Digital Spy

Search Digital Spy

DS Forums

The Iron Lady

Old 06-01-2013, 22:36
Inspiration
Forum Member

On a side note.. sort of odd isn't it how many of todays issues where also issues back in her day too. Think she even just mentioned the French wanting to tax their rich people more! Politics is stuck in a repeating loop it seems! I kept expecting her to say 'big society' at one point.
Inspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 06-01-2013, 22:47
Andy Birkenhead
Forum Member

I despise this woman and I had no intention of watching it.
Andy Birkenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 22:51
Spot
Forum Member

They have taken liberties with some of the detail - when Airey Neave was killed they showed her having heard the explosion and running towards it, but in fact she was nowhere near Westminster. There is footage which I have seen many times of her on a visit somewhere and an aide whispers in her ear that there has been an explosion and she is visibly shocked and asks who was in the car - at that time they didn't know.

Maybe they did it deliberately to show that her memory was playing tricks on her?
Spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 22:59
Belligerence
Forum Member

A very sanitised documentary on Thatcher's life.

Some truths are skewed which is understandable I guess, provided the target public it aims to reach.
Belligerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:03
BastardBeaver
Forum Member

Am watching now on +1. I'm quite enjoying it as a sort of tv film. Got to say I don't know all that much about Thatcher but she's quite a mesmerizing woman it seems.
BastardBeaver is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:11
Andy Birkenhead
Forum Member

One of the things I hated about her was her patronising, whining voice.
Old 06-01-2013, 23:26
TardisSteve
Forum Member

i thought it was a great film, Meryl Streep was really fantastic as Margeret Thatcher, i wish there was more shown on the falklands war, liked seeing about her when she was younger, overall a good film if not all over the place at times

one thing i will say about Margeret Thatcher, love her or loathe her, she was a tough cookie
TardisSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:29
sweetcorn
Forum Member

Watched the film this evening and thought it was brilliant but that's not to say I don't understand the criticism. I feel it should be looked at as a kind of fantasy film but Meryl Streep is such a brilliant actress and I would go as far to say its one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. I couldn't stand Thatcher and remember many of the events of her career and the performance was just so good.
sweetcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:35
Belligerence
Forum Member

Watched the film this evening and thought it was brilliant but that's not to say I don't understand the criticism. I feel it should be looked at as a kind of fantasy film but Meryl Streep is such a brilliant actress and I would go as far to say its one of the best acting performances I have ever seen. I couldn't stand Thatcher and remember many of the events of her career and the performance was just so good.
I don't think anyone is criticising Streep's performance -- she deserved the Oscar, when you consider her note-perfect execution and the other nominees on offer but the film for me was very sainitsed.
Belligerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 23:41
gomezz
Forum Member

As it is effectively a view of her career through her own eyes why is anyone expecting any different?

On a different slant, the audio mix is all over the place and I think it has blown one of my rear speakers.
gomezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:10
sweetcorn
Forum Member

I don't think anyone is criticising Streep's performance -- she deserved the Oscar, when you consider her note-perfect execution and the other nominees on offer but the film for me was very sainitsed.
I didn't feel there was any critisim of Streeps performance but I can understand why people have a problems with the film itself. It could have been better but you could also argue why do a documentary? They tried to fit in too much and perhaps could have done a film similar to The Queen which just considered a certain event.
sweetcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:32
Dai13371
Forum Member

I despise this woman and I had no intention of watching it.
Would you refuse to watch Der Untergang or do you think Adolf is a bit of a good bloke?
Dai13371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 19:23
Andy Birkenhead
Forum Member

Would you refuse to watch Der Untergang or do you think Adolf is a bit of a good bloke?
Well, obviously Adolf Hitler was not ' a bit of a good bloke'
I've never heard of Der Untergang. What is it ?
Old 07-01-2013, 20:30
Zeus
Forum Member

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. I was surprised that politically it did show some balance. E.g. although it showed she stood firm over the Falkland Islands, it also referenced the fact that she had some responsibility for losing them in the first place, with the defence cuts that withdrew the ships. And while it showed she was strong against the unions, it also made very plain that the people that were suffering the most from her policies were the less well off.

An interesting theme that i thought was strongly hinted at was that Lady Thatcher was not comfortable with other women. Not only does she declare at one point that she prefers the company of men, it also hints that she had a close relationship with her father but was distant from her mother, and that of her children it was Mark, rather than Carol, that she was fondest of.

Of course a lot of this was pure Hollywood and it wouldn't be wise for anyone to confuse the film with reality. But it wasn't as sycophantic as i'd assumed it would be. And it did tell a good tale, and indeed was very sad at times. You really did feel sorry for Maggie at the end.

Meryl Streep deserved the Oscar, for sure.
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 15:38
Old.Tallen
Forum Member

Watched it the other night like many others and i really didn't think much of it.

I thought Meryl Streep's performance has been a bit over-rated, she was good, but not amazing.

The period story was nice and it was nice to relive some historic events but so, so much of it is complete fiction. It's irritating some of the dramatisation in the story, a lot of it is simply made-up and some of the events are glorified in a horribly upbeat manner. People who did not live through her reign need to see what REALLY happened and not some fantastical cobblers that will probably wind-up being adopted as fact in the future.

The whole thing about depicting her as a senile old woman slowly losing her sanity was difficult to stomach and utterly irrelevant to who she was and what she did.

Simply put, 2/10 tops for me and the 2 is solely for Meryl Streep.
Old.Tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:12
Uk Ltd
Inactive Member

Might watch this on Netflix tonight.
Uk Ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 19:18
Sez_babe
Forum Member

I can see this being shown on TV soon.
Sez_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 22:33
allthatyouwant
Forum Member

I can see this being shown on TV soon.
it was on Ch4 a couple of months ago but i agree, itll be on again soon.

PS i think Olivia Colman is amazing in this and Meryl has high praise for her
allthatyouwant is offline Follow this poster on Twitter   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 12:30
downtonfan
Forum Member

A movie which was completely all over the place but Meryl deserved that Oscar.
downtonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 13:39
little-monster
Forum Member

A movie which was completely all over the place but Meryl deserved that Oscar.
Spot on

That year was full of amazing performances. Meryl, Viola or Michelle could of easily walked away with that oscar
little-monster is offline   Reply With Quote