Options

Spaintv's Complete Series Watch: The X Files

After staring long and hard at my “Pending” file of Completed Series for viewing, I have finally settled on my next Complete Series Watch project. After having recently caught up with NYPD Blue and Third Watch, I have decided to go for something different, and have finally opted for the complete watch of Cult classic The X Files.

Originally aired in the US between 1993 and 2002, the series made its UK TV debut about a year later in 1994 on Sky One, which is where I first caught the series. I still remember the promos for the series when it made its Sky one premiere back in the day, and having already cracked open the pending file, I was quite amazed at how much detail I could recall from the pilot episode.

With NYPD Blue and Third Watch, I had never followed either show properly during their original airing, only having watched a selection of episodes. With The X Files however, its a different story. During its original airing, I followed the series for the first few years (at the moment I am unsure at what point I stopped watching) but eventually gave up due to lack of time. After having given up I caught the occasional random episode, but I never went back to watch the series in chronological order and dedicating my full attention to it which is how I like to watch my TV shows, especially those with long story arcs which stretch across the entire run. During the original watch, I remember that I even watched many episodes three or four times; being fortunate enough to be able to catch the Sky one airings, the BBC airings some months later, and also the Spanish airings on Tele5, with The X Files being the first US import to reclaim Spanish Primetime after a US import absence of many years across Spanish TV Primetime. As a result there are many episodes that I recall clearly, some even by title!

Anyway, already started watching and am two episodes into the first season. First impressions; the series looks a tad dated, and Scully’s dress and attire, complete with broad shoulder jackets are a give-away. Nonetheless, the quality of the writing and the on screen presence of the two leads detract from the early 90s look. Looking back, and perhaps considering the number of TV shows appertaining to the noughties that I have devoured, the pilot episode is quite weak in itself – a good story to set the series into motion, but quite weak considering the excellent episodes that follow even within the first season.

Watching Mulder and Scully in their first interaction has been highly enjoyable. The two start off as meaning nothing to each other. Already in the pilot there are moments that give us a peek at what is to come; Mulder opens up to Scully and tells him about Samantha and the why to his drive behind wanting to seek the truth, and even rigid Scully has a moment when she lets her guard down when she panics at the thought that she might have the “scars” that the suspected abductees have. It will be quite a treat to watch the two come closer to become what we today consider to be one of the greatest TV pairings of all time.

The pilot interestingly also introduces the character of the Cigarette Smoking Man and Deep Throat comes onto the scene with episode 2. Also interestingly, the opening two episodes of the series are already planting seeds to the overall series arc! Season One also had a number of stand-alone “Monster of the week” stories which I am really looking forward to…but it is interesting to note that it seems the series parted off with the idea of an overall story arc right from the word go – well over a decade before they became “fashionable” again. Even Fringe, which premiered in an age where “Overall series arcs” were all the rage, and inspiring itself on The X Files as repeated often when the series first premiered, didn’t start off with a series arc and instead opted to “test the waters” first.

As with my previous “Complete Series Watch” threads for NYPD Blue and Third Watch, I will come back and post my thoughts on completion of individual seasons. I might come back to comment on specific episodes independent to the Overall season review, where I feel the episode merits it / have time available.

Again, as with my previous threads, I would be grateful if contributors to this thread would mark as spoilers any commentary relating to episodes beyond the point at which I might be. I also realise that Sky Atlantic are rerunning the series, and would be grateful that comments for Sky Atlantic Pace are kept to that specific thread. Other than that, I would be grateful and look forward to your comments and thoughts as I make my way through the nine seasons of The XFiles. Many of you contributed to my previous Complete series watch threads and I look forward to your comments on this one too.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another pointless thread cluttering up our USTV Forum. Should be in cult:p:p:D:D

Only joking. Huge fan of the show, got all the DVDs(R1) boxsets. You are in for a treat. Don't forget the film. First one I mean. How many eps a week are you doing SpainTV? Will you be giving an overall outlook, or doing an ep by ep type post update.

I was going to do a complete rewatch when Atlantis first said they were showing them. But didn't bother when I found out the timing of the broadcasts. Many eps were cut or missed out completely- they made a complete mess of it. I may join you in a rewatch.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ADon't forget the film. First one I mean.

I'm still trying to forget the second film! <shudder> :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Another pointless thread cluttering up our USTV Forum. Should be in cult:p:p:D:D

Only joking. Huge fan of the show, got all the DVDs(R1) boxsets. You are in for a treat. Don't forget the film. First one I mean. How many eps a week are you doing SpainTV? Will you be giving an overall outlook, or doing an ep by ep type post update.

