Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Why does BBC weather block out North West England?

Old 31-08-2011, 11:40
epm-84
Forum Member

When BBC weather does the zoomed in map the first time the North West appears is when it's mainly behind the weather person. It then reappears in part in the top corner when Wales is the main focus. If you're in Manchester or Liverpool you get a very brief glimpse of your local area compared to other areas, while someone from the Preston area doesn't even get that.

This doesn't seem to happen for any other part of the country. In contrast all parts of the less densely populated South West are clearly featured.
epm-84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-08-2011, 14:03
Analysethis
Forum Member

It's not exactly a long wait to see the regional weather...
Analysethis is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 14:25
sarahcs
Forum Member

It's clearly a conspiracy.
sarahcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:14
CRTHD
Forum Member

Because everyone knows what the weather is like in the North West?

The North West is generally regarded as having the most average weather in the UK. Temperatures are generally close to the national average. Cumbria usually experiences the most severe weather, with high precipitation and the risk of floods during summer rainfall.

In winter, the most severe weather occurs in the east in Greater Manchester and East Lancashire, over the Pennine areas, where snowfall is the most severe.
CRTHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 15:46
omnidirectional
Forum Member

There was a good example of this in today's BBC News at 1. The presenter was stood right infront of the NW during the flyover. Sadly it very often happens.
omnidirectional is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:30
Gordie10
Forum Member

Cumbria usually experiences the most severe weather, with high precipitation and the risk of floods during summer rainfall.

In winter, the most severe weather occurs in the east in Greater Manchester and East Lancashire, over the Pennine areas, where snowfall is the most severe.
If the North West receives the most severe weather, surely that makes it MORE worthy of coverage than other regions.
Gordie10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:44
epm-84
Forum Member

The North West is generally regarded as having the most average weather in the UK. Temperatures are generally close to the national average.
It's England's wettest region due to the wind being in the west 60-70% of the time and cloud needing to release precipitation before crossing the Pennines.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:47
epm-84
Forum Member

It's not exactly a long wait to see the regional weather...
What if you're watching the weather on the BBC News Channel there's no regional forecast following then. That's even more so the case if you're watching Weatherview because there isn't a detailed regional equivalent.
Old 31-08-2011, 16:47
Its-Gillian
Forum Member

I've not really thought about it before to be honest! i watch fred on granada reports most.
Its-Gillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 16:48
epm-84
Forum Member

I've not really thought about it before to be honest! i watch fred on granada reports most.
Good old Fred. He's ten times better than Diane and Eno on BBC North West.
Old 31-08-2011, 18:21
JELLIES0
Forum Member

Why does the Radio Four forecast always mention Enniskillen ?
JELLIES0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 21:16
slipstream42
Inactive Member

Just as bad where I'am it don't even show the isle of Thanet closest we get is Dover or sometimes just Brighton but thats miles away. But the regional weather obviously does my area. We seem to get the hottest weather down this way and are always basking in it so I'm not complaining sea is rough though in the winter
slipstream42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 23:42
Gaz125
Forum Member

Fred Talbot!!! bout time they got rid,hes so patronising,now whats that ive heard him say!! sleep well because you deserve it!!! Pfffttttt: Diane and Heather put him to shame,though Eno i can deffo do without!!
Gaz125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 10:51
epm-84
Forum Member

Diane and Heather put him to shame,though Eno i can deffo do without!!
At least Fred is enthusiastic and cheerful when doing his forecasts. Diane's forecasts are more like a funeral service for sunshine.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16
AidanLunn
Forum Member

There was a good example of this in today's BBC News at 1. The presenter was stood right infront of the NW during the flyover. Sadly it very often happens.
Then where do you propose they stand? Or do they drink some "Make Me Invisible" liquid?
AidanLunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:23
epm-84
Forum Member

Then where do you propose they stand? Or do they drink some "Make Me Invisible" liquid?
They could pause it and move across like Laura Tobin does in this forecast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrEiGA10xk#t=1m10s

However, them actually doing that is extremely rare. That would add another few seconds to their forecast and BBC like to show a purposeless long countdown to the hour on the BBC News channel.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04
omnidirectional
Forum Member

That's up to them, but somewhere that doesn't obscure the weather in the most densely populated area outside of the South East would be helpful.

The clip above has a good solution - they should do that more often.
omnidirectional is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 14:52
goonerob
Forum Member

Why does the Radio Four forecast always mention Enniskillen ?
Cause I was born there
goonerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 14:55
exlordlucan
Forum Member

It's England's wettest region due to the wind being in the west 60-70% of the time and cloud needing to release precipitation before crossing the Pennines.
No need to show it on the map if it's raining all the time.
exlordlucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 17:19
Gordie10
Forum Member

They could pause it and move across like Laura Tobin does in this forecast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqrEiGA10xk#t=1m10s
But then she's blocking out other parts of the country.

Of course it could be argued that there's no need for them to be on-screen at all.
Old 01-09-2011, 17:56
mikebuk
Forum Member

Fred Talbot!!! bout time they got rid,hes so patronising,now whats that ive heard him say!! sleep well because you deserve it!!! Pfffttttt: Diane and Heather put him to shame,though Eno i can deffo do without!!
He's wound me up of late as well. Soon enough, he'll be whining about it getting dark at 5 pm and that it's cold.

Shock us all that one.
mikebuk is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42
epm-84
Forum Member

But then she's blocking out other parts of the country.
Yes how dare she cover up the London and East Midlands area that she already covered at the start of zoomed in section. London deserves to be in full view at least 4 times just because it's London.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44
epm-84
Forum Member

He's wound me up of late as well. Soon enough, he'll be whining about it getting dark at 5 pm and that it's cold.
Fred never complains about being cold in winter. You're confusing him with Gordon Burns when he introduces the BBC North West weather in the Winter.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50
Gordie10
Forum Member

Yes how dare she cover up the London and East Midlands area that she already covered at the start of zoomed in section. London deserves to be in full view at least 4 times just because it's London.
You're right, but you just know other people would complain if that became a regular occurrence ... and I was just playing devil's advocate, hence the .
Old 02-09-2011, 11:30
SheepdogNo1
Forum Member

They cover it up as it hides the embarrasment of having to show where media city is.

The weather forecast is laughable, they spend more time telling you whats already gone on.

SheepdogNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote