Options

13 Reasons why Rock is the best music...

SummerShudderSummerShudder Posts: 1,170
Forum Member
✭✭✭
1. Rock bands don't shout their name at the intro of their songs which is the current egotistical trend for pop acts who didn't even write the song they're stamping their name all over lol.

2. Rock bands don't jump around flashing designer labels and thick gold chains while having a bunch of mixed race girls girate upon them like they are some kind of gods purely because they've been chosen to perform on a song some overweight 40 year old music producer wrote for them.

3. Rock bands don't collaborate with about 5 different trendy flavour of the month artists on each song each providing the valuable contribution of reciting about 2 lines. In most cases collaborating does not involve actually writing anything ;)

4. While "superstars" like Cher Lloyd and JLS are selling 50,000 copies to get to #1 in the singles chart, "unknown nobody" rock bands like Metallica, Disturbed and Tool are selling millions of albums and selling out arenas all over the world.

5. Rock bands write their songs. They start up and make it on their own. All this is done without the help of Max Martin, RedOne, Ryan Tedder, Diane Warren or whoever else wrote your favourite pop song.

6. Rock is 4 guys in a room creating music with instruments. It is a craft and it takes talent which is why only rock bands can make rock music whereas the easy to make RnB comes off the conveyor belt at the ready made hits factory.

7. Rock bands don't plast their mugs on the cover of their albums. They have art work on it.

8. Rock bands' music is famous, not them. They can walk down the street without being noticed but their music is all over films and tv shows because they are chosen to soundtrack emotional and intense scenes.

9. Rock bands let the music do the talking, not their outfits.

10. Rock bands are intelligent and articulate and able to talk about topics other than bitches, ho's and designer sunglasses.

11. Rock bands don't need to appear on X Factor, tell a sob story to Cheryl Cole, pass an assessment conducted by musical genius Danni Minogue and try to sell themselves to Simon "I know F**k all about music" Cowell.

12. Rock music has emotion, artistic integrity and an organic production that is focused upon letting the music resonate.

13. Rock bands make albums where each track flows from one to the other with fluency and is pieced together to be a journey from start to finish. Not 10 random tracks thrown together by a million different producers and songwriters.

By the way I'm talking about alternative rock bands like Jimmy Eat World, Rise Against, Death Cab for Cutie, Brand New, incase any of you wanna let me know that Nickelback posed topless on one of their album covers or that Bon Jovi collaborated with Max Martin.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    ugglauggla Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No reason needed its just better lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One important reason it isn't. I don't like the songs off most of them.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You seem to have a very limited view of music. There's a lot of music that's not rock, but isn't manufactured pop either. I love rock, but I like other forms of music as well.
    As you said, there can be commerical crappy rock music too like Nickelback so it's not true that all rock music is inherently good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    That was a list of why you think rock music is better than Top 40 though, not music in general.
  • Options
    DizagaoxDizagaox Posts: 4,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Criticise pop, dance, R&B, whatever -- at the end of the day, it's rock music that has died as a genre, at least for the time being.

The only rock music that does well is by already-established acts, who have loyal fans and big marketing budgets. These are the guys that sell albums and concert tickets (though hardly any singles).

For the rest of the genre, it's impossible, as nobody really cares for rock music, at least no enough to pay for it.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Well, all the points in the OP are basically bashing other genres, rather than bigging up rock music.

And the silly thing is most of the points you make about rock songs apply to another genre. Most artists in the chart can write their own lyrics, most of them are good singers.

Most of the points you make, infact, also apply to hip hop. So if you like rock music for those reasons, you should also be a fan of hip hop and even a bit of RnB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    The reasons you've listed also apply to lots of other artists in other genres.
    The 14th reason which you've forgotten to mention, is that "YOU personally like it the best".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    These 13 reasons why rock is better than every other genre don't even apply to all rock bands...
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rock music is the best music purely because of reasons 8 & 12 OP.

Forget the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    Criticise pop, dance, R&B, whatever -- at the end of the day, it's rock music that has died as a genre, at least for the time being.

The only rock music that does well is by already-established acts, who have loyal fans and big marketing budgets. These are the guys that sell albums and concert tickets (though hardly any singles).

For the rest of the genre, it's impossible, as nobody really cares for rock music, at least no enough to pay for it.

Rock music isn't dead my friend. Say that to all the rock bands headlining the summer festivals. If rock is dead then what music is alive in your opinion? There are plenty of new rock bands doing well. They said rock was dead in 1997 when it was all dance, then what happened? Nu-metal, emo etc. Rock is always being reinvented in one form or another, it will never die.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    Rock music is the best music purely because of reasons 8 & 12 OP.

Forget the rest.
    I disagree
    8. Rock bands' music is famous, not them. They can walk down the street without being noticed but their music is all over films and tv shows because they are chosen to soundtrack emotional and intense scenes.
    Mick Jagger was a member of one of the most famous and legendary rock bands ever.Do you think that people would ignore him if he was walking down the street???People wouldn't ignore Bono, Bon Jovi or Steven Tyler either.
    12. Rock music has emotion, artistic integrity and an organic production that is focused upon letting the music resonate.
    Rock music is not the only genre that has those elements.Country, soul, the real hip hop, rhythm and blues and the pop ballads all have raw emotion and integrity and (apart from hip hop) their production is organic too.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reason 12 is the only one i agree with..the rest are untrue or are just comparing it to other styles of music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love your 13 reasons. Why 13 though? why not 10 or 15? LOL

1: it is REAL music.
    2: the lyrics can make me laugh and cry
    3: after over 40 years a riff like 'A Whole lot of love' can still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up
    4 - 13: because every other music form is based on rock.