I was going to do a complete rewatch when Atlantis first said they were showing them. But didn't bother when I found out the timing of the broadcasts. Many eps were cut or missed out completely- they made a complete mess of it. I may join you in a rewatch.

At the mo I have all the time in the world...so depending on the mood and depending on my plans for certain days....Ill be watching a fair share of eps a day

Ill probs keep to the same format of the NYPD Blue and Third Watch threads where I will comment at the end of each season, but I am hoping to find some time to post on certain episodes too - time allowing I will comment on episodes which stand out independently from the season review.

Am in no real rush to get through it, so Ill watch what I can and however much I can tolerate a day lol as long as I continue to have the time.

Would be great if you joind me ina rewatch! I too was going to try watching on Sky but am glad I didnt in view that they are messing up the screening with edits due to the time slot, and completely missing out episodes altogether. Also I hate having to adhere to an episode a day, when one day i might feel like watching 8, and the next I might feel like watching none. Much prefer to go at my own place, my mood and time setting the pace :D
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved The X Files, although the quality varied.

I watched it regularly for the first five years, plus saw Movie 1. Saw most of season six, and then somehow managed to not bother watching seven, eight, and nine. I did see Movie 2 though :(

I wish the Conspiracy arc had been handled better. Some great eps, but also some that really show up the whole "made up as they went along" thing, with various plot holes and inconsistencies. There were some awesome Monster of the Week eps too (but also some bad ones!).

I've got the DVD box set. I've been meaning to start on it for a while. Might watch it next, now I've finished my Stargate run-through, although I may try something shorter first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Despite the dated quality to the Pilot episode, unavoidably depicted in the clothes worn, styles, cars and technology, the pilot episode of The X Files does a great job introducing us to the great phenomenom that is The X Files.

In the pilot we meet Agent Dana Scully, a scientist, who has been assigned to the X Files alongside "Spooky Mulder" who is is considered to be a joke by the rest of the FBI. In an early scene, complete with the casual introduction of teh Cigarette Smoking Man in a non-speaking part, Scully is told what the X Files are all about and what her role will be. Cancer Man is seen standing behind Scully and how were we to know the major role he would play in the series!

Despite being a pilot episode and having to go through the tedious motions of setting up the story and characters, the wrietrs deal with all this in a quick and efficient manner, and immediately after we get the first interaction between Mulder and Scully.

The story of the week kicks in quite early, and very fittingly, the pilot transports us to a small rural community where classmates are turning up dead in the forest. The episode excellently introduces us to the world of the X Files and the "creepy" factor that will dominate most episodes thereafter. The whole small town with a dark secret was a perfect way to strat the series.

In retrospect, the story itself, and resolution, might be considered relatively weak by the modern TV viewer who has gorged seasos worth of complex serialised dramas like Lost, but judging the episode within the time period when it was written and shot, the episode is an interesting one that successfully transmits everything it had to about the show itself. Furthermore, it was The X Files with its long stretching serial arc and plot twists that impacted scripted TV drama, and laid the foundations for the likes of Lost which would arrive over ten year later!

Interestingly enough, the pilot episode introduces elements of the series arc, and the different backstories that would run for most of the series' duration. I wonder whether the serialised nature of the show was something that had been planned to happenrivght from the start????

The episode also does a great job at showing us who Mulder and Scully are and already shows signs of the great pairing that they are to become.

Also, I had forgotten that for a show that pretty much "hinted" at stuff for most of the time, we got a clear view of what appeared to be an alien corpse in the casket that broke open at the cemetery - and all this within the show's first hour of life!!!!!

The episode ends with the Cig Man walking the aisles of a storage room at the Pentagon where evidence is locked away to protect the "truth" from being confirmed, hinting at the great conspiracy that was to follow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With a a very dodgy sounding title, the second episode of The X Files continued to plant the seeds of the overall story arc with a story about alien cover-up / Government Conspiracy - the main thrust of the series.

In Deep Throat an air force pilot seemingly has portions of his memory taken away from him. The episode is a nod at Roswell and siilar UFO stories, complete with a Flying Saucer Diner and all! Importantly, and a the title indicates, the episode serves to introduce the very important character that was Deep Throat, a character that would flesh out the "conspiracy" part of the story by aiding Mulder as the series progressed and reinforcing the fact that were active attempts to cover up the truth and also prevent Mulder and Scully from finding out the truth.

