Options

Would Little Mix be better off away from Syco?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really like these girls and they have bags of potential but I don't want them winning for Syco to ruin it all and mess things up.. :(

They will win tonight but I really think they'd be better off coming 2nd and following JLS and signing with a label like Epic. I think they'd handle them much better and as a label who have acts on their roster of a similar artistic style/look would be more understanding of the girls and their direction, and have more resources and ideas in place to help them achieve big things imo. I think they'd 'get' them far more than Syco ever will.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Syco is the best option for their brand of pop.
  • Options
    digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Syco does ruin everything for their acts. They are far too controlling.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a bit like asking 'would the chickens be better off away from the fox?'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    This is a bit like asking 'would the chickens be better off away from the fox?'.

Indeed, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digichant wrote: »
    Syco does ruin everything for their acts. They are far too controlling.

I don't fully agree with that. Alexandra Burke got to the album she wanted and it was damn good album and with some damn good duets.

I think it is dependent on the artist. I don't think they knew what to do with Joe but with Alexandra and Leona is what pretty clear the direction they needed to take.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,500
    Forum Member
    If it gets them the most money in the shortest amount of time then it's absolutely the right thing.

I'm not sure they will last that long in my opinion. They will have to come up with some good material to establish themselves beyond the X Factor winners novelty mantra.
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Yes should take the option to get out at first chance. Because otherwise next year, they will be Guests on stage in the X Factor final and have to put up with One Direction running on and around them pretending to sing!
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Syco will make Little Mix successful - like they have with the woeful One Direction. Ideal fodder.

There are other acts from this year and others who need to turn tail and run as far and as fast away from Syco as possible but for Little Mix - perfect match.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone is better off away from Syco. Very few of these acts have longevity and lets face it Syco have come across as quite ruthless after the first few quid is made. But like One Direction, Little Mix are going to be a one album wonder so I'd say fire in and enjoy it while it lasts.

As long as they dont expect to be the Spice Girls, and take it for what it is, they'll be fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if they finish 2nd, I think they'll get a joint Syco/Epic deal like the last 2 runners up have got
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I don't fully agree with that. Alexandra Burke got to the album she wanted and it was damn good album and with some damn good duets.

I think it is dependent on the artist. I don't think they knew what to do with Joe but with Alexandra and Leona is what pretty clear the direction they needed to take.

Yes ,syco have the worst management ever. I'm glad Alexandra chose to leave them, yes I loved Overcome but most of the song choices on there were by Simon Cowell and the album could have been better imo but all is at ease now she has full grasp of the direction she wants to go with her music and RCA seem to be co-operating quite well with her.Leona should do the same Syco don't have a clue what to do with her.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Of course they wouldn't be better off without Syco. Cowell's company thrives on packaged, mass-produced, populist, shallow pop! Little Mix is a perfect Syco candidate. They are just a female One Direction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're the only act that could co-operate with SYCO.

And Little Mix know exactly what they're doing. There's still a big question mark over Marcus.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does make me wonder

However I don't think these girls are push overs. It's 4 against 1 and they have Tulisa who Simon will listen to.

I hope they get to write their own stuff now or eventually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mich007 wrote: »
    It does make me wonder

However I don't think these girls are push overs. It's 4 against 1 and they have Tulisa who Simon will listen to.

I hope they get to write their own stuff now or eventually.

Sorry, but I see no evidence that they could or want to write their own stuff.They are depressingly generic and lightweight.
  • Options
    staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't want to "ruin" them, [not that there's anything there to ruin] then just throw in a few votes for Marcus :)
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    I think it and hope it will work, but all depends on the sound the girls go for. They need to go more urban, than pop imo. I don't get the GA comparisons at all, no way would LM do a song like The Promise!

I hope Simon gets Labrinth to produce for the girls. Or maybe Dr Luke and Ester Dean (Rihanna, Katy Perry producer/songwriters). Also I would love them to team up with Tinie Tempah or Wretch 32. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, but I see no evidence that they could or want to write their own stuff.They are depressingly generic and lightweight.

Time will tell I don't think they are puppets I am sure they think for themselves.

It's easy to believe the worse because by default this industry is a hard nut to crack.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I think it and hope it will work, but all depends on the sound the girls go for. They need to go more urban, than pop imo. I don't get the GA comparisons at all, no way would LM do a song like The Promise!

I hope Simon gets Labrinth to produce for the girls. Or maybe Dr Luke and Ester Dean (Rihanna, Katy Perry producer/songwriters). Also I would love them to team up with Tinie Tempah or Wretch 32. :)

Well then Little Mix are better of being the runner up than, Simon will just send them to work with Redone if they end up winning.:)
  • Options
    shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

People say that about all pop bands/ acts, but The Wanted, Pixie Lott, even Cher and 1D did write some tracks for their albums.
    People are quick to judge.
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. Simon seems very passionate about the girls and I'm pretty sure he'll let them make the album they want. Cher Lloyd has said many times she had a lot of input in her album so I guess Syco isn't that controlling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People say that about all pop bands/ acts, but The Wanted, Pixie Lott, even Cher and 1D did write some tracks for their albums.
    People are quick to judge.

'People say' means that they MIGHT have sat in the recording studio with the actual writers, nodded a bit and said, 'ooh yeah, I think if I go la, la, la after that verse it'll sound good'. For ANYONE to be able to genuinely write their own music, they have to be familiar with at least one musical instrument. Writing tracks is quite a complicated process. I doubt any of Little Mix can even read music.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Usually I think it is better not to win but in little mix's case I actually think they are suited to the Syco brand and will do well on it
  • Options
    dillandillan Posts: 2,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'People say' means that they MIGHT have sat in the recording studio with the actual writers, nodded a bit and said, 'ooh yeah, I think if I go la, la, la after that verse it'll sound good'. For ANYONE to be able to genuinely write their own music, they have to be familiar with at least one musical instrument. Writing tracks is quite a complicated process. I doubt any of Little Mix can even read music.

I don't know about The Wanted, Cher or 1D, but there's a video on YouTube of Pixie Lott writing "Broken Arrow". I'm pretty sure she wrote most of the tracks on her second album too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dillan wrote: »
    I don't know about The Wanted, Cher or 1D, but there's a video on YouTube of Pixie Lott writing "Broken Arrow". I'm pretty sure she wrote most of the tracks on her second album too.

I wouldn't put Pixie Lott in the same category as Cher, 1D and Little Mix, though. She's a relatively credibly artist. I really don't see Little Mix as 'songwriters'; do you?