Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

Too much 9/11

Old 08-09-2011, 18:38
late8
Forum Member

There's far too much 9/11 stuff going on in the media.

Yes, it was a tragic event in another country that effected our citizens but the endless programs and remembrance events is a bit overkill. Something has been on TV every night this week on more than 1 channel.

You would almost think we are indeed the 51st state. Does America do the same for 7/7 victims? Is it a morbid curiosity?
late8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 08-09-2011, 18:39
Gilbertoo
Forum Member

Irony alert...
Gilbertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:44
duckymallard
Forum Member

There's far too much 9/11 stuff going on in the media.

Yes, it was a tragic event in another country that effected our citizens but the endless programs and remembrance events is a bit overkill. Something has been on TV every night this week on more than 1 channel.

You would almost think we are indeed the 51st state. Does America do the same for 7/7 victims? Is it a morbid curiosity?
There's a couple of things I need to be reminded of;

1. How many American citizens died in 7/7?
2. How many UK citizens died in 9/11?

Once you answer those questions for me, don't bother to reply, just reflect on the daftness of this thread
duckymallard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:46
stoatie
Forum Member

Given that there's already a thread on there being "too much 9/11", and that it's a pretty straightforward point of view which doesn't really need more than one thread to discuss, I don't think it would be entirely unreasonable for me to say there's too damn much "too much 9/11".
stoatie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:48
Stever7
Forum Member

Yes

I'm not sure I get the OP. You think there is too much stuff about 9/11, so your solution is... to post about 9/11?

Stever7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:50
far2cool
Forum Member

I do actually agree, we're not america, and even if we were,

all this week, on practically every major channel there have been 9/11 documentaries from various different viewpoints,

getting a bit pis*ed off with it,
far2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:54
Hotelier
Forum Member

It was a world wide event, ten years on...of course it's going to get talked about.
If you are sick of it, dont start threads about it and dont watch it. easy.
Hotelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:54
noise747
Forum Member

all this week, on practically every major channel there have been 9/11 documentaries from various different viewpoints,

Makes me glad I watch very little T.V
noise747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:57
Chizzleface
Forum Member

I've managed to avoid most of the programming so far about the attacks...mainly because I Sky+ everything and rarely watch TV live, unless it's sport.

But consider that the attacks were the worst single-event terrorist attacks in history, and it's pretty understandable why it is still being talked about. Ten year anniversary of a big attack, why would they not schedule programming about it?
Chizzleface is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:59
MikeJW
Forum Member

Plenty of UK citizens died in the attacks, and we have soldiers dying regularly right now as a result of what came next, and it's ten years on, so it's fairly obviously relevant, I'd have thought.

Plus, what's the problem, really? Five minutes taken up on most news programmes, maybe a couple of hours per evening on one channel or another for documentaries. So what? Turn over, watch or do something else. It'll all be done next week and probably won't ever be as big again.
MikeJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Baboo Yagu
Inactive Member

If that's the case, then why do you put yourself through the torment of watching the programmes then?
Baboo Yagu is offline   Reply With Quote
*marv*
Forum Member

Well considering it is an event that effectively changed the world, for the better or not it is something the world is going to think about for a long time to come. Lets face it, it is up there as one of the most tragic events to happen in living memory. It wasn't just americans it happened to many people from different countries lost their lives as well.
But lets put aside the fact it happened in america, this is something we should be interested in, at the time it was believed nothing like it could happen, it woke up the world to the very real threat that it could happen at anytime to anyone.

oh and I haven't managed to watch anything I didn't want to, just the odd docu I thought was interesting.
*marv* is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:00
far2cool
Forum Member

If that's the case, then why do you put yourself through the torment of watching the programmes then?
eh?

I don't?
Old 08-09-2011, 19:00
Baboo Yagu
Inactive Member

Then what are you whining about?
Old 08-09-2011, 19:01
Chizzleface
Forum Member

The thing I don't get is, if you're that sick of it all, why start a whole thread about it?
far2cool
Forum Member

Then what are you whining about?
*marv*
Forum Member

well then this thread is a bit null and void, not forgetting pointless.
*marv* is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:02
Baboo Yagu
Inactive Member

No wonder you're confused if you're getting "pis*ed off" with programmes you don't even watch.
Old 08-09-2011, 19:04
BrooklynBoy
Forum Member

The actual event was too much 9/11 in my opinion. Would have been much better not to have it at all.
BrooklynBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:04
far2cool
Forum Member

No wonder you're confused if you're getting "pis*ed off" with programmes you don't even watch.
I'm not getting pi*sed off with the programmes themselves,

just the quantity of them,

there's little choice
Old 08-09-2011, 19:06
Chizzleface
Forum Member

I'm not getting pi*sed off with the programmes themselves,

just the quantity of them,

there's little choice
If you have Sky you have a couple of hundred channels at your fingertips. Freeview has 30 or so...not all of them have programming on the attacks...I mean, I doubt Dave are adding them to their comedy classics...

Does pissed off get censored?
Old 08-09-2011, 19:07
John_Elway
Forum Member

I don't get you people. If you don't like something, don't watch it. Are your lives that sad that you have to rely on the TV for everything? You're complaining it's too much, then you come on here and talk about it being too much.

Go enjoy yourself instead. There's plenty to do.
John_Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:10
thedarklord
Inactive Member

I have to agree with the OP here. It was a tragic even that shocked the world yes but it has been 10 years now. People need to give it a rest with all these documentaries and programmes. We've seen these same documentaries/conspiracy programmes for a decade now. I know I sound harsh but broadcasters need to chill out. We all know it was a tragic event.

It'll be interesting to see if the same attention will be given to the Boxing Day tsunami that killed a quarter of a million people.
thedarklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 19:13
far2cool
Forum Member

If you have Sky you have a couple of hundred channels at your fingertips. Freeview has 30 or so...not all of them have programming on the attacks...I mean, I doubt Dave are adding them to their comedy classics...

Does pissed off get censored?
oh it doesnt :L

always though it did
Old 08-09-2011, 19:24
neelia
Forum Member

I've managed to avoid most of the programming so far about the attacks...mainly because I Sky+ everything and rarely watch TV live, unless it's sport.

But consider that the attacks were the worst single-event terrorist attacks in history, and it's pretty understandable why it is still being talked about. Ten year anniversary of a big attack, why would they not schedule programming about it?
Going to say more or less the same thing, except it's cable and comedy and drama. I doubt that I would know about it if it wasn't for DS.
neelia is offline   Reply With Quote