Further to this, the whole conspiracy element to the wider story is reinforced through Mulder who is captured and when recovered by Scully, has forgotten everything (the truth) ("Scully, how did I get here?"). Following this we see that the loose ends to the investigation have been cleared whilst Mulder and Scully have been away, with the victim of the story telling them that everything is fine and all evidencehaving been taken by the mysterious suits.

The episode ends with a reappearance by Deep Throat who tells Mulder how he and Sculyl have to be careful, and confirms Mulder's belief that "they have been here a long time".

Very importantly in this episode we see a rapid development of the Mulder - scully relationship, with Scully taking to Mulder despite the fact that they represent conflicting ideals.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The third of The X Files episodes (2nd according to official chronology) is probably one of the ones that I have remembered most from original viewing.

Squeeze introduces the character of Tooms, a serial killer mutant who can literally squueze his entire body to fit through the most unimaginable and impossible of limited spaces. I recall when watching this during the original airing, that the episode really spooked me out. It wasn't that it was Paranormal Activity scary at the time (that movie really freaks me out!), but I remember that the episode did have a creepy feel to it and a mild tinge of horror - considering I was an impressionable 15 year old durig the early 90s (15 year old nowadays are defiitely not as impressionable or innocent :o:D).

On rewatching the episode I was quite surrised at how much detail I actually recalled, which says a lot about the episode. By today's standards, the effects, and Toom's eyes might eb laughable, but judging in terms of when the episode was shot, and recalling the impression at the time, I think the team did a great job with the characterisation of Tooms which without doubt awakened a horror / terror in the viewer - Toom's eyes hiding in the shadows as he observes his victims !

Squeeze was also a different episode in that it was the first proper "Monster of the week" episode, with the story playing no part in the series' mythology.

The episode also shows the fast developing bond between Mulder and Scully as Scully defends Mulder from her academy friends", and chooses to side with Mulder. Mulder himself also shows his developing bond when he rushes to Scully's aid at the end of the episode, and also when he decides to "visit" her whilst she is on overtime with the other FBI team!

I never recalled how quick the writers developed and strengthened the bond between the two characters, but on that note, I had forgotten some of Scully's traits - that whilst she was sceptical and all scientific, she was always respectful towards others, notably Mulder and their opinions.

For me Squeeze is a classic X Files episode - one of those that makes your skin crawl, and unsettles the viewer in a "Twilight Zone" type of way.

The excellent villain that was Tooms was not wasted and he reappears later on int he first season as hinted at the end of this episode.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Heh, I watched the pilot on Hulu just a few weeks ago. Couldn't believe how outdated it seemed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    Heh, I watched the pilot on Hulu just a few weeks ago. Couldn't believe how outdated it seemed.

Clothes, hair, and technology will always be the major giveaways :D I too had to laugh at the computers / software they were using, the sight of the large landline phones at the Motel, and obviously the clothes / styles Mulder and Scully wore :o: Soooo 90s. Also,. the absence of the internet! (Internet was still in its infancy when I went to uni :o) I wonder how much would change if they redid the series to feature more modern tech such as the internet and the influence it would have on the narrative / plots etc.

Then again, despite the outdated visal aspects of the show, the rest has stood the test of time - storytelling techniques, content (plot) etc.

I suppose that rewatching at the pace of various episodes a day, I will soon fast forward into a more "visually acceptable" era of The X Files. I got the same when I watched NYPD Bue recently - mobile phones didn't exist during the first few years the show was on air LOL
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    I wonder how much would change if they redid the series to feature more modern tech such as the internet and the influence it would have on the narrative / plots etc.

They sort of tried with FreakyLinks.

Here's the episode 1 synopsis for comparison:
    Derek, with his friends Jason and Lan, is the producer of freakylinks.com — a website devoted to paranormal events, creatures, and stories. Derek took over the website after his twin brother, Adam, mysteriously committed suicide. One year later, Derek receives a video clip that shows Adam may be alive. With the help of Jason, Lan, and Adam's girlfriend Chloe, Derek sets out to learn the truth about his brother's death.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Conduit is clearly an episode that serves to give us a greater insight into Mulder and who he is, his motivations, concersn etc. The story in Conduit is all about a young boy who is the missing link in the disappearance of his teen sister, and this story clearly serves to highlights Mulder's own backstory and the mysterious disappearance of his sister Samantha 21 years earlier.

Conduit doesn't only serve to give us the viewer a bit of backstory into Mulder; it also performs the important function of giving us a greater insight inot him, and also to disuade any "stubborn" viewer from thinking that Mulder is a nut case. Conduit serves to make Mulder that bit more likeable, and also to increase his credibility with viewer despite his seemingly madcap ideas and theories.

