Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Words that cannot be used on radio

Old 08-08-2011, 15:46
cabbielad
Forum Member

Hi

Someone told me there is a website or something within the ofcom website which shows which words are classed as unacceptable to be used on radio. I'm talking about swearwords, words that might be construd as offensive etc...

Does anyone have a link?

Cheers
cabbielad is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:03
GeorgeS
Inactive Member

Change channels now?
GeorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:08
cabbielad
Forum Member

Haha... its nothing to do with anything I've heard... its so I can let me presenters know to protect them and the station haha
Old 08-08-2011, 16:24
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

I think this is a myth. There are NO words that CANNOT be used on the radio; only those that qould require serious thought before being broadcast - and would only be justified in context. This is already being widely discussed in another thread about the radio watershed.

Essentially, you havae to be mindful of the time of day you are broadcasting to, your core audience at that time of day, and their expectation of what they think they're likely to hear. So - in its simplest form - a f**k in he middle of a hard hitting Radio 4 afternoon play would be acceptable (subject to sufficient warning being given at the start of the broadcast, but on a regular music radio afternoon show it wouldn't.
Mapperley Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:32
GeorgeS
Inactive Member

Individual stations presumably have style guides that prohibit certain words, phrases or subjects.
GeorgeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:40
cabbielad
Forum Member

I think this is a myth. There are NO words that CANNOT be used on the radio; only those that qould require serious thought before being broadcast - and would only be justified in context. This is already being widely discussed in another thread about the radio watershed.

Essentially, you havae to be mindful of the time of day you are broadcasting to, your core audience at that time of day, and their expectation of what they think they're likely to hear. So - in its simplest form - a f**k in he middle of a hard hitting Radio 4 afternoon play would be acceptable (subject to sufficient warning being given at the start of the broadcast, but on a regular music radio afternoon show it wouldn't.
Really?? I am slightly shocked at that........I don't want to be in trouble with ofcom lol
Old 08-08-2011, 16:43
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

OFCOM's role is not be be so prescriptive that it sets down a list of "dos and donts". No guidelines are ever like that.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:43
stripedcat
Forum Member

I assume there is a watershed for broadcast radio?
stripedcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:45
Mapperley Ridge
Forum Member

No, there is not.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1511297
Old 08-08-2011, 17:05
mistermeep
Forum Member

Here is a comprehensive list of words that cannot be said on the radio -

Hope that helps.
mistermeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:08
Dirty Talk
Inactive Member

The poster might be referring to a report that was published by Ofcom some time ago into research they carried out on offensive language on the radio.

This listed various words and phrases that people questioned on the topic found offensive - but it wasn't a 'list of words you can't say on the radio'.

I do think that double standards are in play here compared to television. If I was on the air at 11pm and said 'that song was f**king brilliant,' I would quite rightly expect to be off the air the next night and subsequently asked to return my keys to the studio.

But turn on any TV panel quiz show at 9.30pm or so, and you'll watch comedians and celebs using an F or a C every other word, with no consequence. Go figure.
Dirty Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:13
cabbielad
Forum Member

Yes Watershed radio....
Old 08-08-2011, 17:14
cabbielad
Forum Member

Here is a comprehensive list of words that cannot be said on the radio -

Hope that helps.
Just what I needed.... thank you so much lol
Old 08-08-2011, 17:15
cabbielad
Forum Member

The poster might be referring to a report that was published by Ofcom some time ago into research they carried out on offensive language on the radio.

This listed various words and phrases that people questioned on the topic found offensive - but it wasn't a 'list of words you can't say on the radio'.

I do think that double standards are in play here compared to television. If I was on the air at 11pm and said 'that song was f**king brilliant,' I would quite rightly expect to be off the air the next night and subsequently asked to return my keys to the studio.

But turn on any TV panel quiz show at 9.30pm or so, and you'll watch comedians and celebs using an F or a C every other word, with no consequence. Go figure.
Yes thats the one I am on about!!!
Old 08-08-2011, 17:41
2Bdecided
Forum Member

Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air.

No real surprises, and I can't imagine anyone would have been stupid enough to think they were acceptable any way. I guess no one could claim they hadn't been told.

Cheers,
David.
2Bdecided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:46
RedRoost
Forum Member

Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air..
If i worked at a station with a list, I'd try and find ones that arent on it and use them!
RedRoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:47
cabbielad
Forum Member

Our student station had a list of words you weren't allowed to use on air.

No real surprises, and I can't imagine anyone would have been stupid enough to think they were acceptable any way. I guess no one could claim they hadn't been told.

Cheers,
David.
I know the obv stuff... but there are words also which are not politically correct and they change al lthe time.... and also words which might offend... I guess the list is endless... just wondered if there was a definitive list..... prob not by the sounds of things
Old 08-08-2011, 18:22
Aggelon
Forum Member

Good Morning this is TotalStar.

Last edited by Aggelon : 08-08-2011 at 18:22. Reason: Typo
Aggelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:27
colinhanslip
Forum Member

According to the Scissor Sisters, "You Can't Say Tits on the radio" (or something like that)
colinhanslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 19:32
TUC
Forum Member

Stiff Little Fingers had a song 'You Can't Say Crap On The Radio after being told off at Metro Radio for using that very word.
TUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 21:10
cody jarrett
Forum Member

Here's a little guide from Monty Python:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deAc8-VpUKg
cody jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 21:40
MeicY
Forum Member

1 More.
2 Music
3 Variety

4 Love
5 The
6 Show

7 Top
8 Of
9 The
10 Hour
MeicY is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32
cabbielad
Forum Member

1 More.
2 Music
3 Variety

4 Love
5 The
6 Show

7 Top
8 Of
9 The
10 Hour
Think we know the basic ones... but thank you for the contribution lol... Funny though!
Old 09-08-2011, 03:34
cabbielad
Forum Member

Never seen that one before... but funny!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24
Iworkinradio
Forum Member

There a ranking of word in order of the offence they cause. The ones of the top are fairly obvious sexual ones and the most offensive racial terms.
Iworkinradio is offline   Reply With Quote