Options

Mount Pleasant on Sky1

bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
Forum Member
Anyone else watching this?

I thought this was supposed to be a comedy but It's like a British Desperate f***ing Housewives. What kind of demographic are they aiming for?

Totally disappointed:mad:

Comments

• Options
    jack846jack846 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite like Bobby Ball. I thought it would be more along the lines of comedy but it's still fine.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers baz from the other thread ;)

I'm a bit disappointed as well as the 'laughs' are a little desperate.
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's refreshingly amusing. I've laughed out loud in the last 30 minutes than I did in 3 episodes of Trollied.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    bazellis wrote: »
    I thought this was supposed to be a comedy but It's like a British Desperate f***ing Housewives.

Its nothing like "Desperate Housewives". DH is well written and well acted with good comedic timing and has a totally different tone.

"Mount Pleasant" is awful in every way. Overacting to the extreme (especially by the main couple) and an absurd lack of originality. Almost every line is something you'd easily here somewhere else.
    The main woman (her from Corrie) over pronounces every single word and is totally overacting.

And what amazingly original plots do they choose for the first episode? A jealous wife and a plot about internet dating.
    WOW! That's never been done before.

This is so dire.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I was really looking forward to this but I won't be tuning in again.....it's absolute rubbish.
  • Options
    greygrey Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    I was really looking forward to this but I won't be tuning in again.....it's absolute rubbish.

You're right! there's nothing funny about it
    I noticed the Dog and Dart pub got a lot of airplay
    It was my local in the 1960's A good pub between Lymm and Warrington
    Maybe the writer's local:rolleyes:
  • Options
    kazi1976kazi1976 Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Disappointed as I had high expectations of this show from the trailers. I found the character played by Sally Lindsay dislikeable and I hated the swearing as it seemed forced in for cheap laughs.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UserXYZ wrote: »
    The main woman (her from Corrie) over pronounces every single word and is totally overacting.
    I agree with this, the put-on way she was walking to, especially when she was walking to the pub to meet the blind date, it was as if she had twisted her ankles. Lisa Tarbuck wasn't brilliant either but I could have sworn that it was proven some time ago that she wasn't a good actress, so I wasn't surprised.

I don't think the acting made the programme that bad, the script was just quiet bland and desperate. A lot of it was like 'so what' such the scenes with Pauline Collins and Bobby Ball discussing over a jacket and so other nonsense.
    I couldn't work out if Angela Griffin's character was supposed to be a mate or boss, and Sally Lindsay's character Lisa was despise by me within 30 mins. I just found it hard to believe one woman having that much jealousy silliness in her and be married, and I just don't think the actress fits the role well.
    That said though it's just the first episode and it might just improve as it goes along, so I might look in next week and perhaps the programme can prove me wrong in my opinion for the first episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I must be totally alone in enjoying it. Me and the OH were in stitches at a lot of the lines.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I clicked over for a short look during a lull in BBC2's Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World, gave it 30 seconds (two chavs in a kitchen arguing because someone was "fit") and decided that the Zen idea of "the first impression is the best impression" was, very likely, completely correct and went back to Buddha, as soon as my remote could dial it back up.

Garbage. Pure unadulterated rubbish.
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I've seen worse. But thats only because I once watched an episode of Hollyoaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »

Garbage. Pure unadulterated rubbish.

Based on 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Can't help thinking there's a bit of Anti-Sky snobbery against this from people.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    Based on 30 seconds :rolleyes:

Can't help thinking there's a bit of Anti-Sky snobbery against this from people.
    30 seconds was more than enough - by about 20 seconds :( and from the other opinions given here, it doesn't sound as if it was wrong.

So far as snobbery is concerned, I think you'll find that it's anti-rubbish "snobbery". If Sky1 makes itself synonymous with crap programmes, that's hardly the viewers' fault.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know where the exterior shots of the cul-de-sac were filmed? It's the same cul-de-sac where Liza Tarbuck's character in Watching lived. Been searching for it for ages.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    So Sky One are still giving Angela Griffin regular employment then? ;)
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is why Sky1 don't do UK drama. They 'nick' US drama instead! :D:o;) Only joking!
  • Options
    BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    I thought it was ok. Way better than that garbage Trollied. I'll at least give this another episode.
  • Options
    InNoctemInNoctem Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I don't recall anything on Sky1 I have liked.

David Morrissey's Thorne was sort of alright. But that's the best I could manage.

Angela Griffin grates my teeth though..Always had.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed it. Im suprised to see so many negative comments about it. It is much better than Trollied. Its basically like one of those light hearted 9pm comedy dramas that ITV1 do quite well. Like Northern Lights. Does anyone know how many episodes there are in the series? I did think Pauline Collins was doing Shirley Valentine 20 years later! She just sounded so similar to that character. Or maybe she always acts like that.
  • Options
    plattyplatty Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed it. Im suprised to see so many negative comments about it. It is much better than Trollied. Its basically like one of those light hearted 9pm comedy dramas that ITV1 do quite well. Like Northern Lights. Does anyone know how many episodes there are in the series? I did think Pauline Collins was doing Shirley Valentine 20 years later! She just sounded so similar to that character. Or maybe she always acts like that.

Count me in as another one who liked it , like somebody has said if this was on ITV1 people wouldn't be so negative over it , oh and Angela Griffin is fit as :D
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping Neil Fitzmaurice's character will brighten this up next week, as this show's already in the last chance saloon!:mad:
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard all I needed to in the trailer. All star cast. If they need to get so many big names this usually means a weak script and from seein it last night, it sure seemed that way.

PJ
  • Options
    GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whimsical, like Trollied.

Good Northern actors and humour.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it too.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    rybev wrote: »
    Well I must be totally alone in enjoying it. Me and the OH were in stitches at a lot of the lines.

You are not alone. We enjoyed it a lot and will be watching again.