Also very importantly, the episode doesn't only performthe above stated function for the benefit of the viewer alone. Conduit also serves to give Scully a greater understanding of Mulder and contributes to the fast growing bond that is developing between them - already at the start of this episode and prior to the story, we see Scully being protective of Mulder with her boss!

The story in Conduit itself is one that sort of morphs the Poltergeist story about TV signals into an alien abduction / communcation story. The young boy, seems to be receiving messages from beyond - in this case aliens not ghosts, and the information being received reveals complex code structure and messages.

Conduit hints at an alien abduction, reinforced by the fact that the mother of the young boy and missing teen is an abductee herself. Nonehteless one gets the impression that the whole Story of the week is downplayed and does little else but to support an expositon story for Mulder by depicting a similar experience to that lived by Mulder as a boy.

At the end we also see Mulder in church, seemingly praying for his sister, whom unlike the misisng teen, has never returned home. The Church scene I thoght was a powerful one too, showing us a lonely Mulder, sat in solitutude with his thoughts, clealry concerned for his sister, and possibly feeling guilty that he has so far been unable to find her or obtain any new information or leads as to her whereabouts.

Conduit lacks the "X Files" creepiness (especialy in comparison to the previous episode Squeeze), although personally I did find the boy staring at the TV screen and saying "It came from there" quite creepy. Kids with that look on their face and talking about "them" and similar always give em the creeps! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member

The Jersey Devil is the second proper "Monster of the Week" episode after the excellent "Squeeze" in the first season of The X Files. Unfortunately for "The Jersey Devil" the comparison to Squeeze puts it to shame in that this episode has a completely different feel to the former.

Whilst Squeeze, the first Monster of the week episode is a chiller episode with an interesting villain that makes the viewer feel uneasy, Jersey Devil is a very weak episode by comparison. That said, tonally the episode feels different, and one could say that with this episode in particular, writers wanted to inject a bit of "tongue in cheek" into the otherwise heavy / dark series.

If the purpose of Jersey Devil is to provide the first season with a lighter somewhat comical episode, then it achieves this. The Jersey Devil tells the story of a Bigfoot like woman who is running loose in New Jersey and canabalising her victims. Again we have the X Files treatment in the guise of local police trying to cover up the story in order to prevent scaring off the tourists.

Whilst the main story is actually quite laughable and lacks any of the X Files "trademark" traits, Teh Jersey Devil does provide some interesting developments in terms of Scully and her relationship with Mulder.

In the episode we have a rare (? - I cant recall the series focusing too much on personal lives at least in the early episodes) personal story with Scully going out on a date in her attempt to prevent becming fully engrossed in her work like Mulder. But in the end, she chooses Mulder over a potential second date, demonstrating that despite what she told Mulder and her "want for a normal life", she actually finds Mulder and his world more fascinating and more appealing than her need to find love, romance or any semblance of a "normal life". This is also the first epsiode in which we see Scully relaxing slightly. At the end of the episode she shares a Mulderesque joke with Mulder and demonstrated her ability to have some banter with her partner, whom she seems to be fascinated by.

Back to the main story about The Jersey Devil - Most ridiculous moment in the entire episode has to be the child Jersey Devil peeping out of his hole as a father and son walk by ROFL :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »

I agree, if you rewatch it now its so cheesy its almost painful, but full marks to spaintv for breaking the pain barrier to watch it all again, they deserve a medal especially if they are going to continue writing a chapter and verse for each episode. I salute you spaintv ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, if you rewatch it now its so cheesy its almost painful, but full marks to spaintv for breaking the pain barrier to watch it all again, they deserve a medal especially if they are going to continue writing a chapter and verse for each episode. I salute you spaintv ;)

LOL Its not that bad! Wasn't intending to, but as long as I have the time, I think I will try to post a little write up after watching each episode. So far I am really enjoying it too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    LOL Its not that bad! Wasn't intending to, but as long as I have the time, I think I will try to post a little write up after watching each episode. So far I am really enjoying it too!

Yeah good on you for going to the effort to do the write up thats dedication. Good luck rewatching it all, there is a darn lot of episodes to get through. And of course as we all remember there were some fantastic episdoes in the x-files saga.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In Shadows (a monster of the week episode), a young woman is seemingly protected by the ghost of her former boss. Need I say more...:D

Not a fan of this episode. Unlike Squeeze, the episode lacked the "chiller" thing to it. Cheesy 90s effects didn't help, but even in my looking past it I thought the plot for this one was quite weak. Perhaps another setting for the idea behind the episode might have helped it.