Rap? ****in starts and finishes with Public Enemy
    R&B? is The Rolling Stones, The Who, Aretha Franklin, Sam Cook and not mutated pop shit like 'Black eyed Peas'
    Pop? is everything that is 'popular'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I disagree

Mick Jagger was a member of one of the most famous and legendary rock bands ever.Do you think that people would ignore him if he was walking down the street???People wouldn't ignore Bono, Bon Jovi or Steven Tyler either.

Rock music is not the only genre that has those elements.Country, soul, the real hip hop, rhythm and blues and the pop ballads all have raw emotion and integrity and (apart from hip hop) their production is organic too.

I mean Alternative rock. I can't stand any of those rock superstars you mentioned, they are more famous for their hair do's than music. Bono is a self righteous numpty. Jagger needs to retire. Tyler is a skin tight pant wearing cock rocker lol.

I agree with your second point but rock music is consistently that way. I don't know many plastic rock bands who sound and look plastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    I disagree

Check out The Roots, Cypress hill, Everlast to name but three they are all hip hop bands that use live instruments.

And 'the heavy rhyme experiance' album by the Brand New Heavies and 'Blakroc' by the Black Keys

CunninLynguists - Looking Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5HY06FfJ0
    The roots - Doin it again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HoWBnJKf4o
    BlakRoc: Ain't Nothing Like You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtWNDI_EOI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe O.Michael said that 'Hip Hop' has no musical integrity. I disagree. Public Enemy, NWA, Cypress Hill will also argue with that comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Check out The Roots, Cypress hill, Everlast to name but three they are all hip hop bands that use live instruments.

And 'the heavy rhyme experiance' album by the Brand New Heavies and 'Blakroc' by the Black Keys

CunninLynguists - Looking Back
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5HY06FfJ0
    The roots - Doin it again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HoWBnJKf4o
    BlakRoc: Ain't Nothing Like You
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtWNDI_EOI

Blanton are awesome. The Black Keys are awesome :)
  • Options
    MrBingMrBing Posts: 2,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is by far the most ignorant, pretentious, ill-informed, discriminatory post I've seen yet on the DS music forums - coming from a rock fan. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Blakroc' bad typing :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    Blanton are awesome. The Black Keys are awesome :)

I looooooove the black keys..they are my fave rock band around at the mo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrBing wrote: »
    This is by far the most ignorant, pretentious, ill-informed, discriminatory post I've seen yet on the DS music forums - coming from a rock fan. :rolleyes:

I can understand the backlash because there have been a ton of posts asking 'is rock music dead?', Foo fighters overrated?' and so on. this site is very geared towards disposable music and disposable lifestyle. So people get pissed off.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They have Flying V guitars.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J6ngo1977 wrote: »
    I believe O.Michael said that 'Hip Hop' has no musical integrity. I disagree. Public Enemy, NWA, Cypress Hill will also argue with that comment.

You are wrong.I said that most of hip-hop TODAY does not have an organic production.Underground hip-hop is still pretty organic but the OP was pretty much bashing the hip hop on the charts.I mentioned hip hop as an example of raw emotion in the lyrics AND musical integrity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I mean Alternative rock. I can't stand any of those rock superstars you mentioned, they are more famous for their hair do's than music. Bono is a self righteous numpty. Jagger needs to retire. Tyler is a skin tight pant wearing cock rocker lol.

Then you should have clarified it in your initial text and in the title of the thread :cool: You only said that you were talking about alternative rock AFTER you had listed all those reasons
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Rock bands don't shout their name at the intro of their songs which is the current egotistical trend for pop acts who didn't even write the song they're stamping their name all over lol.

2. Rock bands don't jump around flashing designer labels and thick gold chains while having a bunch of mixed race girls girate upon them like they are some kind of gods purely because they've been chosen to perform on a song some overweight 40 year old music producer wrote for them.

3. Rock bands don't collaborate with about 5 different trendy flavour of the month artists on each song each providing the valuable contribution of reciting about 2 lines. In most cases collaborating does not involve actually writing anything ;)

4. While "superstars" like Cher Lloyd and JLS are selling 50,000 copies to get to #1 in the singles chart, "unknown nobody" rock bands like Metallica, Disturbed and Tool are selling millions of albums and selling out arenas all over the world.

5. Rock bands write their songs. They start up and make it on their own. All this is done without the help of Max Martin, RedOne, Ryan Tedder, Diane Warren or whoever else wrote your favourite pop song.

6. Rock is 4 guys in a room creating music with instruments. It is a craft and it takes talent which is why only rock bands can make rock music whereas the easy to make RnB comes off the conveyor belt at the ready made hits factory.

7. Rock bands don't plast their mugs on the cover of their albums. They have art work on it.

9. Rock bands let the music do the talking, not their outfits.

10. Rock bands are intelligent and articulate and able to talk about topics other than bitches, ho's and designer sunglasses.

11. Rock bands don't need to appear on X Factor, tell a sob story to Cheryl Cole, pass an assessment conducted by musical genius Danni Minogue and try to sell themselves to Simon "I know F**k all about music" Cowell.

13. Rock bands make albums where each track flows from one to the other with fluency and is pieced together to be a journey from start to finish. Not 10 random tracks thrown together by a million different producers and songwriters.

By the way I'm talking about alternative rock bands like Jimmy Eat World, Rise Against, Death Cab for Cutie, Brand New, incase any of you wanna let me know that Nickelback posed topless on one of their album covers or that Bon Jovi collaborated with Max Martin.

Thank you.

I love rock music, but this post makes me sad.

It plays up to all the worst stereotypes of rock fans, ansty borderline juvenile, obnoxious, elitist and self satisfied.

Do rock music a favour, keep the next list to yourself.