Options

Box Office 365

MartinMartin Posts: 684
Forum Member
✭✭
From Picture Box Freesat have apparently launched an on demand movie service on channel 907.

Goes against the FREEsat mantra as it costs £4.95 per month and is only available for now on Humax, to be launched on 'more receivers' over the coming months.

More info on the joinfreesat website.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin wrote: »
    From Picture Box Freesat have apparently launched an on demand movie service on channel 907.

Goes against the FREEsat mantra as it costs £4.95 per month and is only available for now on Humax, to be launched on 'more receivers' over the coming months.

Indeed spotted by an eagle eyed AV forum poster :D

http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1548711-boxoffice-365-a.html

It's not really against the Freesat mantra as it's a IP delivered service not a direct satellite broadcast, sort of a paid for BBCi player.
  • Options
    ZenithZenith Posts: 3,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I will give it a miss.

Tried to access the T&C's on BoxOffice365 website, but the link doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Here's the link to BoxOffice365 on the Freesat site:-

http://www.freesat.co.uk/boxoffice365
  • Options
    ftakeith2ftakeith2 Posts: 3,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can humax boxes from the republic of ireland access this service
  • Options
    walmesdanwalmesdan Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin wrote: »

I have a Humax Freesat box but there is no EPG Channel 907...I've tried updating it but still no Channel 907. :confused:
  • Options
    walmesdanwalmesdan Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another question...why are there gaps on the 'On Demand' section of the Freesat EPG....ie 900 ON Demand, 901 BBC IPlayer, 903 ITV Player, 907 (should be Box Office 365 which I haven't get yet..even thou I have a Humax Freesat box). So what will go on EPG 902 BBC Iplayer 2 :p ??, 904 (4OD??), 905 (5 OnDemand??) 906 ??????
  • Options
    MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume 902, 904, 905 and 906 are all reserved for catch-up services in general, as opposed to PPV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    walmesdan wrote: »
    I have a Humax Freesat box but there is no EPG Channel 907...I've tried updating it but still no Channel 907. :confused:

You cannot see it yet, the channel number is hidden unless you are using the customised firmware on a Humax box and /or follow the link to GC's post on AV forums.Wait for the official release which must be imminent. Based on previous experience likely Tuesday next week. Freesat update day. This means users of the latest firmware on Humax boxes will find it on Wednesday morning following the overnight housekeeping update.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classic example of how 'bundling' works for the majority.

£5 a month for old, SD films, whereas £8 per month on a Sky sub gives 13 HD channels and on demand and films within a year of release.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Classic example of how 'bundling' works for the majority.

£5 a month for old, SD films, whereas £8 per month on a Sky sub gives 13 HD channels and on demand and films within a year of release.

£8 only if you have Sky Sports, otherwise it's £16 which is poor value for money given the huge amount of repeats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Classic example of how 'bundling' works for the gullible.

Corrected that for you Derek.

Bundling is for the benefit of the supplier, not the customer, because it means they can kid you into thinking you are getting a good deal when you aren't.

Hint: if you have to pay a big chunk of money for something you don't want in order to get a good price on something you do want, then you aren't getting a good deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hint: if you have to pay a big chunk of money for something you don't want in order to get a good price on something you do want, then you aren't getting a good deal.

I agree. But I'm sure the majority like a bit of everything.

This where stand alone subscription channels are doomed to failure or high charges. The price has to be high because the take up is low.
  • Options
    White-KnightWhite-Knight Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of with Derek on this one.

If you want pay, get Sky. You'll probably get more for your money.

If you want free, get Freesat. It's very good value!
  • Options
    mastanlemmastanlem Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £8 only if you have Sky Sports, otherwise it's £16 which is poor value for money given the huge amount of repeats.

Don't you also have to have the other packs as well which I thing are £20 for the entertainment and another £5 for entertainment plus.

So not cheap if you only have Freesat at the moment.

mastanlem
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm kind of with Derek on this one.

If you want pay, get Sky. You'll probably get more for your money.

If you want free, get Freesat. It's very good value!

Exactly. For my £8 (the majority who have movies take sport) there's 750 movies this month on Sky.

£4.95 for 300 old films per year (assuming no repeats) is very poor considering that there's 250 premieres per year on Sky alone.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's Universal's PictureBox resold by BiBC.
    http://www.bibc.com/

Maybe this will be on RealDigital too?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    mastanlem wrote: »
    Don't you also have to have the other packs as well which I thing are £20 for the entertainment and another £5 for entertainment plus.

So not cheap if you only have Freesat at the moment.

mastanlem

Exactly. In order to watch films on Sky for £8 I have to pay £40 a month? And that is a good deal? Really?

Or if I don't want sports I have to pay £16 a month for the film channels, total £36 a month?

Sounds to me like £5 a month for an on demand film service is a good deal in comparison - seems to compare pretty well with its real competitor Lovefilm.

I already have a more than enough choice with Freesat over a wide range of genres (I watch the occasional program on Freeview but it is rare) - so much so I have a huge backlog of recordings I just don't have time to catch up with.

I am sure there are some good things about Sky - but I would probably be better off discussing them on a Sky forum ;)
  • Options
    givecreditgivecredit Posts: 488
    Forum Member

Oh pleeeease! Stop this crazyness....
    Sky movies HD (13 hd channels) costs £46.25 per month, £555 per year!

In the words of Jack Nicholson

"Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here"
  • Options
    Gerry WicklowGerry Wicklow Posts: 632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused:Funny, I thought I was on the FreeSat forum:confused:
  • Options
    David500David500 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    You cannot see it yet, the channel number is hidden unless you are using the customised firmware on a Humax box and /or follow the link to GC's post on AV forums.Wait for the official release which must be imminent. Based on previous experience likely Tuesday next week. Freesat update day. This means users of the latest firmware on Humax boxes will find it on Wednesday morning following the overnight housekeeping update.

Joinfreesat states: and will be available from around the start of December.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David500 wrote: »
    Joinfreesat states: and will be available from around the start of December.

Gaseous Clay has posted on AV Forums as having already subscribed and is using the service

• Options
    David500David500 Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Gaseous Clay has posted on AV Forums as having already subscribed and is using the service

Yes it is being tested and you can get it by:

(a) Go to channel 999 and enter blue blue green blue blue. Then press red to enter.
    Or
    (b) Using Raydon's CFW and Channel Editor it is currently a hidden channel 1978.

I assume that the artical on Joinfreesat which states: and will be available from around the start of December is when it will join the EPG on 907.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    givecredit wrote: »
    Sky movies HD (13 hd channels) costs £46.25 per month, £555 per year!

If you're going to quote figures, get them right!!
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get all the films i want on film 4 for nothing think I got that right
  • Options
    peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

16 pounds a month for sky movies what a waste of money
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    As well as Picturebox, I think Eurosport Player would also be a very good addition to Freesat's internet based services.

It is currently £3.99 per month to subscribe directly to British Eurosport's 3 U.K. internet-streamed channels (1, 2 & HD), so I couldn't see the price rising much beyond that if Freesat were to offer the service via their platform.

The quality of Eurosport HD channel is superb, even via the internet, so I think the take-up rate for such a service would be quite high amongst sports fans.