8 days now. Don't even get me started on 'standard parcels' - I think they bring out the horse and cart for those...

In my recent experiences anyway.
If you think that is bad, I've had surface mail take 4 weeks to be delivered from the states.
Old 23-07-2011, 20:32
SeasideLady
Forum Member

I always allow 2 days for a birthday card to arrive. I wouldn't expect a card posted from up here to get down to the South coast the next day, even if I put it in the postbox before 10.00am.
SeasideLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 01:54
Tiggergirl
Forum Member

I sent stuff first class recently took just over a week to get there its a total joke these days.
Tiggergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 01:59
Salv*
Forum Member

Well I was in Majorca and sent my parents a postcard and sent it off with a first class stamp on the 11th July, it bloody arrived yesterday and I have been back in the country for almost 2 weeks!! Stupid mail.
Salv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 03:13
SoapyJo
Forum Member

My Aunt and Uncle both posted their birthday cards to me at the extact same time, using 1st class....
My Uncle's card got here on Friday, my Aunt's card got here on Monday!
SoapyJo is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 03:48
Radiomaniac
Forum Member

Some birthday cards arrived for my nephew late on Saturday afternoon, that were posted 5 days before and all with first class stamps on.

Someone who knows these things, said that Royal Mail don't treat (obvious) birthday cards as urgent - I suggested next time putting them in business type envelopes.
Radiomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 08:01
The Moth
Forum Member

Some birthday cards arrived for my nephew late on Saturday afternoon, that were posted 5 days before and all with first class stamps on.

Someone who knows these things, said that Royal Mail don't treat (obvious) birthday cards as urgent - I suggested next time putting them in business type envelopes.
Yes, they employ people to sort through all the mail and purposely delay anything that looks like a birthday card. More likely it doesn't have a postcode or a handwritten one that cannot be machine read and has to be sorted by hand.
The Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:46
Radiomaniac
Forum Member

Yes, they employ people to sort through all the mail and purposely delay anything that looks like a birthday card. More likely it doesn't have a postcode or a handwritten one that cannot be machine read and has to be sorted by hand.
I wasn't suggesting that Royal Mail employ people to manually sort out birthday cards, maybe they have some device that sorts them via size or weight.

All the cards I mentioned were correctly and clearly addressed, post-coded and with first class stamps, some posted as near as from the next county - they still took five days to arrive.
Radiomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:00
valkay
Forum Member

I have twice this year posted mail by recorded delivery which has never arrived, after complaints to the Post Office, they sent me a book of stamps as compensation.
valkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:09
The Moth
Forum Member

I wasn't suggesting that Royal Mail employ people to manually sort out birthday cards, maybe they have some device that sorts them via size or weight.

All the cards I mentioned were correctly and clearly addressed, post-coded and with first class stamps, some posted as near as from the next county - they still took five days to arrive.
Yes I realise I was being slightly facetious. It's quite possible that the handwritten postcode was not "machine readable" and had to be hand sorted. Still no excuse for them taking 5 days to be delivered.
The Moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 19:20
diablo
Forum Member

I nearly always get things the following day. It probably depends on the quality of staff available in each area.
diablo is offline   Reply With Quote