Definitely one of the weakest episode so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the previous episode, Shadows was weak, I think I won't even try to rate this episode!

An intelligent computer goes on the kill and Mulder's former partner ends up being one of the victims.

In all fairness, an episode centred on technology and computers will not stand the test of time. At the time that this episode was written, the internet available to all was still in its infancy; there was no Google, no ipads, no iphones - even mobile phones weren't widely available and Mulder and Scully still use pagers / beepers as we saw a few episodes prior to this one.

Ghost In the Machine does however write about what we thought the future would hold in terms of technology back in the early nineties!

Leaving the weak plot aside, Deep Throat made an appearance in this episode, which I found quite surprising. Yes, I suppose they wanted to emphasise that "they" had gained control over advanced technology etc, especially with the confirmation at the end of the episode that the creator of COS had been removed and taken by "them", but watching this episode, I thought that Deep Throat's appearance was simply for "the hell of it". There didn't seem to be a proper reason for his making an appearance, especially in retrospect. Perhaps at this early stage, writers were still trying to figure out the details for the long series arc???

This is one episode that you can easily skip. You won't miss out on any vital info relating to the X Files mythology, and in itself, the episode doesn't even entertain!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ice sees The X Files back in form, with an episode revolving around an alien-in-origin parasite that has infected researchers at an isolated faclity in the Arctic. The parasite which causes hosts to go mental, has wiped out the whole group of geologists, and its up to mulder, scully and a small team of experts to find out what has happened.

The opening pre-credits sequence features one of the last geologist-survivors taping a message. He is bloody, scratched and definitely suffering from something. We then see him wrestle with another of the survivors, and in what seems to be them "not being themselves", they turn on each other, before apparently (off camera) shooting each other.

When the team arrive, the story is predictable in that we know we are going to go through the motions once again, only this time from the strat and also involving the team. naturally, the first to be infected and die is the pilot, the only person who can fly themto safety. Next, despite a good weather forecast of three days, a sudden snow storm ("welcome to the top of the world") makes it impossible for the military or any one else to travel to the facility, let alone install a Quarantine or Medical Control on the place.

Interestingly Mulder is suspected of having been infected and we get a good scene where Mulder and Scully point guns at each other. In a show of the developed relationship between the two, Mulder decides to trust Scully and allows himself to be quarantined whilst Scully single handedly figures it all out. Luckily Scully finds a "cure" and confirming that Mulder is not infected, she releases him in time to apprehend the team member who was truly infected and "cure her" before it is too late.

At the end, we learn that the facility has been wiped out by the military, supposedly to either contain the "parasite" and to eliminate all evidence of other-worldy life.

Good episode, with good horror and even moments of humour, with Mulder making refernce to the state of his manhood in Arctic conditions. And the Scully - Mulder parnership continues to grow with trust now being fostered between the two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Written by carter himself, this is one big disappointing episode. Apparently, according to sources online, this is one fo carter's least favourite episodes and he sort of jokingly says he ahs disowned the episode.

Space tells the story of a vet astronaut who has been "repossessed" of sorts by a "seemingly" ghost-like Martian (in that it is of martian origin) who in turn, is sabotaging the space program to prevent human kind from discovering aliej life or anything related. Similar to the previous episode, Ice, in that an alien life form takes over a human being and excercises full control over his actions, Space fails big time where Ice delievered.

Forgetting the dodgy effects by today's standards, the story is weak, and the idea of a "space ghost" is too ridiculous for my liking, even within the reality created by the X Files.

The story can be considered a criticism / observation of the American Space Program, and how it fell from grace and favour, and how astronauts, one heroes, are now faded figures which only live on in childhood memories.

Space is a very poor episode in my opinion. It contributes nothing to the overall series plot, and we learn nothing new about Mulder and Scully, so this is one that can be skipped with no consequence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fallen Angel is a pretty good episode which is all about an alien crash site and an invisible alien running loose and somehow killing people by nuking them.

Mulder gets to see quite a bit but in the end as is to be expected, he comes away with no hard evidence.

We also meet conspiracy freak Max, who is a fan of Mulder's and has followed his work for a while. I don't recall the character of Max from my original viewing of the series, so I can't recall whether there are further appearances by him, but he does seem to be an "early idea" for the Lone Gunmen who turn up later on in the series run.

