Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

What equipment do I need to receive German RTL in the UK?

Old 29-07-2011, 21:04
bryhhh
Forum Member

After today's devastating news about F1 coverage in the UK, I'm looking at viable alternatives to obtaining an FTA feed of next season's F1.

Looking on the wiki page for F1 broadcasting rights, I notice RTL (currently) have a HD FTA feed.

Is is possible to receive RTL in the UK, and if so, what size dish and receiver should I be looking for?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I currently have Freesat HD (not the sky offering)

Last edited by bryhhh : 29-07-2011 at 21:09. Reason: Further info
bryhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 29-07-2011, 21:20
jasonjimbob
Forum Member

If you can get one, the old round 60cm dish with universal LNB pointing to Astra 1 series at 19.2degrees east. If not try getting a Zone 2 Sky dish which should come with the Universal LNB, The Zone 1 should work but you might get picture break up in bad weather.
Depending on your make of Freesat HD Box you own, The Humax Foxsat HD has the option of non freesat mode which should allow you to, tune in to RTL's SD channel on Astra 1 and that is FTA. RTL's HD channel is encrypted I think. If you do not own the Humax, you can get a stand alone FTA receiver which is available at various prices from all good satellite retailers.
jasonjimbob is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 21:31
bryhhh
Forum Member

Many thanks.

I do have the Humax HDR with a standard minidish.

My thoughts after your answer is to buy another larger minidish, and a Humax HD.

I'll probably seek a local installer to do it for me, as the cost will still be cheaper than paying for sky. I know I might not get hd or English audio, but I can mute the sound and listen to the 5 live radio feed.

Thanks again.
bryhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 22:03
Analoguesat
Forum Member

RTL HD is encrypted in "HD+". The German commercial HD channels are trying to moniterise their HD content (sounds familiar....)

Basically its a pay HD service. The SD feed is free in digitral and analogue (analogue until 30/4/12)
Analoguesat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 12:14
Adam792
Forum Member

You won't need a Zone 2. If a Zone 1 works for you for Freesat then it will work for the Astra 1 satellites carrying the German channels; those satellites are just as strong - so you'll be able to use just another Zone 1.
Adam792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:02
rob the satman
Forum Member

TF! HD at 9 east shows the races, but no practice and no quali
rob the satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:23
remlap
Forum Member

TF! HD at 9 east shows the races, but no practice and no quali
TF1 is only SD on 9e.
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 00:56
deejay
Forum Member

My thoughts after your answer is to buy another larger minidish, and a Humax HD.
You do not need to buy another dish. I have a zone 1 dish aimed at 28 E, with a twin Inverto LNB for 19.2 E cable tied to the right side of the existing Zinwell quad LNB as you look from the front of the dish. The feeds from the LNBs go to 2 diseqc switches feeding a Foxsat HD and a Foxsat HDR. In non freesat mode, changing from an Astra 2 to an Astra 1 channel is as easy as normal channel changing.

The signal strength and quality for Astra 1 are as good as Astra 2. I was very surprised that I had to mount the additional LNB so close to the original.
deejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 05:45
Schnuffi
Forum Member

You do not need to buy another dish. I have a zone 1 dish aimed at 28 E, with a twin Inverto LNB for 19.2 E cable tied to the right side of the existing Zinwell quad LNB as you look from the front of the dish. The feeds from the LNBs go to 2 diseqc switches feeding a Foxsat HD and a Foxsat HDR. In non freesat mode, changing from an Astra 2 to an Astra 1 channel is as easy as normal channel changing.

The signal strength and quality for Astra 1 are as good as Astra 2. I was very surprised that I had to mount the additional LNB so close to the original.
You had to tie it so close because your dish is very small.
It is roughly 10 the larger the dish the longer the arm so on a very large the lnbs dont touch at all.
Schnuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 12:17
davemurgatroyd
Forum Member

English commentary should be available on all races via Radio 5 Live and the last time I tried it was almost in synch with the RTL broadcasts.

Note for those wanting RTL in HD - you only need a HD+ receiver from Germany which comes complete with the required card (which I believe lasts at least a year) from around 130 Euros see here for product range - http://www.hd-plus.de/#/wie-empfange...produkt-finder.

Note also that the HD+ card also gives the following HD channels
Comedy Central HD
kabel eins HD
N24 HD
Nickelodeon HD
ProSieben HD
RTL Television HD
RTL 2 HD
Sat.1 HD
sixx HD
SPORT1 HD
Vox HD
davemurgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 12:58
kev
Forum Member

TF1 is only SD on 9e.
Does TF1 carry adverts during the race? If not that might be a better option for me (from 5W) as it looks like trees are right in the way of Astra 1 - although Hotbird should be clear (going to need to mount at ground level unfortunately) - but apparently RTL Switzerland carried on Hotbird can be encrypted. 5W is just in line with the rear of houses though, if Dish pointer is accurate should just be clear enough.
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 13:48
Adam792
Forum Member

Does TF1 carry adverts during the race? If not that might be a better option for me (from 5W) as it looks like trees are right in the way of Astra 1 - although Hotbird should be clear (going to need to mount at ground level unfortunately) - but apparently RTL Switzerland carried on Hotbird can be encrypted. 5W is just in line with the rear of houses though, if Dish pointer is accurate should just be clear enough.
You'll want 9E for TF1. (Plus a DVB-S2 capable receiver). The analogue version on 5W will close down at the end of November this year.

