Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

"This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer"

Old 28-08-2011, 15:09
DJPT
Inactive Member

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition with Internet Explorer 8.

Until today, I was able to open my FTP in Windows Explorer. When I try to open my FTP it diverts me to Internet Explorer. So I enter the correct login details, and try Page > Open FTP site in Windows Explorer" and get the above error.

It worked fine yesterday, and nothing has changed on my machine since. There are no firewalls etc. blocking anything. I have enabled "Enable FTP folder view" in IE's settings too.

Any idea's what's up?

Also, when I try and add my FTP as a network place, Windows tells me the address is incorrect even though I am entering it in the correct format, and will not let me continue. Completely bizarre, and frustrating! I had added my FTP as a network place a few months ago, then deleted it. Maybe this deletion has something to do with it?

Thanks in advance guys
DJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 28-08-2011, 15:45
LostFool
Forum Member

The built-in Windows FTP client has always been rubbish. Either use the good old fashioned DOS client or something decent like Filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/
LostFool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 15:49
DJPT
Inactive Member

Thanks LostFool.

I do prefer using Windows Explorer though, any ideas on how to remedy the problem? Seems strange that it's just kinda disabled itself

In the meantime I'm using my webhost's online FTP, it's not great but it'll do for now.
DJPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 15:58
barky99
Forum Member

Have used Filezilla (or similar) for years now .... did once transfer files the way OP indicates but had concerns about security after reading up in a magazine/ advice .... could well be a security upgrade preventing FTP transfers or even just junk files on your computer to blame?
barky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 16:24
flagpole
Inactive Member

i think filezilla or similar is the way to go.
flagpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 22:00
JeffG1
Forum Member

Another vote for Filezilla. Great piece of software.
JeffG1 is offline   Reply With Quote