Options

Do I have to use the Humax Wifi adapter?

Ace GraceAce Grace Posts: 122
Forum Member
Hi,

Does anyone know whether I have to use the Humax wifi adapter with the FOX-T2 or can I use any wifi adapter?

Comments

• Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ace Grace wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether I have to use the Humax wifi adapter with the FOX-T2 or can I use any wifi adapter?

You don't have to use the Humax adapter but you can't use any WiFi adapter. It must have the same chipset (RaLink RT3070)as the Humax adapter. A common choice is the Edimax EW-7711UAn see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7711UAN-150mbs-Wireless-Adapter/dp/B001KOTDDU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316427221&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one I have is :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAMODE-WL-700N-MRT-Wireless-USB-Adaptor/dp/B0042Z4LMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316430948&sr=8-1

Dynamode Wireless USB WL-700N-MRT

It has a Realtek RTL8188SU chipset I believe. Will this work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I seriously doubt it but it won't do any harm to plug it in and see what happens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, I will try! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just updated to latest version of the firmware, plugged in the usb wifi stick. Turned on the machine. Configure wifi is greyed out so it doesn't work.

I will get the one on Amazon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    The one I have is :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DYNAMODE-WL-700N-MRT-Wireless-USB-Adaptor/dp/B0042Z4LMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316430948&sr=8-1

That link suggests that it uses the Ralink 3070 chipset in which case it should work.

The wireless screen will only be active if the wired netwok is disconnected (and it uses the correct chipset).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is no wired network cable in the receiver. I have put the wifi stick in, turned off the receiver and turned it back on but the wifi option is still disabled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xyz321 wrote: »
    That link suggests that it uses the Ralink 3070 chipset in which case it should work.

But Dynamode web site says that it is an REALTEK 8188SU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK,

Received the USB wifi stick from Amazon. Plugged it in and the configure wifi option is there now.

Problem I have is that I am putting in the wifi configuration (SSID, Connection type etc.... ) with the correct password and it keeps saying password does not match.

I know the details are correct because I have other devices (PS3, Wii, laptop etc..) that work fine.

Any known problems with configuring wifi on the T2?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem I have is that I am putting in the wifi configuration (SSID, Connection type etc.... ) with the correct password and it keeps saying password does not match.

I know the details are correct because I have other devices (PS3, Wii, laptop etc..) that work fine.

Any known problems with configuring wifi on the T2?

A few people have reported problems but it has usually been user error. Do you have your SSID hidden?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Solved it. My password had a ' (apostrophe) in it. I changed the password (removed the apostrophe) and it now connects.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solved it. My password had a ' (apostrophe) in it. I changed the password (removed the apostrophe) and it now connects.

Excellent. Thanks for coming back and explaining the solution; sounds like a Humax quirk.
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also had problems with my WiFi password when I tried. It worked if I changed the password to something simple like "abc" or "123" but didn't seem to like the non alphanumeric characters. Pity as those characters make for stronger passwords, it's something Humax should try and sort out.
  • Options
    Kel280greenKel280green Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have just received the same wireless dongle from amazon. After plugging it in, it finds my wireless settings and I have all the strength bars showing, so a very good signal.
    The problem I have is that the Humax will not connect and I get the usual message 'network connection failed'.
    The password screen only allows the input of 10 characters, whereas my wi-fi password is 13 characters long!
    Could this be the reason for the constant failure to connect, although it does try.
    We have three laptops, various games consoles and mobile phones that all connect to my network using the 13-digit password. It is just daft of Humax to allow a maximum of 10 characters. Does Humax really expect its customers to change passwords to fit 10 characters and then have to change all other connected equipment?
    I have only had this Humax HD PVR a week and I am already getting really cheesed off with trying to do something that should be very straightforward!!!!:mad:
    Please help!
    Tim
  • Options
    Kel280greenKel280green Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    All sorted now!:D
    I tried all the different security encryptions shown and, strangely, they all have different maximum password characters!!!
    I finally found one that would accept my 13 character password and we are in business.
    To a very experienced computer geek, very easy. BUT!, to the ordinary bloke in the street, some guidance instructions in the product manual would be helpful.
    The assumption (by Humax) that every user would know instinctively what to do, is not really on.

On a different note, my Humax is performing well and I am very impressed with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DX30 wrote: »
    I also had problems with my WiFi password when I tried. It worked if I changed the password to something simple like "abc" or "123" but didn't seem to like the non alphanumeric characters. Pity as those characters make for stronger passwords, it's something Humax should try and sort out.

I had to remove the space from my WPA2 password before the HDR Fox T2 would accept it. Very annoying as I then had to change the password on all my other wifi clients which were working perfectly.