This episode also has a shock ending. After his disciplinaty hearing, the lead agent who wants to close down the X Files and dismiss Mulder meets up with Deep Throat whose speech is rather cryptic and plants the seed of doubt int eh audience...we are now left wondering on whose side Deep Throat really is? Is he playing Mulder, or was his meeting with the FBI Agent just a "play along" to protect mulder and The X Files?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A perfectly creepy X Files episode! When done right, kids in horror films can be the perfect ingredient to up the creepy factor. And in this episode of The X Files we get two identical girls, the end result of a cloning experiment gone wrong doing just that!

The girls defintely add the trademark X Files creepiness and the episode in itself is an interesting one with plenty of intrigue right until the end.

Eve also features a scene at the asylum which reminds us of The Silence of the Lambs (I bit into his eyeball...I meant it as a sign of affection).

Excellent story. Creepy factor on full.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Would have thought more people would be commenting on episodes given that Sky Atlantic are rerunning the series and season one was run not that long ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark Shepherd stars as a pyromaniac / firestarter - serial killer in this episode. Ive always thought Shepherd has a "natural creepiness" to him, so he definitely fits the bill in creepy villain of the week.

Other than an entertaining monster of the week story, Fire also delves into Mulder's past. We get to meet an old "flame" (excuse the pun) of Mulder's, Phoebe Green, a Scotland yeard detective with whom Mulder had a bit of a thing when they were studying at Oxford.

Phoebe's seduction of Mulder also serves to up the game in the Mulder - Scully relationship, with Scully clearly displeased at Green's presence.

In Fire we also learn of Mulder's fear of fire.

Entertaining Monster of the week episode with a very creepy villain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably my favourite episode so far! Beyond the Sea begins with an unusual family scene featuring Scully and her parents. We detect some issues between Scully and her father. Shortly after the parents leave we find Scully asleep on her sofa, waking up to her father sat in a chair across from her. That scene made my hairs stand on end. A real chiller! Even though we don't find out that scully's father has died till moments later when the phone rings, the scene was set up in a way that we knew - and with me it worked really well! My hairs stood on end and it gave me a real chill! (This is one of my huge fears - waking up to see someone I shouldn't in front of me just staring back at me! :eek::o)

From an excellent pre-opening credits scene, we move into an excellent episode that plays on role reversal. Throughout the entire episode we have mulder being the sceptical one and Scully being the believer, ina story involving a Death row inmate who claims he can channel and as a result has evidence that can lead to the rescue of two abducted college students. Prompted to believe by the death of her father, and her father "channeling" through the death row inmate, Scully ends up leading the investigation and eventually rescuing the teenagers when Mulder is shot and taken out of the action when he chooses to ignore a warning from the death row prisoner.

The episode ends with Scully choosing not to attend the execution, depite the promise of one last "intervention" from her father via the prisoner at the specified time. As the execution takes place, we have Scully sort of rebooting and in conversation with Mulder trying to find an explanation to dismiss the "truth" she had so far chosen to believe.

Brilliant episode which plays on role reversal and allows us to find out more about Scully -
    "Mulder: After all the evidence, why can't you believe?
    Scully: I'm afraid...I'm afraid to believe!"

Brad Dourif (the voice of Chucky in Child's Play) plays a brilliant villain.

All round top episode with a brilliant story, chiller moments, good character insight, and an excellent villain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A bit of a weird one this one. Genderbender is a bit of a mish mash, combining an Amish community story with a sex /killing spree where the killer on the loose is a gender swapping creature!

Eventually both stories are brought together and we learn that the genderbender killer is a member of the Amish like community who has ventured into the outside world. Mulder and Scully investigate and there seems to be more to the community when Mulder tracks down some weird happenings down in a labyrinth of tunnels below the barn. Meanwhile, Scully inexplicably loses control to a member of the Kindred.

The episode in itself was interesting as it played on the mystery of the community, but then the twist at the end did feel like an added on scene! At the same time, it did make the episode better by implying that they were aliens (who eventually flew off in their spaceship), but it did also make the rest of the episode come across as clumsy writing! If the end scene was always the aim as opposed to being a last minute add on (which it can give the inmpression), the episode could have been so much better!

Genderbender also features Nicholas Lea playing a minor role (a victim of the genderbender). Lea rejoins The X Files in season 2 as Agent Krycek - and in broken continuity with this particular episode!

An okay episode! The ending improved the overall effect, although it can give the impression that it was a last minute addition. Clumsy writing - the episode could have been so much better - still not the worst of the lot.