Options

Ford Fiesta warning light

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes have tried the ford site they want a tenner for a manual

Anyway....orange light is staying on, it is shaped like the engine!

Comments

• Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    You have a fault - obviously. Diagnosis isn't cheap however you do it. You could buy a diagnostic tool from a car accessory shop.

This will give you a code which will be in the manual that came with the tool.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fault...so it can mean absolutely anything then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anything that the ECU "knows" about.

Edit: Here's some, apparently, common problems on Fiestas/Fusions up to 2003:

http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=ford_fiesta_common_problems_and_solutions
  • Options
    dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    jemimabond wrote: »
    Fault...so it can mean absolutely anything then.

But it could be something as simple as oil, water, or hydraulic fluid is running low, not necessarily a major fault. In the case of mine, it was a slow leak in the brake fluid, and when it reached a certain level, the orange light came on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dawnrayd wrote: »
    But it could be something as simple as oil, water, or hydraulic fluid is running low, not necessarily a major fault. In the case of mine, it was a slow leak in the brake fluid, and when it reached a certain level, the orange light came on.

I think you're talking about different lights. I imagine the one you're referring to had an exclamation mark in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you're talking about different lights. I imagine the one you're referring to had an exclamation mark in it.

You may well be right, I'd have to and have a look to try and jog my memory, but that sounds familiar too!
  • Options
    FinglongaFinglonga Posts: 4,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the check engine light and means do not drive it far until it is checked by a garage as you could cause damage to the engine.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    How old is the car?

It's pretty common for cars to be able to list faults using "codes" from the warning light.
    You usually have to bridge a couple of wires in the OBD connector then turn on the ignition and then the light will flash a code that can be checked to determine the problem.
    A ford owners forum will give details of the procedure.

Course, the warning light might come on for something as simple as low oil level too.

What model and year car is it?
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    jemimabond wrote: »
    Yes have tried the ford site they want a tenner for a manual

Anyway....orange light is staying on, it is shaped like the engine!

How old is the car? Is it under warranty? If it's the engine light it can mean anything from a simple sensor fault to your whole engine about to pack in. I wouldn't drive it if I was you.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Ford KA and you can get the diagnostic code by holding down the 'reset trip meter' button and turning the ignition to the II position. You then keep pressing the button until you get to a code that starts with DTC.

E.g. My problem was what seemed like a bad misfire but the code was 412 which suggested a problem with the fuel injector and was correct.

Check the code in this list. Ignore the P0 before the number. For the example above, my code was P0412.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hope Jemima lets us know how she gets on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before taking it to any garage though, definitely check the fluid levels, would feel a bit silly if it was simply the oil needing topping up :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any news?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I had that light on my Focus, the engine was hesitating slightly under acceleration as well and it turned out to be a failing coil.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Yes, did the Fiesta pull through? :cry:
  • Options
    El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an idea take it to a garage? Just an idea though! :D
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    When I had that light on my Focus, the engine was hesitating slightly under acceleration as well and it turned out to be a failing coil.

That's common on a few Ford's

Another one to watch for on the 2004-2010 Focus petrols especially the earlier ones is water ingress due to a poor seal between the washer jets and the bonnet allowing water to drop into the spark plug bores.