Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

HTC Desire S frozen, can't turn on

Old 31-10-2011, 16:20
mrs_buckley
Forum Member

My HTC Desire S won't turn on past the frst HTC screen. I'm not sure what's caused it, I haven't dropped it or anything like that. However when I was trying to kill the battery to put it on charge earlier I had 2% left and I downloaded Angry Birds Rio and uninstalled the original Angry Birds and from then on it was just totally unresponsive - I had to take the battery out to turn it off, then I put it on charge in the hopes that it just needed enough charge to become responsive.

I've only had it a couple of months and really don't know what the problem could be, can anyone help?
mrs_buckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 31-10-2011, 17:50
Dai13371
Forum Member

Hello there

It sounds like a classic case of a ROM which has been corrupted. The course of action really is to perform a factory reset. You will lose apps and contacts and photos and all sorts (unless you backed everything up first.

http://www.knowyourcell.com/htc/htc-..._desire_s.html

Turn the power off. If your HTC Desire S is frozen, pull the battery out and reinsert it
Hold the Volume Down button
Press and hold the Power button until the device turns on
You are now presented with a menu that allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
Press and release the Power button
Now simply confirm your decision: Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

Hopefully it should sort out your problem
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 18:28
mrs_buckley
Forum Member

thanks i'll give it a try. Bit gutted that i'll lose photos and videos (although maybe they were saving direct to my sd i'm not sure) but the same would happen if i sent it somewhere to be fixed. I will let you know how i get on
Old 31-10-2011, 18:38
tealady
Forum Member

Not s good idea after 2 months to let it discharge. I think HTC advise allowing this to occur at the start, but after that, don't let it go so low. Lithium ion batteries, can be topped up at any %,so there is no need to allow to go so low before charging.
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 19:45
mrs_buckley
Forum Member

...ah see when I bought it I was told by the woman at virgin to always discharge it before charging. I did think this was odd though because I thought you didn't need to do that these days as batteries are better.
Old 31-10-2011, 20:23
mrs_buckley
Forum Member

I've tried doing the thing with the buttons as described above, it then kept going off and on trying to reboot, and now it's just a black screen with a picture of the phone on it and a red warning triangle with an exclamation in it.
Old 31-10-2011, 21:27
tealady
Forum Member

I would try the steps in #2 again.
Failing that, back to the virgin store tomorrow.
tealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 21:35
mrs_buckley
Forum Member

Think I will be on the phone to virgin - it is insured so hopefully they will send me one straight out to replace it and then take this one back.