As for adverts during the race, I'm not sure. In general the French commercial channels tend to take longer, less frequent breaks anyway.
Adam792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 14:15
kev
Forum Member

You'll want 9E for TF1. (Plus a DVB-S2 capable receiver). The analogue version on 5W will close down at the end of November this year.

As for adverts during the race, I'm not sure. In general the French commercial channels tend to take longer, less frequent breaks anyway.
Damn, thought I'd filtered the analogue channels out when looking at the list!

Hmm, 9E for TF1 + 13E for RTL Schweiz and skipping the ads - now to find a cheap DVB-S2 with SCART output on all channels.
Old 31-07-2011, 16:11
the_viasat_guy
Forum Member

RTL CH is now FTA and will remain FTA for soldiers in Afganistan
the_viasat_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 00:37
Winston_1
Forum Member

Damn, thought I'd filtered the analogue channels out when looking at the list!

Hmm, 9E for TF1 + 13E for RTL Schweiz and skipping the ads - now to find a cheap DVB-S2 with SCART output on all channels.
Getting TF 1 digital from 5W is quite easy. Day trip to Calais and buy a Fransat receiver in LeRoy Merlin. Comes with a card.
Winston_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45
kev
Forum Member

Getting TF 1 digital from 5W is quite easy. Day trip to Calais and buy a Fransat receiver in LeRoy Merlin. Comes with a card.
65 and 4 hours each way to get to a supermarket just to buy a receiver, hmm - might give that a miss!
Old 01-08-2011, 17:05
borisd0
Forum Member

I'm confused, not difficult.

When the dust has settled in this thread can someone summarise where F1 will be available next season FTA and what orbital position?
Thanks.
borisd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 17:16
davemurgatroyd
Forum Member

I'm confused, not difficult.

When the dust has settled in this thread can someone summarise where F1 will be available next season FTA and what orbital position?
Thanks.
Completely FTA on RTL on 19.2 E and on RTL CH on 13 E.and on TF1 Suisse on 9E.
davemurgatroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 17:23
Fred Smith
Forum Member

And don't forget the DAB radio, Freeview receiver or another satellite receiver, if you want English commentary.
Fred Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:28
MartinImber
Forum Member

So I need 28.2E 19.2E and 9E

May be able to squish them tight on my 65cm dish
MartinImber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20
bigbuzzard
Forum Member

Completely FTA on RTL on 19.2 E and on RTL CH on 13 E.and on TF1 Suisse on 9E.
Fingers crossed the adverts won't be on at the same time. I got into satellites a few years back when ITV showed F1 to skip the ads but occasionally the ads were on at the same time on RTL and ITV.

Still looking for a channel that shows the F1 in HD with no adverts, but not having much luck. Will have a research of Polsat and see if it has adverts.
bigbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 13:12
MicroSmurf
Forum Member

Currently I have a Foxsat HDR on a standard mini-dish with quad LNB. I will be adding an 80cm dish with single LNB for 19.2E and adding a diseqc switch on input 1 of the Foxsat.

Now, from what I understand is that will let me switch to either 19E or 28E in non-freesat mode and that is what I am after, but I have just found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT which has a single output monoblock LNB for 19.2E and 13E which is more appealing to me.

What I would like to know is if this is workable in the configuration I am considering above, ie, will the single output monoblock which I assume has its own diseqc switch built-in work with another diseqc switch so I can share with my 28E dish? Hope that made sense.

I would prefer this option rather than mounting 2 LNB's and running either a second cable or replacing it with shotgun cable and having multiple switches etc, my idea is to keep it simple and as cheap as possible.
MicroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 15:51
richardp
Forum Member

I've been considering my options and like yourself, I'm leaning towards getting a foxsat-hdr and feeding the different satellite feeds into lnb1 on the foxsat to maintain the dual recording. It looks like 28.2E, 19.2E, 13E and 9E fed into a four way diseqc switch is the way to go.
AFAIK, you can't can't stack diseqc switches, I can see some twin 6 degree monoblocks on systemsat, but I don't know if they feed out the satellites separately or not.
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 18:17
borisd0
Forum Member

Question from a novice.

Is 9E deg to 28.2E deg possible and satisfactory on a 80cm dish and LNB bracket?
borisd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 18:26
richardp
Forum Member

Hmmm, these look interesting http://www.sateuropa.co.uk/product_o...id=10&subcat=8 because the cam and card cost 99, and this box includes it, it means the box only effectively costs 39!

I don't want to pay anything really, but 139 and the 50 a year after the first year is up doesn't seem too bad for f1 in hd. Decisions
richardp is offline   Reply With Quote